iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #1,231 of 2,153
Okay, I'm having a battery drain problem or this player is guzzling power at high rates.
I'm on firmware v2.4.56 and playing FLACs at volume 45. I've charged the battery with my Samsung smartphone charger to get a faster charge.
It takes about 1 hour to get 70% then 1 more hour for 100%. Charging though my computer takes betweek 7 and 8 hours.
I'm now on my second album and have played music for about 1 hr 45 minutes.
The charge is now down to 73%.
What gives?
The battery is supposed to give me at least 10 hrs of FLAC playback according to all reviews I've read.
If this goes on, I'll only be able to play music for max 7 hours per charge.
Any ideas?
I'm listening to both earphones (1more Triple Driver and AKG N40) and PSB M4U 1 so they aren't power hungry phones.

My battery is draining just a little bit better, but I am using the coax out, so no DAC or amp use...still fast draining battery.
Furthermore I started to notice that when I'm listening to a complete album and halfway through I check the screen it is frozen...pausing and restarting has the effect that the player skips to the next track about 75% in...

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,232 of 2,153
HI @ericf,

I suggest contacting @Paul - iBasso on this issue.
He may be able to suggest something.

DX 120 has good battery life in general & as long as you use any recommended charger, 12 V, 9 V / 1.5 A quick chargers or 5 V USB charging, there should be no issue & only take 2 hours.
If you have another mains USB charger which supports any of the above, I would suggest using only that instead of the Samsung charger.
On occasion, Samsung chargers do have minor charging issues though that is more with phones than any other devices.

What quality & size are your flac files as unless they are unnecessarily large then it shouldn't drain your battery this way.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,234 of 2,153
Just got a new iBasso SX120. Charged it for about 3 hours via USB on my iMac. It got warm. But the darn thing will not turn on!

Disregard. I wasn't holding the power button long enough.
I was going to ask if you were holding down the power button long enough but I see you have found the solution. Please enjoy the music!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 13, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,236 of 2,153
I'm playing Level 5 FLACs which is 925 kbps. Nothing extraordinary. All 16 bit. I've gone through one more charge using the Samsung phone charger (5V 1.55A) and I get exactly 6 hrs 44 minutes of playtime.
I'll use the computer to charge the player overnight and check how long that charge will last. It shouldn't be different but I'm going to try.
Anyway, Paul, since you replied to the thread just yesterday, what do you have to say about the issue? Is it firmware related? Should I try an earlier firmware? I do have a fair amount of flac+cue albums and the gapless play doesn't work well with this firmware (v2.4.56).
I'm thankful for any comment.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,237 of 2,153
Pretty interested in this device, I have a pair of Hidizs seeds and am looking into the tin audio T3s, how would these go with the dx120. I'd be coming from an ap80 that even though mostly good, has been a let down in some instances, like with it's noisy DSD.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,238 of 2,153
I can recommend this dap, I had the opus 1s, but it had battery issue so I had to return it. I got this dx120, I've been playing mp3 to dsd files no problem. pretty good battery life. The sound is great ui seem easy to play with. And also ibasso has very customer service and Paul is watching this thread so if you have problems he takes care of you. I also had dx50 before So I love the ibasso sound signature.
btw this dx120 looks very sexy....

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,239 of 2,153
I can recommend this dap, I had the opus 1s, but it had battery issue so I had to return it. I got this dx120, I've been playing mp3 to dsd files no problem. pretty good battery life. The sound is great ui seem easy to play with. And also ibasso has very customer service and Paul is watching this thread so if you have problems he takes care of you. I also had dx50 before So I love the ibasso sound signature.
What headphones/IEMS do you use?

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,240 of 2,153

Sonically, the dx120 is compared to Opus # 1S?

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #1,241 of 2,153
Sonically, the dx120 is compared to Opus # 1S?

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Hello Juan.
Sonically, Opus 1s has more power, therefore, it gives fantastic sound. Also, 1s has dual dac chip, so helps sound more clear and huge sound presentation (to me).
dx120 doesn't have what 1s have "power". BUT it has different sound signature comparing to 1s. I still love what dx120 has an offer. A hundred cheaper than 1s and great sound, I take that anytime...lol
hope this help.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,243 of 2,153
Hello Juan.
Sonically, Opus 1s has more power, therefore, it gives fantastic sound. Also, 1s has dual dac chip, so helps sound more clear and huge sound presentation (to me).
dx120 doesn't have what 1s have "power". BUT it has different sound signature comparing to 1s. I still love what dx120 has an offer. A hundred cheaper than 1s and great sound, I take that anytime...lol
hope this help.

You mention a different sound signature with the dx120. How is that signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back