iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
May 16, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #1,441 of 2,153
I asked on Facebook and Paul (I guess he is the same iBasso engineer here) answered that anything above 2 amps is good. But just make sure to get one that is branded "Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0" or 2.0. The XD120 supports 2.0 but 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0

Well, I don't know why, but my Dash charger from oneplus5t is not compatible with dx120 for some reason (it charges very slowly, maybe 500mA or even slower) .. But when I use charger from xiaomi, it works like it should. Maybe incompatible charging protocol? Seems strange, because I believed most of these things are backward compatible.

May 16, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,442 of 2,153
Well, I don't know why, but my Dash charger from oneplus5t is not compatible with dx120 for some reason (it charges very slowly, maybe 500mA or even slower) .. But when I use charger from xiaomi, it works like it should. Maybe incompatible charging protocol? Seems strange, because I believed most of these things are backward compatible.

Some companies, and I know OnePlus is one of them, use their own charging technology/protocols. So yes, it might not be very compatible with other devices such as DX120.

May 16, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,443 of 2,153
Some companies, and I know OnePlus is one of them, use their own charging technology/protocols. So yes, it might not be very compatible with other devices such as DX120.

Yes, OnePlus has their own proprietary charging technology that is not compatible with the DX120. OnePlus calls it "Dash Charge" and it only works as a fast charger for OnePlus phones.

May 17, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,444 of 2,153
Guys,

is there any way to change the volume through the touchscreen (without using the side buttons)?
I ask, because I had bad fortune to have the damn lose screw within the case which happened on some early batches of the player. Now looking in hindsight, I made the mistake of trying to remove the screw myself. After checking with Paul, bought all the tools (including the small suction tool to remove the back) and recently got at it. The pressure was so high and the fit so tight, that only opening it was a feat of strength. Managed to get the screw out, but now there was no way to put the back on again. After about 5 minutes of trying all angles and ways of putting it back on, I thought I almost had it and only needed one last push. That last push cracked the back and got glass all over. Ended up with a hole of about 1/4 of the back, which i had no other alternative than to cover with duct tape and hope for the best. The player works fine, but the side buttons do not work at all, hence my question about the volume change (everthing else can be modified through the touchscreen).

TLDR:
I screwed up by trying to remove the lose screw of the player myself and now I have a cracked back and buttons do not work, so need to change volume in another way (only way I found, was by changing the equalizer, but that is a pain in the **s)

Thanks for any ideas

May 18, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #1,445 of 2,153
Guys,

is there any way to change the volume through the touchscreen (without using the side buttons)?
I ask, because I had bad fortune to have the damn lose screw within the case which happened on some early batches of the player. Now looking in hindsight, I made the mistake of trying to remove the screw myself. After checking with Paul, bought all the tools (including the small suction tool to remove the back) and recently got at it. The pressure was so high and the fit so tight, that only opening it was a feat of strength. Managed to get the screw out, but now there was no way to put the back on again. After about 5 minutes of trying all angles and ways of putting it back on, I thought I almost had it and only needed one last push. That last push cracked the back and got glass all over. Ended up with a hole of about 1/4 of the back, which i had no other alternative than to cover with duct tape and hope for the best. The player works fine, but the side buttons do not work at all, hence my question about the volume change (everthing else can be modified through the touchscreen).

TLDR:
I screwed up by trying to remove the lose screw of the player myself and now I have a cracked back and buttons do not work, so need to change volume in another way (only way I found, was by changing the equalizer, but that is a pain in the **s)

Thanks for any ideas
Please email me at paul@ibasso.com so we can get this worked out.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 19, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #1,446 of 2,153
May 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,448 of 2,153
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
May 19, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,449 of 2,153
Does anyone use this player with a Chord Mojo, and if so is there an increase in sound quality?

May 20, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #1,450 of 2,153
Does anyone use this player with a Chord Mojo, and if so is there an increase in sound quality?

Depends a lot on what you'd consider an increase in sound quality.

Mojo has its own unique sound, more detailed, more smooth, has that way ot expressing details and textures while still being quite smooth and musical, but has a more intimate soundstage, there I think DX120 sounds a bit wider and with more space between instruments. Mojo also has that really unique way of portraying the treble, quite smooth :)

May 21, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,451 of 2,153
Would you guys say that the DX120 is an upgrade from the Fiio X5 ii (2nd Gen)? Or would I be better served picking up a fiio A5 amp to pair with the x5ii? Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,452 of 2,153
Would you guys say that the DX120 is an upgrade from the Fiio X5 ii (2nd Gen)? Or would I be better served picking up a fiio A5 amp to pair with the x5ii? Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

Unless I misread the info, the X5II has more power. DX120 has a better UI (in my opinion), scans a library faster, has quick charging capability and longer battery life.

Unless you need more power than what the X5II gets you, there's little benefit to the A5 (it's a damn fine amp, for what it's worth).

If you want a player with a bit more battery life, a more slender profile, and a more responsive interface, then DX120 may be for you. I find the DX120 to be an enjoyable player that works well for me, because I don't have hard-to-drive equipment. Use case will matter; the DX120 won't be an upgrade for everyone.

May 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,453 of 2,153
Unless I misread the info, the X5II has more power. DX120 has a better UI (in my opinion), scans a library faster, has quick charging capability and longer battery life.

Unless you need more power than what the X5II gets you, there's little benefit to the A5 (it's a damn fine amp, for what it's worth).

If you want a player with a bit more battery life, a more slender profile, and a more responsive interface, then DX120 may be for you. I find the DX120 to be an enjoyable player that works well for me, because I don't have hard-to-drive equipment. Use case will matter; the DX120 won't be an upgrade for everyone.

I think I read the x5ii has marginally more power. I'm ok with the battery life, the fiio A5 as an added bonus would increase battery life in the x5ii. perhaps a moot point though as you now would have to charge two devices. So I guess the question is would the dx120 be an upgrade in sound over the fiio? I think the fiio sounds great but there is always room for improvement. My main headphones are 25 ohm Shure se846 knockoff iems with 5ba drivers, hifiman 400i's and NAD hp50.

Everything else aside, would the dx120 be a worthy upgrade in sound quality over the fiio x5ii?

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #1,454 of 2,153
Everything else aside, would the dx120 be a worthy upgrade in sound quality over the fiio x5ii?

I can't A/B right now to tell you the difference, if I can even spot it. What I can say is that I still have an old FiiO X5II laying around. I sent the DX120 in for repair, and I haven't brought out the FiiO because I don't want to have to wait for the library to update. To me, iBasso DX120 tops FiiO X5II in features and usability. Add style to that as well, the DX120 is quite stylish.

Currently using the FiiO as a USB DAC now, though. SQ on the DX120 will have a different presentation to some degree, and I think the FiiO has a bit more bass emphasis, but the DX120 has a more silky smooth treble (WARNING - based on memory!). The DX120 should be able to adequately handle the headphones. Is it a significant upgrade SQ-wise? Hard to say. I think it's a worthwhile competitor at $299 USD and is worth it for the features. I don't see how the A5 amp will get you any extra battery life out of the X5II, but there might be a way I'm unfamiliar with (and if so, please let me know what it is so I can learn, please!).

Ultimately, if you put the two players in front of me and asked me to choose, I'd pick the DX120 every time.

Note: I'm a low volume listener with easy-to-drive IEMs.

I hope that helps.

May 22, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,455 of 2,153
I can't A/B right now to tell you the difference, if I can even spot it. What I can say is that I still have an old FiiO X5II laying around. I sent the DX120 in for repair, and I haven't brought out the FiiO because I don't want to have to wait for the library to update. To me, iBasso DX120 tops FiiO X5II in features and usability. Add style to that as well, the DX120 is quite stylish.

Currently using the FiiO as a USB DAC now, though. SQ on the DX120 will have a different presentation to some degree, and I think the FiiO has a bit more bass emphasis, but the DX120 has a more silky smooth treble (WARNING - based on memory!). The DX120 should be able to adequately handle the headphones. Is it a significant upgrade SQ-wise? Hard to say. I think it's a worthwhile competitor at $299 USD and is worth it for the features. I don't see how the A5 amp will get you any extra battery life out of the X5II, but there might be a way I'm unfamiliar with (and if so, please let me know what it is so I can learn, please!).

Ultimately, if you put the two players in front of me and asked me to choose, I'd pick the DX120 every time.

Note: I'm a low volume listener with easy-to-drive IEMs.

I hope that helps.

Yes that makes sense and an A-B comparison would be interesting either way. Hooking up an AMP to the lineout would save more than a few hours of battery life on the device because it's not providing any amplification that it would on the headphone port. The higher the load (headphones) the worse your battery life is going to be. The load is than therefore applied on the amp. I havent measured anything but I would venture to guess a 30-40% increase in battery run time. Headphones draw what they need at any given volume you give them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back