iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,951 of 2,153
Yeah if there is one thing I would change about the dx120 is the buttons. I'm not a huge fan of how recessed they are especially on the faux leather case. I really do prefer a potentiometer for the volume rather than digital buttons, however that would take away from the sleek look and also add to the cost. The unit is all about sound quality on a budget after all.
Thanks for answering back!!

Have you tried the Sony Walkman A55? Is the DX120 significantly better?

I bought the M2x but I feel like there's no difference with a smartphone. I really wanna put myself in something that's absolutely better than a smartphone, not just "slightly" better.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,952 of 2,153

I bought the M2x but I feel like there's no difference with a smartphone. I really wanna put myself in something that's absolutely better than a smartphone, not just "slightly" better.

i never heard A55, here's my story... i've used ipod gen 5 for about 15 years, i used it until it last breath, then move to LG V20 smartphone and they really amused me for the sound they are amazing at that point, then i did a little research for dap to replace my ipod coz my V20 battery life is very poor. after make a pooling in my audio portable group they choose dx120 over fioo M9 ( witch is at the same pricetag) i got my self dx120 ( fit with my budged ) and since i don't use bluetooh earphones & any streaming either and prefer to sound quality, really great full i choose this instead others. from what i heard sony daps usualy lack in power and battery life, CMIIW.
pardon my english.

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,953 of 2,153

I havent but as i said earlier to you if sound quality is your top priority i would take the DX120 over the A55 all day long and never look back. The DX120 is designed and marketed to audiophiles who emphasize value or are on a budget, the sony A55 is marketed to the general electronics enthusiast.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,954 of 2,153
I havent but as i said earlier to you if sound quality is your top priority i would take the DX120 over the A55 all day long and never look back. The DX120 is designed and marketed to audiophiles who emphasize value or are on a budget, the sony A55 is marketed to the general electronics enthusiast.
Thanks man I already made my decision. It was kinda confusing though since most of the reviewers out there have a different description of the device.
Some call it "bright", others "neutral", and others "neutral with a little bit of warmth".
The last description's my favorite, I'd like it to be neutral, with plenty detail through the notes but capable of going deep(low) enough if its needed.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,955 of 2,153
Thanks man I already made my decision. It was kinda confusing though since most of the reviewers out there have a different description of the device.
Some call it "bright", others "neutral", and others "neutral with a little bit of warmth".
The last description's my favorite, I'd like it to be neutral, with plenty detail through the notes but capable of going deep(low) enough if its needed.

It's definately not bright, I would call it nuetral warm if anything. The AK chips are usually slightly rolled off so I find it strange that it would be called bright.

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,956 of 2,153
It's definately not bright, I would call it nuetral warm if anything. The AK chips are usually slightly rolled off so I find it strange that it would be called bright.
It's confusing if you can't listen to its sound signature. Anyhow, I'll order it next week when things settle down at work.

I really, really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Dec 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,957 of 2,153
I have a question for DX120 users, have anyone tried using the dap with Purist or Lurker custom roms? Thanks.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,958 of 2,153
I have a question for DX120 users, have anyone tried using the dap with Purist or Lurker custom roms? Thanks.
I use them, aside from the annoying bug when you first turn on the device it gives a blank screen... swiping left or right fixes it. You have to do this every time when turning on the device. If you are not paying attention though you can easily press the power on button which than shuts the screen off, it was frustrating at first. I haven’t personally noticed or tested for a difference with the fidelizer purist rom in sound quality or battery life, I run it anyways though as I’m told there is a difference and other than the screen issue when you first turn the device on there is nothing else bad I notice.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,960 of 2,153
I use them, aside from the annoying bug when you first turn on the device it gives a blank screen... swiping left or right fixes it. You have to do this every time when turning on the device. If you are not paying attention though you can easily press the power on button which than shuts the screen off, it was frustrating at first. I haven’t personally noticed or tested for a difference with the fidelizer purist rom in sound quality or battery life, I run it anyways though as I’m told there is a difference and other than the screen issue when you first turn the device on there is nothing else bad I notice.
Where did you get the update?

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #1,962 of 2,153
I use Lurker's rom and do not have this blank screen problem, or any other problem at all/

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,963 of 2,153
I use Lurker's rom and do not have this blank screen problem, or any other problem at all/

I think its fidelizers rom that has the bug, its more of an annoyance that i've gotten used to already though rather than a problem. There wasn't any incentive to use Lurkers roms because from what i understand its a visual upgrade; I subjectively see no issue with the original firmware. That said I use fidelizer's roms because it apparently improves sound and battery life, neither of which I've tested though.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,964 of 2,153
well i use their free rom, just when everytime i start dx120 first it ibasso sign & blinks change to filedizer twice and then boot normal. maybe it has something to do with how we install it, straight from sd card or software, idk...

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,965 of 2,153
well i use their free rom, just when everytime i start dx120 first it ibasso sign & blinks change to filedizer twice and then boot normal. maybe it has something to do with how we install it, straight from sd card or software, idk...
Could be, I use the software to install it. I wasn’t aware that you could install it from and as card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back