iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
May 4, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #1,411 of 2,153
Exactly...this is all about just trying to figure out, together, what will and won't genuinely improve the music experience for everyone.

Unfortunately it seems that this comes down to the belief that all opinions are equally valid...it's people's egos that prevent them form seeking real truth. But I really don't understand why people get their backs up against the wall when someone like myself asks someone to clarify what they are saying or to back up their claims. There also seems to be an inability to distinguish between honesty and truthfulness...those 2 things are not the same thing.

If someone makes a claim and I question them, I'm not saying that they are wrong or a liar, I'm just trying to determine if they are right, and if myself and others would experience the same benefits that this person had.

In much the same way I don't mind if I make a claim and someone else criticises me based on info they have. Either I'm right and I'd be able to point out that person's mistake, or they are right and they can correct me. Either way, that's a win-win.

Hello! Regarding your volume query, yes, I adjusted it to the same level, and you know what? Even in the balanced output, placing it at a lower volume of the SE, I continue to hear more details. The difference is noticeable, and I'm sure my ears are not deceiving me :smile_phones:.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

May 4, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,412 of 2,153
Hello! Regarding your volume query, yes, I adjusted it to the same level, and you know what? Even in the balanced output, placing it at a lower volume of the SE, I continue to hear more details. The difference is noticeable, and I'm sure my ears are not deceiving me :smile_phones:.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Cool, that's the simple and straight forward answer I was expecting. Thanks.

May 4, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,413 of 2,153
In my review I alluded to the fact that the 2.5mm balanced output, had some real mojo, it is dynamic and alive. It is not that the SE output is bad, but to my ears the 2.5mm is that good. This does not apply to all DAPs but with the DX120,the difference is clear.

May 4, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,414 of 2,153
My interpretation of the sound I am hearing, is just that, "My interpretation", and I don't have to prove what I am hearing to anyone, and no one has to prove to me, what they are hearing. How many times do people on this site have to say, "We all hear differently". I get a little tired of people who preach to others.

May 4, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,415 of 2,153
For all of the DX 120 fans who are not happy with the case (protector?) that comes with the unit, there is an alternative. not cheap but it is hand-crafted for the dx 120 and i can tell you it is very high quality. fits like a glove...no...actually better than a glove. it is stiff like it was molded but it is a soft as a baby's ass to the touch.

https://www.amazon.com/iBasso-Crafted-Leather-Case-DX-120/dp/B07JRF2KWN

May 4, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,417 of 2,153
Miter case photos for DX120 here:
https://www.headpie.net/2018/11/miter-dx120-leather-case-unboxing.html?m=1

EE5EE03F-F6C4-42B8-8EBF-BCFDC9C0AE76.jpeg

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,421 of 2,153
Just wondering...the various Play Mode and Digital Filter settings that affect sound...do changing them affect what you here on the fly, or do you have to stop-start the music or reset the DX 120 for your changes to take effect? The reason I ask is because I can't hear any difference if I change them while listening to a song.

May 5, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,422 of 2,153
@tokyodan The differences between them are very small but you can hear them. You have to read some of the reviews to find out more about it since at least two reviews here on head-fi.org do discuss those.

I have to report on my previous problem about the battery of my DX120. I contacted iBasso and then contacted the shop I bought it at and managed to send it back and they opted to replace it for me because the battery was apparently faulty.
I have now used it as much as two battery charges.
I was able to play just under 7 hours with the first, faulty player.
I have now been able to play FLACs up to 14-15 hours per charge.
A real improvement and maybe that means they've actually changed the original battery to a new one? I haven't seen reviews that mention such a long play time.
Thank you, iBasso!

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,423 of 2,153
@tokyodan The differences between them are very small but you can hear them. You have to read some of the reviews to find out more about it since at least two reviews here on head-fi.org do discuss those.

I have to report on my previous problem about the battery of my DX120. I contacted iBasso and then contacted the shop I bought it at and managed to send it back and they opted to replace it for me because the battery was apparently faulty.
I have now used it as much as two battery charges.
I was able to play just under 7 hours with the first, faulty player.
I have now been able to play FLACs up to 14-15 hours per charge.
A real improvement and maybe that means they've actually changed the original battery to a new one? I haven't seen reviews that mention such a long play time.
Thank you, iBasso!

That's the battery life I would expect. Out of curiosity, what's your typical volume level on the DX120, and is that SE or balanced?

May 6, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,424 of 2,153
@Victorfabius My general volume, SE, is between 40 and 45 since I'm using my AKG N40 iems. It would probably be a little higher for the Hifiman He400i but I haven't used that very much as I've listened to music and audiobooks while walking around the neighborhood.

May 6, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,425 of 2,153
@Victorfabius My general volume, SE, is between 40 and 45 since I'm using my AKG N40 iems. It would probably be a little higher for the Hifiman He400i but I haven't used that very much as I've listened to music and audiobooks while walking around the neighborhood.

Thanks. I'm on a lower volume SE, so it looks like I've got a similar battery drain issue with this second hand unit. I hadn't noticed until recently. Ah well. Maybe it'll get stuck as a car-only dap, which is a shame as it's a pretty good player, and it won't shine in my car. Reinstalled firmware, but I doubt that'll work, as it still says I'm on 2.4.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back