iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #571 of 2,153
Yes, correct exactly I have tried 3 new dx120 in shop with the same behavior

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #572 of 2,153
Lurker, a question if I may. I am ordering modified Beyerdynamic TD770 (to Dual entry), but I have to choose between 80 ohm and 250 ohm. Could you advise which to choose for use with the DX120? Thank you in advance.
I have no experience with both.

Oct 6, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #574 of 2,153
Sorry, I did not mean the specific Headphones. I was asking would it be better to acquire 80 ohm or 250 ohm Headphones for domestic use?

You need to define 'better'

As DX120 is quite bright & clean - having a headphone with a higher oHm would suit it by have a better synergistic balance - as higher ohm 'tend to be' slightly less energetic / be smoother over all
In other words - you dont want a bright headphone with a bright sounding DAP
There really is not much difference between 80/250 ohm DT770 as it is only a monitor headphone and as such is not overly sensitive. IF you noticed the difference it would be quite subtle
I use them for work

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #575 of 2,153
Yes, correct exactly I have tried 3 new dx120 in shop with the same behavior

Well, I'm glad we clarified that :wink: because your post confused some people.

We are talking about a pair of IEMs with non-removable cable that has in-line microphone and volume controls for smartphone. DX120 3.5mm headphone output is for Single Ended 3.5mm TRS connection only. It doesn't work with 3.5mm plugs that have an extra ring for microphone and play/pause controls used on smartphones. Some DAPs uses 3.5mm headphone jack that can accept those type of plugs (they will specify CTIA compatibility), but many DAPs don't. You need to get an adapter to use your 1more headset with DX120. And, btw, the same with Hifiman 3.5mm TRRS balanced connection, it's not compatible and needs an adapter to 3.5mm TRS.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #576 of 2,153
Oct 7, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #577 of 2,153
My DX120 is for sale now. Lovely player with some extraordinary qualities but I am truly & deeply in love with my DX80 !

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-ibasso-dx120-new-boxed-brown.890530/

I am interested to know your reason for staying with the DX80 over the 120 I am looking for a new player myself (DX50 + D14)) owner and want a substantial upgrade over that to make it worthwhile. Want something without blue tooth, wireless etc. and stable firmware.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #578 of 2,153
I am interested to know your reason for staying with the DX80 over the 120 I am looking for a new player myself (DX50 + D14)) owner and want a substantial upgrade over that to make it worthwhile. Want something without blue tooth, wireless etc. and stable firmware.
Thanks.

Where to start...You can the see the huge number of headphones I have owned/still own in my details. Suffice it to say I have been on quite the journey. All through this journey I have been using the DX80. At no point have I thought or even remotely wished to
upgrade from the DX80 to a 'better' player. For me, its clearly a reference quality player. It just does everything so so well. I could go on for pages but as far as the sound quality goes I can find no fault...Literately!! It accurately replicates everything within each album. Soundstage, layering, separation, Everything is just 'right' The low end is superb as well...anyway I would 100% recommend the player

The Dx120 has a style of its own...which can be amazing to listen to & experience but personally I want the player [and the headphones] to dissapear and for the music AS it was recorded to be heard and experienced directly. Enjoying the DX120 for the last week has helped me solidify how much my personal tastes are very much for a reference tuning :)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #579 of 2,153
Where to start...You can the see the huge number of headphones I have owned/still own in my details. Suffice it to say I have been on quite the journey. All through this journey I have been using the DX80. At no point have I thought or even remotely wished to
upgrade from the DX80 to a 'better' player. For me, its clearly a reference quality player. It just does everything so so well. I could go on for pages but as far as the sound quality goes I can find no fault...Literately!! It accurately replicates everything within each album. Soundstage, layering, separation, Everything is just 'right' The low end is superb as well...anyway I would 100% recommend the player

The Dx120 has a style of its own...which can be amazing to listen to & experience but personally I want the player [and the headphones] to dissapear and for the music AS it was recorded to be heard and experienced directly. Enjoying the DX120 for the last week has helped me solidify how much my personal tastes are very much for a reference tuning :)

Thank you for your explanation searching for the right equipment is never ending.

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #581 of 2,153
hello, my dx120 takes 15 hours to charge itself with your usb-C cable plugged into my pc with usb 3.1 port. Is that normall? I though it supposed to have some quick charge feature?

Yes, when you are using quick charge wall charger (QC2.0 compatible one). Even charging it from a regular smartphone wall charger that has 2A output will be a lot faster than using your PC usb port that is limited to a slow 0.9A (or even more painfully slow 0.5A if you are using usb2.0 port).

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #582 of 2,153
Yes, when you are using quick charge wall charger (QC2.0 compatible one). Even charging it from a regular smartphone wall charger that has 2A output will be a lot faster than using your PC usb port that is limited to a slow 0.9A (or even more painfully slow 0.5A if you are using usb2.0 port).

Once you purchase a QC2.0 or QC3.0 charger like this one:

71tSHXeGXcL._SL1500_.jpg

is the provided cable with the DX120 (a USB-C to USB-A cable) enough to reach a fast charge or do you have to purchase an additional "thicker" cable that supports a fast charge such as this one:

UGREEN Cable PD 20V/ 3A 60W Fast Charge USB C to USB C 3.1 Type C(Thunderbolt 3) Video 4K 60HZ (1M)

61kull1Ls7L._SL1001_.jpg

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #583 of 2,153
Once you purchase a QC2.0 or QC3.0 charger like this one:

71tSHXeGXcL._SL1500_.jpg

is the provided cable with the DX120 (a USB-C to USB-A cable) enough to reach a fast charge or do you have to purchase an additional "thicker" cable that supports a fast charge such as this one:

UGREEN Cable PD 20V/ 3A 60W Fast Charge USB C to USB C 3.1 Type C(Thunderbolt 3) Video 4K 60HZ (1M)

61kull1Ls7L._SL1001_.jpg

I had no issues with a stock cable, but if you want to, you can always purchase a thicker one with smaller AWG gauge rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back