iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #556 of 2,153
Thanks for the comparisons! How would things like your Sony A35 compare? I hoping to find a DAP not too far off mid/top tier sound quality but with long battery life.

If you try the DX120 again see if you can try the balanced jack, I haven't tried a demo set but the balanced specs look like a decent improvement over the single ended :)
The A35 has smartphone tier/budget dap sound quality. It can't come close to the likes of the M9 or DX120.

How much battery do you need?

You can go for the:

M7 which has 20 hour battery life
DX120 which has 15 hour battery life
N5ii which has 10 hour battery life

Or do you need even more?

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #557 of 2,153
If you try the DX120 again see if you can try the balanced jack, I haven't tried a demo set but the balanced specs look like a decent improvement over the single ended :)
Sadly I don't have balanced iems to test the balanced outputs with and my balanced Sundaras aren't exactly portable.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #558 of 2,153
The A35 has smartphone tier/budget dap sound quality. It can't come close to the likes of the M9 or DX120.

You can go for the:

Thanks for sharing! I'm not keen on the M7 because of the low power output/channel separation (I sold my Pinnacle PX but will be looking to get something similar in the future).

I will go check out the DX120 sometime. Do any iBasso models support MQA?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #559 of 2,153

You can go for the:

Hi,
A few days back someone on this thread told that the soundstage of DX120 doesn't feel right, not accurate. Did you feel like that while testing DX120?
Is M9 soundstage better than X5III?

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #560 of 2,153
Hi,
A few days back someone on this thread told that the soundstage of DX120 doesn't feel right, not accurate. Did you feel like that while testing DX120?
Is M9 soundstage better than X5III?
Perhaps he meant that the soundstage depth didn't match the soundstage width.

The Soundstage of the M9 is less wide and isn't as clean.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #561 of 2,153
Lurker, a question if I may. I am ordering modified Beyerdynamic TD770 (to Dual entry), but I have to choose between 80 ohm and 250 ohm. Could you advise which to choose for use with the DX120? Thank you in advance.

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #562 of 2,153
I bought dx120 yesterday.

- would you recommend buying balanced headphones over unbalanced? I was looking to buy Grado GR10e but they are not balanced and i was reading how balanced 2.5mm outputs sound so much better with current DACs.

- where can i find info about filter pass settings and sound modes (natural, reference, classical...)? is there any manual?

- i have Audeze Deckard amp/dac...how do i use it with dx120 and my pc? Deckard has only AUX and USB input...there is no coaxial

- im currently copying flac from my pc through USB 3 port - ibasso cable - microSSD inside ibasso and traffic speed is 1.5Mbs...shouldnt it be super quick with usb C?

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #563 of 2,153

- would you recommend buying balanced headphones over unbalanced? I was looking to buy Grado GR10e but they are not balanced and i was reading how balanced 2.5mm outputs sound so much better with current DACs.

- where can i find info about filter pass settings and sound modes (natural, reference, classical...)? is there any manual?

- i have Audeze Deckard amp/dac...how do i use it with dx120 and my pc? Deckard has only AUX and USB input...there is no coaxial

- im currently copying flac from my pc through USB 3 port - ibasso cable - microSSD inside ibasso and traffic speed is 1.5Mbs...shouldnt it be super quick with usb C?

If you go back through this thread most of your questions will be found/answered

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #564 of 2,153
Im thinking of selling my DX120 is anyone is interested :)

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #565 of 2,153
Perhaps he meant that the soundstage depth didn't match the soundstage width.

The Soundstage of the M9 is less wide and isn't as clean.

changed my mind about my post..:)

Its just that the wide soundstage has pretty amazing instrument separation which means that [arguably] they are not always true to the source. Reminds me a bit of the Sennheiser HD800 S. For my preference the extra detail, whilst being at times remarkable in its presentation is not always 'reference' quality but then, to be fair, the player is not made or advertised as a 'reference' Dap so this is fine!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #566 of 2,153
Just bought it. Like the sound so far but it does not work with 4-pin headphones. A little frustrating I will need 4 pin to 3 pin adapter

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #568 of 2,153
They do work but if you do not insert it to the end. A bit disappointed as my 1more triple driver are 4-pin

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #569 of 2,153

1. The balanced output on this is more powerful - I would think it would sound better than the single ended output.
2. There is a description of those filters in this thread.
3. Not sure what you mean. The music is on the dx120 - you shouldn't need the pc. Or if you mean how do you hook up both pc and ibasso to the deckard to have your choice of using the pc or ibasso as the source, I would use the line out of the ibasso to the deckard aux input, and run the pc usb output to the deckard usb input. Use the switch on the front of the deckard to select the source.
4. You could try using an sd card reader to the pc instead of keeping the card in the dx120, might be faster.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #570 of 2,153
They do work but if you do not insert it to the end. A bit disappointed as my 1more triple driver are 4-pin

Are you referring to "4pin" as a connector with a cable that has in-line mic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back