iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #227 of 2,153
Excellent review as always, that's a hell lot of comparisons with all the DAPs I wanted you to compare.
Thanks a LOT. Is the dx120 soundstage better than that of dx200? I got little confused which one you said better.

I found soundstage width to be nearly the same in that comparison of DX120 and DX200 w/amp1.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #229 of 2,153
My full DX120 review is up here. Soon on head-fi as well.

Very thorough review that answered a lot of my questions on this unit. thanks.

one question on your review, is there hiss on sensitive IEMs in all gain modes or just high gain, which you indicate is your preference? I have iematch already but would prefer lowering gain before using iematch to eliminate or get rid of hiss.... I feel iematch has a detrimental effect on soundstage.

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #230 of 2,153
Do you feel that it's only the volume level, or does the amp section in the DX90 give the headphones more "umph" and perhaps detail at relatively the same volume level?

That is what I was tryiing to say...

Hi guys,

I was actually chatting with @Paul - iBasso about this yesterday.

With my DX150 for example, I can use the IT04 at anything from 20 up to 100 (maybe a bit more) on the volume pot.
Conversely, I get the same kind of performance on the DX120 with the volume from 5 to 40.
I haven't experienced any lack of ability to fine-tune the volume to my exact preference on any song.

This thing definitely has that "Oomph" you are talking about. The headroom, soundstage and detail are all excellent, and I can't imagine them failing to drive anything well, given that I'm tapping out around the 40 mark on the volume, and I assume it goes up to at least 100 :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #234 of 2,153
Thanks for the review could I ask how viewable is the screen in daylight, I have a DX50 on full brightness and it is pretty poor.

In a daylight it does help when you set the brightness to full (or higher than average), but in general the visibility/readability of the screen is pretty good to my eyes (i'm not making general statements, this is my perspective :wink:).

Very thorough review that answered a lot of my questions on this unit. thanks.

one question on your review, is there hiss on sensitive IEMs in all gain modes or just high gain, which you indicate is your preference? I have iematch already but would prefer lowering gain before using iematch to eliminate or get rid of hiss.... I feel iematch has a detrimental effect on soundstage.

Yeah, playing with impedance does affect the sound, but it's on case-by-case basis with iematch - in some it improves, in other it could change the sound where you prefer tonality of the original. Not sure which iems you refer to. Btw, between SE and BAL of dx120, even SE has a wide enough soundstage, while BAL expands it a touch wider. With those selective iems where you would hear hissing with dx120, it's attenuated going from BAL to SE, but it's still there as I mentioned at the end of my "under the hood" section in the review. It's a mild soft "waterfall" type of noise floor hissing effect. I'm not gonna BS with "black background" or "it's not a big deal" because we all have a different ear sensitivity. I review not to promote the product, but to describe the product so people can decide for themselves if it's their cup of tea :wink: It does affect a few iems, and some people will hear it, other won't. Based on my experience, I hear it mostly with volume down to zero using my sensitive iems and when I raise the volume up to a normal listening level - in my cases it's not even noticeable. The only IEM where I find it to be a problem is Andromeda, but as many would know, Andro hisses with many DAPs. I only had a brief listening with Andro earlier, not enough to write impressions, and now it's out for repair (mmcx connector broke on one side).

As I have SE Headphones, would buying a Balanced to SE Adaptor improve the volume level as the Output from the Balanced is higher?

If you have SE headphones, you need to buy BAL terminated replacement cable (if your headphones have a removable cable). You can't use SE to BAL adapter, you will short the output of the DAP because in SE (TRS) wiring the ground of L/R side is connected together and you can't split it to BAL (TRRS). If you can replace the cable and go balanced, higher output power will improve the efficiency of your headphones, since you don't have to push volume as high. In some cases it helps by providing more volume headroom, to eliminate some possible distortion.

Great review. Thank you very much!

DX120 vs. N5ii: As N5ii can be a bit dry sounding, how does DX120 compare in this aspect?

Unless we have a different definition of what is "dry", I don't find N5ii or N5iiS to be dry. In music production, "dry" refers to when you don't apply any effects (no reverb, chorus, delays, etc) - that's a standard definition. In sound description, people have their own variations of definition, everything from a fantasy "flows like a water" to a golden-ear "at 7.35kHz the peak of 2.37dB is harsh" LOL!!! For me personally, I associate the sound being dry when it's more analytical, cold, and fast with a shorter decay where it becomes a little more digital and less analog. DX120 doesn't sound like that to my ears (and I always emphasize to "my ears"), unless maybe if you switch to reference sound mode with a sharp filter roll-off. So, in my book, DX120 is not dry, and you can play with filters and sound mode to fine tune it, to "warm" it up a bit.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #235 of 2,153
In a daylight it does help when you set the brightness to full (or higher than average), but in general the visibility/readability of the screen is pretty good to my eyes (i'm not making general statements, this is my perspective :wink:).

Yeah, playing with impedance does affect the sound, but it's on case-by-case basis with iematch - in some it improves, in other it could change the sound where you prefer tonality of the original. Not sure which iems you refer to. Btw, between SE and BAL of dx120, even SE has a wide enough soundstage, while BAL expands it a touch wider. With those selective iems where you would hear hissing with dx120, it's attenuated going from BAL to SE, but it's still there as I mentioned at the end of my "under the hood" section in the review. It's a mild soft "waterfall" type of noise floor hissing effect. I'm not gonna BS with "black background" or "it's not a big deal" because we all have a different ear sensitivity. I review not to promote the product, but to describe the product so people can decide for themselves if it's their cup of tea :wink: It does affect a few iems, and some people will hear it, other won't. Based on my experience, I hear it mostly with volume down to zero using my sensitive iems and when I raise the volume up to a normal listening level - in my cases it's not even noticeable. The only IEM where I find it to be a problem is Andromeda, but as many would know, Andro hisses with many DAPs. I only had a brief listening with Andro earlier, not enough to write impressions, and now it's out for repair (mmcx connector broke on one side).

If you have SE headphones, you need to buy BAL terminated replacement cable (if your headphones have a removable cable). You can't use SE to BAL adapter, you will short the output of the DAP because in SE (TRS) wiring the ground of L/R side is connected together and you can't split it to BAL (TRRS). If you can replace the cable and go balanced, higher output power will improve the efficiency of your headphones, since you don't have to push volume as high. In some cases it helps by providing more volume headroom, to eliminate some possible distortion.

Unless we have a different definition of what is "dry", I don't find N5ii or N5iiS to be dry. In music production, "dry" refers to when you don't apply any effects (no reverb, chorus, delays, etc) - that's a standard definition. In sound description, people have their own variations of definition, everything from a fantasy "flows like a water" to a golden-ear "at 7.35kHz the peak of 2.37dB is harsh" LOL!!! For me personally, I associate the sound being dry when it's more analytical, cold, and fast with a shorter decay where it becomes a little more digital and less analog. DX120 doesn't sound like that to my ears (and I always emphasize to "my ears"), unless maybe if you switch to reference sound mode with a sharp filter roll-off. So, in my book, DX120 is not dry, and you can play with filters and sound mode to fine tune it, to "warm" it up a bit.

Dear Twister6,
from my side too,man: a fantastic,continuative+enjoyable review of my next audio-t:L3000:y!
Thanks & Cheers!

https://www.head-fi.org/members/twister6.378311/

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #236 of 2,153
@twister6 mind doing a comparison with the plenue p2? :)

With P2 being $1.1k DAP (and P2 mk2 being $1.5k), I thought they were in a different class for comparison, considering DX120 is $299 :wink:

P2 battery of the review unit I have is discharged now, don't have time to charge it up, so just took a quick listen to P2 mk2 with U18t, BAL output, high gain in both (well, headphone output in P2mk2 which corresponds to HG), and I actually hear dx120 soundstage a little wider and a little more emphasis on bass, while P2mk2 tonality is more transparent (less colored) and the sound is a little more layered and with better dynamics expansion. Also, P2 mk2 had a dead quiet black background (with volume down to zero). I don't think anybody will be looking into $299 DX120 as a replacement for $1.1k P2 or $1.5k P2 mk2, but it would make a very nice companion, and at nearly 1/4 of the price - a much better value for sure :wink:

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #237 of 2,153
With P2 being $1.1k DAP (and P2 mk2 being $1.5k), I thought they were in a different class for comparison, considering DX120 is $299 :wink:

P2 battery of the review unit I have is discharged now, don't have time to charge it up, so just took a quick listen to P2 mk2 with U18t, BAL output, high gain in both (well, headphone output in P2mk2 which corresponds to HG), and I actually hear dx120 soundstage a little wider and a little more emphasis on bass, while P2mk2 tonality is more transparent (less colored) and the sound is a little more layered and with better dynamics expansion. Also, P2 mk2 had a dead quiet black background (with volume down to zero). I don't think anybody will be looking into $299 DX120 as a replacement for $1.1k P2 or $1.5k P2 mk2, but it would make a very nice companion, and at nearly 1/4 of the price - a much better value for sure :wink:
sorry about that Plenue V will be a better for comparison, but thanks for the input :) still making a tough decision on a player :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #238 of 2,153
sorry about that Plenue V will be a better for comparison, but thanks for the input :) still making a tough decision on a player :)

My advice, always to start with your budget. Then, figure out features you want: streaming or no streaming, wireless headphones or not, touch screen or not, internal storage or external, how much storage (single or dual uSD), what headphones you are using and how much power they need, balanced or not and 2.5mm or 4.4mm, etc. All this will help with narrowing down to find the right DAP. But imho figuring out your budget it the first and the most important step because prices of the daps are all over the place..

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #239 of 2,153

Looking at the output of the DX120 vs DX90 (for SE PO only):

DX90 : Output Level: 1.3Vrms(Low gain), 2.0Vrms(Mid gain), 2.8Vrms(High Gain)
DX120: Maximum output level: 1.8Vrms (it says nothing about high/low gain)

Is it safe to say the DX90 has A lot more power for SE headphones? If I don't plan on using balanced in the (near?) future, getting the DX120 seems like half baked idea. Perhaps better DAC implementation but a significantly weaker amp?

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #240 of 2,153
Never mind, I stand corrected. In fact the greater than DX120 is 200

Attachments

• F1C3136A-CCB5-4E4A-ADAD-57B1EC396C85.jpeg
    F1C3136A-CCB5-4E4A-ADAD-57B1EC396C85.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back