iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #211 of 2,153
btw, to those who have tried the DX120 out, how does it fair w the FiiO X5iii? i've heard that the X5iii can be buggy or lag at times; a friend of mine tried the DX120 2 days ago and the device lagged lol

X5iii has a different tonality and noticeably more hissing with sensitive IEMs. It's running on Android (Google Play, Bluetooth, etc), and I do find it more laggy relative to dx120. Your friend who tried dx120, was that at the show, in the store, which files, and the most important, it lagged relative to what? I find it to be the fastest iBasso dap out of their line up, and it's as fast as many other popular daps I tested. I'm sure Chris, @Hawaiibadboy will have a video soon, going over these details.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #212 of 2,153
I have had the DX120 for a little while now and have it burned in. Surprising the sound as it doesn't seem to be held down by price. It is powerful yet detailed and drives my Focal Utopia easily and at the same time, they sound very open and dynamic. The UI is fast and responsive, the fastest I have seen from any of my daps and it plays everything without issue. Also the scan time is pretty fast with two loaded card, 400gb and a 256gb. I don't use the case that came with it, I don't care for it but I don't use cases too much except on the WM1Z. The weight of the DX120 is excellent and it fits well in the hand. I think I would put something on the back so it wouldn't slide around if it was on my desk very much. With IEM's the sound is wonderful, open, dynamic and layered. Testing against my DX90, it is more powerful while offering more to the sound. Yep, a very enjoyable dap.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #214 of 2,153
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #216 of 2,153
I have had the DX120 for a little while now and have it burned in. Surprising the sound as it doesn't seem to be held down by price. It is powerful yet detailed and drives my Focal Utopia easily and at the same time, they sound very open and dynamic. The UI is fast and responsive, the fastest I have seen from any of my daps and it plays everything without issue. Also the scan time is pretty fast with two loaded card, 400gb and a 256gb. I don't use the case that came with it, I don't care for it but I don't use cases too much except on the WM1Z. The weight of the DX120 is excellent and it fits well in the hand. I think I would put something on the back so it wouldn't slide around if it was on my desk very much. With IEM's the sound is wonderful, open, dynamic and layered. Testing against my DX90, it is more powerful while offering more to the sound. Yep, a very enjoyable dap.

Please compare the DX120’s sound to DX150?

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #219 of 2,153
That is not important... I do not think of that as good or bad.... just different. All my DAPs have a different number at which I set the volume. The actual number is not important.

..and of course it is different for different iems/buds/headphones... some need more, some need less. Plus a few need high gain.
I am using the same source of music, same settings (High Gain) and the same headphones. In my humble opinion I would have thought that the volume stting would at least be the same as the DX90. You may think it is not important, but that is a matter of opinon.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #220 of 2,153
I have had the DXc20 for a little while now and have it burned in. Surprising the sound as it doesn't seem to be held down by price. It is powerful yet detailed and drives my Focal Utopia easily and at the same time, they sound very open and dynamic. The UI is fast and responsive, the fastest I have seen from any of my daps and it plays everything without issue. Also the scan time is pretty fast with two loaded card, 400gb and a 256gb. I don't use the case that came with it, I don't care for it but I don't use cases too much except on the WM1Z. The weight of the DX120 is excellent and it fits well in the hand. I think I would put something on the back so it wouldn't slide around if it was on my desk very much. With IEM's the sound is wonderful, open, dynamic and layered. Testing against my DX90, it is more powerful while offering more to the sound. Yep, a very enjoyable dap.

Are all of your headphones/iem balanced? Or are you saying that even with SE it is more powerful than the DX90? Do you have an idea of how they would pair with a CIEM with impedance of 12 ohm?

Functionally I am sure the DX120 would be way better than the DX90 but that alone won't be worth the upgrade I think. I wonder how the DAC is different than the ones in the DX90, would you say its a warmer, smoother more refined tone as opposed to more cold analytical of the DX90?

I am using the same source of music, same settings (High Gain) and the same headphones. In my humble opinion I would have thought that the volume stting would at least be the same as the DX90. You may think it is not important, but that is a matter of opinon.

Do you feel that it's only the volume level, or does the amp section in the DX90 give the headphones more "umph" and perhaps detail at relatively the same volume level? Amps aren't only about volume but have a lot to do with properly driving headphones.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #221 of 2,153
Do you feel that it's only the volume level, or does the amp section in the DX90 give the headphones more "umph" and perhaps detail at relatively the same volume level? Amps aren't only about volume but have a lot to do with properly driving headphones.

That is what I was tryiing to say...

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #223 of 2,153
X5iii has a different tonality and noticeably more hissing with sensitive IEMs. It's running on Android (Google Play, Bluetooth, etc), and I do find it more laggy relative to dx120. Your friend who tried dx120, was that at the show, in the store, which files, and the most important, it lagged relative to what? I find it to be the fastest iBasso dap out of their line up, and it's as fast as many other popular daps I tested. I'm sure Chris, @Hawaiibadboy will have a video soon, going over these details.

Tried at a store. Hanged when he wanted to return to menu from main player screen. Await his vid review

For what it’s worth, is the Chord Mojo drastically better in terms of sound and drivability?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #224 of 2,153
My full DX120 review is up here. Soon on head-fi as well.

ibasso_dx120-31.jpg

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #225 of 2,153
I tried the dx120 recently. But I seem to prefer the sound coming from my dx80 more as vocals seem to sound more airy . bass seems to be similar but the dx120 does reach lower and deeper (but dx80 has more slam). Overall ,they seem similar. But the dx120 sounds very thick to me with more brightness than the dx80. I really wanted to enjoy it but couldn't too much. Don't know if it was because it hasn't been burned in yet . But also not sure how much it changes after burn in .Can anyone confirm ? But I did like the sound of the dx80 without burn in ....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back