iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #196 of 2,153
If you're having issues with a microSD card, chances are high that it's going bad. Don't waste too much time trying to save it unless you really need the data.

They're simply not built for longevity. It's a well known downfall to the format. Generally you can get about 3-5 reliable years out of them so long as you're not rewriting them constantly.

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #197 of 2,153
Some impressions would have been nice. :) No need for a full review... .
I am impressed with the quality of the build. I feel that the power output (VOLUME) is lower than that of the DX90 as I listen at level 55 on the DX120 but on 50 on the DX90. The quality of the sound appears better. I cannot give you an analysis in technical terms, but I have been a Hi-Fi fanatic for 48 years, bought my first system in 1970, but I know what I like. I use Bose Quiet Comfort QC 35 Headphones, but not cordless, as I only listen to files in FLAC not MP3.
The touch screen does not seem to exhibit any lag, but I find the ON/OFF button disconcerting to use, with the plastic side cover on it is not as responsive as it should be.
I am using my new Sandisk Ultra 400 gb card without any problems. I am currently loading music onto the card via my PC.

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #198 of 2,153
I am impressed with the quality of the build. I feel that the power output (VOLUME) is lower than that of the DX90 as I listen at level 55 on the DX120 but on 50 on the DX90. The quality of the sound appears better. I cannot give you an analysis in technical terms, but I have been a Hi-Fi fanatic for 48 years, bought my first system in 1970, but I know what I like. I use Bose Quiet Comfort QC 35 Headphones, but not cordless, as I only listen to files in FLAC not MP3.
The touch screen does not seem to exhibit any lag, but I find the ON/OFF button disconcerting to use, with the plastic side cover on it is not as responsive as it should be.
I am using my new Sandisk Ultra 400 gb card without any problems. I am currently loading music onto the card via my PC.

While talking about the volume between DX90 and DX120, I assume you are comparing SE outputs since you are using QC35 wired. BAL output of DX120 is a lot more powerful.

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #199 of 2,153

I’m very interested by the comparison between DX90 and DX120. Do you think it’s worth to invest in a DX120 as owner of à DX90 ?

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #201 of 2,153
I’m very interested by the comparison between DX90 and DX120. Do you think it’s worth to invest in a DX120 as owner of à DX90 ?
As just an ordinary listener of good quality music, I will say yes. I say this because I "feel" that the quality of the sound is better. I use my DAP every day listening to all types of music from Classical to Modern Electronic music.
I would say that the DX120 is very good value for money.

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #202 of 2,153
btw, to those who have tried the DX120 out, how does it fair w the FiiO X5iii? i've heard that the X5iii can be buggy or lag at times; a friend of mine tried the DX120 2 days ago and the device lagged lol

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #204 of 2,153

This is exactly what I am wondering. Haven't been on these forums in ages as I really was content with my DX90 + UM Merlin CIEM combo. Can this thing really sound much better though?

Had my DX90 for 3 years now, and it's still functioning quite well although it feels a bit outdated and charge won't hold as much (even after purchasing a new battery). I installed rockbox on it for the sole purpose of perfect gapless playing, as it was faulty on it's original Mango OS. The DX120 looks fantastic and has USB type C for faster charging as well as an updated more streamline OS with fully functioning gapless play (from comments I read in this thread).

All my headphones are SE and it sounds weird to me that the DX90 has a more powerful amp than the DX120 for that purpose. Might not be able to drive my Ultrasone pro 900 or Sennheiser HD598 as well as the DX90.

There are some really resourceful guys posting here and I am waiting for more info. I remember when jamato08 first posted about the DX90, hyped me so much :). Do you think you can explain a bit more about the amp section and how it matches with headphones and impedance and all that? I have no clue what to do with all the specs I find on their website.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #205 of 2,153
DSC_0018.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #206 of 2,153
btw, to those who have tried the DX120 out, how does it fair w the FiiO X5iii? i've heard that the X5iii can be buggy or lag at times; a friend of mine tried the DX120 2 days ago and the device lagged lol
I certainly have not noticed any lag. The DX90 certainly exhibits lag. As stated the only problems I experience with it are: 1) Turning it On. 2) Volume or Output (whatever you want to call it) using SE phones is not as good as the DX90.

Sep 15, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #207 of 2,153
2) Volume or Output (whatever you want to call it) using SE phones is not as good as the DX90.

Does this affect the sound of the music? Are you saying it is not as good even after you adjust the volume?

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #210 of 2,153
No, that is not what I said. From a "musicallity" point of view (I am not technically minded) it is better than the DX90, but the Volume at the same setting is not as good.

That is not important... I do not think of that as good or bad.... just different. All my DAPs have a different number at which I set the volume. The actual number is not important.

..and of course it is different for different iems/buds/headphones... some need more, some need less. Plus a few need high gain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back