iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,116 of 2,153
Well, I did the update to the latest firmware, and all seems ok... I want to note for the record in case anybody is trying to research this question, the iBasso DX120 on balanced output is a great match for the Tin Hifi P1. I am hearing stuff I have never heard in my recordings before!

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,117 of 2,153
One more question.... is there any harm in recharging the DX120 every night before it is depleted? Is it better to wait until it is down to 50% or ever lower?

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,118 of 2,153
One more question.... is there any harm in recharging the DX120 every night before it is depleted? Is it better to wait until it is down to 50% or ever lower?
Same as most players and phones, I normally don't charge everyday but I have only had it for a year, I would figure it can be charged around 500 cycles before issues start

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,119 of 2,153
Same as most players and phones, I normally don't charge everyday but I have only had it for a year, I would figure it can be charged around 500 cycles before issues start
Thanks - that is helpful. The thing I liked about the DX90 was that it had those swappable batteries so one never needed to worry about that.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,120 of 2,153
Thanks - that is helpful. The thing I liked about the DX90 was that it had those swappable batteries so one never needed to worry about that.
Yeah, sad that iPhone "revolutionized" the consumer electronics industry by proving consumers would happily purchase products with built in batteries. Thanks to all there costumers for increasing e waste by around 30% and the fact that now other companies have gone the same direction. Rip dx50 and dx90, 2 of the best daps ever built, too bad there will not be any true replacements...

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,121 of 2,153
Hello, the battery on my DX120 had been draining extremely quickly over the last couple of weeks and now it is completely dead. Could any of you please point me to where I could order a replacement? Preferably from someplace I could get it in a few days in Florida. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #2,122 of 2,153
Hey guys, how do I go back to stock firmware?
Just flash stock image?
I want to remove fidelizer so I can send it back into the dealer for 2.5mm repair

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #2,123 of 2,153
Hey guys, how do I go back to stock firmware?
Just flash stock image?
I want to remove fidelizer so I can send it back into the dealer for 2.5mm repair
i believe i had downgrade the fw couple of times on my dx120, download the fw from ibasso & flash them, but if u just want to remove the fidelizer just flash them from the unit. i've forgotten the procedure since i don't have it anymore.

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,124 of 2,153
Some people believe that dedicated DAP is always better, and smartphones always sound bad.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-and-measurements-of-ibasso-dx120-dap.6943/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/
Based on measurements alone, i wouldn't bother with DX120. It should be a bit more powerful, but i wouldn't be surprised if you find it a downgrade in sound quality.
a little bit out of topic,
I've came from ipod 5 era, then LG v20 and blown away with the sound, but one didn't quickly satisfied, i've believe there is much more to find ( in sound perfection) then I've jumped to dx120 and find my feet in the some called "audiophile ground ) and the story goes on...
yup now people can make a lot just by their smartphone, but they are not the same in quality to the stand alone products, well movie makers still use the 50 grand camera instead of their phones. well unless the eyes can't tell the difference between smartphone camera & red professional camera, same thing like portable audio, if we can't really tell the difference between mp3 320kbps and dsd why bother spend thousands?

just saying...

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #2,125 of 2,153
a little bit out of topic,
I've came from ipod 5 era, then LG v20 and blown away with the sound, but one didn't quickly satisfied, i've believe there is much more to find ( in sound perfection) then I've jumped to dx120 and find my feet in the some called "audiophile ground ) and the story goes on...
yup now people can make a lot just by their smartphone, but they are not the same in quality to the stand alone products, well movie makers still use the 50 grand camera instead of their phones. well unless the eyes can't tell the difference between smartphone camera & red professional camera, same thing like portable audio, if we can't really tell the difference between mp3 320kbps and dsd why bother spend thousands?

just saying...
The thing is, the ear can tell the difference, the "average" person can't tell because there ears are not "trained" but as you move up in audio gear, the difference becomes a bit bigger due to your ears and brain become used to the level of details, when you switch back to mp3 after a long time listening to lossless, you will notice that.

Of course the quality of recordings make a difference, many of today's recordings are made using lossy formats so MP3 320kbps are more then adequate.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #2,126 of 2,153
i believe i had downgrade the fw couple of times on my dx120, download the fw from ibasso & flash them, but if u just want to remove the fidelizer just flash them from the unit. i've forgotten the procedure since i don't have it anymore.
Thanks

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #2,127 of 2,153
IDK why but my last batch dx120 doesn't sound that good, been using it for two days and comparing it with E1DA 9038S and difference is noticeable, DX sounds a bit muddy like vocals are not clear at all and harder to focus. 9038S sounds detailed and just natural. I will keep using burn in cable at full volume but I don't have big hopes. Is this the velvet technology AKM is talking... Also can't really hear any difference between any sound modes so not sure about importance of them.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2,128 of 2,153
IDK why but my last batch dx120 doesn't sound that good, been using it for two days and comparing it with E1DA 9038S and difference is noticeable, DX sounds a bit muddy like vocals are not clear at all and harder to focus. 9038S sounds detailed and just natural. I will keep using burn in cable at full volume but I don't have big hopes. Is this the velvet technology AKM is talking... Also can't really hear any difference between any sound modes so not sure about importance of them.
it needs to be burned in and full volume should not be used. Use a normal volume.

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,129 of 2,153
comparing it with E1DA 9038S and difference is noticeable, DX sounds a bit muddy like vocals are not clear at all and harder to focus.

I'd also wager is also due to the sound differences between the ESS and AK chips. ESS tends to sound clearer with less fullness. Going back and forth the differences will be amplified if you are used to the ESS sound. If you solely listen to the DX120 for a few days then the ESS will sound bright and thin on comparison. It sounds like you may have a preference for the ESS sound though (as do I nowadays).

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #2,130 of 2,153
I'd also wager is also due to the sound differences between the ESS and AK chips. ESS tends to sound clearer with less fullness. Going back and forth the differences will be amplified if you are used to the ESS sound. If you solely listen to the DX120 for a few days then the ESS will sound bright and thin on comparison. It sounds like you may have a preference for the ESS sound though (as do I nowadays).
I think I prefer Cirrus over both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back