1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Paul - iBasso, Aug 31, 2018.
Tags:
First

Back
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Next

Last
  1. BonzerKeith
    Well, I went on to listen to the music for 3 hours, so if that is what you call browsing? so be it. As I said I cannot remember going in and scanning the cards, but if I did it was very quick. With the DX90 I never scanned the card completely, it merely scanned the file when I chose to play it. I assumed the DX120 did the same. When I chose the album I wished to play, it showed the tracks virtually simultaneously, I then pressed the first track and it played. The DX90 used to take time to Scan the album.

2. deafmutelame
    Yes, I get what you mean: you browse a folder, then choose a file and it plays, that should be instantaneous vs. scanning, which should take quite a long time, specially for 400gb cards.

Now I wonder what is the real use of scanning. To refresh and import playlists, for instance? What else?

Anyone knows?

It would be so beautiful if there was a DX120 PDF Manual to download from somewhere over the rainbow... :white_sun_small_cloud:

3. Dobrescu George
    This is pretty much the story about how long the battery lasts.

4. mbwilson111
    Scanning is done to read the tags and index the files so you can sort by artist, genre, songs etc instead of just browsing the folders. I use folder view with most of my daps because it is easy and I always play full albums, but with my Opus #1 which has two card slots I use Artist view because I would never remember which artist is on each card. I do not have the DX120 yet but I assume I will be doing the same with it.

That leads me to ask... is there a limit to the number of files that can be indexed? I think my Cayin N3 has a limit of 20,000.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. twister6 Contributor
    That's expected when using burn in cable since it drains a lot more current then a normal iem. The idea of burn in cable is not only a quiet burn in but also an accelerated burn in, so it's not useful for judging the battery life :wink:

Layman1 likes this.
  6. jon parker
    Thanks for that top tip - I just didn't feel happy running the battery until it was completely empty :)
    Normally I would use the time to burn in headphones at the same time
    So then what would be the quickest way to burn in, or in other words what would be the equivalent of 100 hours using the burn in cable?

Ps: Thanks SO much for all your review work. Its very much appreciated & essential at times !

twister6 likes this.
  7. twister6 Contributor
    I typically run burn in with ibasso cable while plugged in to the charger for 3-4 days. When I do battery test, I use IEMs, set to a normal listening level, playing a track in a loop, with screen off, obviously unplugged, just checking periodically the progress of battery drain.

8. seanwee
    Finally got to demo the DX120

A comparison with my personal favourite at the $300 price point

DX120 vs N5ii

20181005_182311.jpg

DX120-High gain, Reference sound mode, slow roll off

N5ii-High gain, slow roll off

Bass on the N5ii is more detailed and better controlled.

Mids of the DX120 are more nuanced, revealing and detailed.

Treble of the DX120 is slightly more refined and more natural.

The N5ii is more lively and dynamic sounding. Louder parts get louder, softer parts get softer.

N5ii has better instrument separation, layering and soundstage depth. DX120 is flatter sounding and a little more congested.

Both Daps have similar soundstage width

Both Daps have pitch black backgrounds.

gemmoglock and ValSilva like this.
  9. ExpatinJapan
  10. jamato8 Contributor
    Interesting. With a burned in DX120 the one thing I really notice are the dynamics, very good layering and depth. I don't get an congestion even with complex passages. I use the Utopia in balanced and the IT04.

ExpatinJapan likes this.
  11. seanwee
    The impressions are in no way absolutes. The DX120 really is very good, however, the N5ii just manages to edge it out in that aspect.

12. seanwee
    DX120 vs M9

20181005_201413.jpg

Comparing the DX120 and the M9, the difference between target audience is clear. The DX120 is audiophile oriented while the M9 is mainstream consumer oriented.

The DX120 is noticeably more accomplished on a technical level. Its clearer, more detailed, more articulate and more revealing while having better macro and micro dynamics. Soundstage is noticeably wider on the DX120 too.

Tonality wise the DX120 is neutral while the M9 is moderately warm.

13. ExpatinJapan
    @seanwee

Do you volume match them with a spl meter? (even a free app one) or by ear.

And what earphones are you using?

Single ended or balanced outputs?

Thanks

14. seanwee
    I volume matched the daps using a phone spl meter app using a 1khz tone. I was using my echobox finders on the single ended output.

ExpatinJapan likes this.
  15. gemmoglock
    Thanks for the comparisons! How would things like your Sony A35 compare? I hoping to find a DAP not too far off mid/top tier sound quality but with long battery life.

If you try the DX120 again see if you can try the balanced jack, I haven't tried a demo set but the balanced specs look like a decent improvement over the single ended :)

First

Back
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Next

Last