iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Dec 28, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #661 of 2,799

Quote:
I agree; let them take their time & release a stable product. Well built and capable. We can wait. Can't we?

Agreed, you only have to read the ZO2 thread to see what can happen when something is rushed to market without proper testing and tweaking.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #663 of 2,799
Size wise, I think Ibasso is much better option than the T59, but price/sound wise , only time will tell.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #664 of 2,799
Relax guys. iBasso is in the market from 2006 and has already gained some good experience. Look at the build quality for a reasonable price. They even select good quality audio grade components. I didn't heard many complaints about iBasso product failures. Craftsmanship is very good and circuitry design creates a sense that iBasso team is working hard to make their products not only solid build and good looking but also great sounding.

Quote:

By that philosophy, the Teclast T59 will be a perfect product.........

The photo has been around for how many years now......

I've had some time to play with Teclast T51, and besides very good sound quality the UserInterface was horrible and a bit lagging that really disappointed me. So I don't expect the T59 UI to be other than T51 has. Not only SQ is important with expensive products. In comparison with my iPhone the T51 UI looks like Citizen calculator. The only plus is higher SQ of Teclast. I think T59 will use the same DAC as T51 or maybe W8741. Anyways delta-sigma core almost in any compact design will sound the same. But DX100 will use es9018 that puts out a cleaner sound waves and a lot more details. If iBasso will make a good implementation of Android with proper drivers of sound transport to es9018 and easy, fast and simple UI then I won't even think about Teclast T59.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #665 of 2,799

Yeah, and the prices of their portable amplifiers seem fairly reasonable.

All I hope for is that the DX100 is priced reasonably, and the desktop 4 x ES9018 to follow.

This should at least cost less than the Fostex HP-P1, since the Fostex is designed and made in Japan, in a quiet studio for high wages.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #666 of 2,799
Yes, but the Fostex is an iDAC/HAmp only. It doesn't do DAP, with large touch-screen, WiFi & Android OS. So it could amount to at least a similar price.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #667 of 2,799
BTW in previous links was information that on DX100 the es9018 DAC will receive digital signal through I2S. That is very reassuring. With iBasso experience in portable amps and user selectable SRC and digital filter settings. It must be a hell of a DAP.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #668 of 2,799

Quote:

Yeah, and the prices of their portable amplifiers seem fairly reasonable.

All I hope for is that the DX100 is priced reasonably, and the desktop 4 x ES9018 to follow.

This should at least cost less than the Fostex HP-P1, since the Fostex is designed and made in Japan, in a quiet studio for high wages.

Amen to that

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #670 of 2,799
If the ics are available, the production takes more or less the same time, as any other similar electronic product. The critical stuff is in the engineering phase. We do not want to have hardware bugs or software bugs, at least not at the discussed price point.

possible hardware bugs:

- noise caused by the screen
- too high temperature
- one-drop-breaking-components
- your imagination

I think ibasso is one of those company that doesn't have a bad track record in terms of releasing products prematurely. Look at their long lines of products D6, D12, PB1, PB2, DB1, DB2, T5 etc and those before. They are one of the best company in terms of bringing products to Market on time per their announcement. Best price, fast shipping time, responsive customer service, seldom recall. I am very impress with Ibasso and their engineering capabilities. Really looking forward to the DX100.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #671 of 2,799
I have been using an ES9018 DAC (Headroom UDAC) for almost two years so I am familiar with the sound of 9018. It is not as warm as the more popular Wolfson 8740-8743 line of dac which are found in the CLAS and almost all of ibasso DACs and amps. When it comes to DAC I always like it more neutral and clean and let the amp and headphone to determine the final sound characteristics. So if everything works out right, it should work well with most of the bass heavy or warmer Iems like JH16, ES5, UE11, UM Merlin etc. But I think it will do well with the natural ones also. Of course, this is just pure guess, only time will tell. I am just throwing this out for discussion sake and for fun to tie us over till it is released. One thing I am encouraged is that it has a line out and coax out for those times when I want to go back to my own portable amp and DAC as well as for balance sound like the PB2 and the SR71b. It is unfortunate that ibasso didn't include balance operation and balance out.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #672 of 2,799

Quote:
I think ibasso is one of those company that doesn't have a bad track record in terms of releasing products prematurely. Look at their long lines of products D6, D12, PB1, PB2, DB1, DB2, T5 etc and those before. They are one of the best company in terms of bringing products to Market on time per their announcement. Best price, fast shipping time, responsive customer service, seldom recall. I am very impress with Ibasso and their engineering capabilities. Really looking forward to the DX100.

You are right. Actually I do not expect such bugs from iBasso. I have a D10, which is amazing, both in SQ and build quality. But, you know, always kind of think about the T51...

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #673 of 2,799
TieX, whilst post count isnt everything and you could easily be a previous Head-Fier reincarnated, were you here when people started complaining about the DAC in their D4 failing ? How about the DAC issues with the D6 ? I've enjoyed every iBasso product I've ever owned (T3,D4,P4), but I don't put them on a pedestal - particularly when it comes to a product segment they haven't yet explored.

There are several new toys slated for debut in early 2012, and right now I have my eye on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

The spec sheet has plenty of 'gee whiz !', I've had a good run from Sony gear and I enjoyed the earlier PSP, but it wasn't until I read a review (a review was more than the press release rehashed..) that the Vita's Achilles Heel was revealed.

However, there's something here that needs some attention -- we need longer battery life. Like we said in our 3DS review, it's a high price for a handheld device that lasts through just three hours of playtime -- a battery performance that's enough to make even the Thunderbolt smirk.

For me, that's a deal-breaker, even at 349AUD for the Wi-Fi model. I will need to see real-world battery estimates on the DX100 before I part with a shekel. iBasso isnt Sony (or HiFiMan or Colorfly ..), and this isn't a games console, but some things never change. iBasso needs to get the little things right - I have no doubt that they can assemble high-quality 'audiophile-approved' parts into a case : anyone with a T51 will know the difference between good parts and the sum of those parts.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #674 of 2,799
It sure looks nice. I have enjoyed all my iBasso products. 64gb and micro sd is great, and I realize know after some reading that the dac in this dap is interesting. But I need to read some mighty positive reviews before spending the presumed amount of 500-700 dollars. I know the dx100 have many other qualities, gain switch and outputs, but imo the clip+ and old ipods provides so much value for the price.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #675 of 2,799

Quote:
TieX, whilst post count isnt everything and you could easily be a previous Head-Fier reincarnated, were you here when people started complaining about the DAC in their D4 failing ? How about the DAC issues with the D6 ? I've enjoyed every iBasso product I've ever owned (T3,D4,P4), but I don't put them on a pedestal - particularly when it comes to a product segment they haven't yet explored.

There are several new toys slated for debut in early 2012, and right now I have my eye on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Vita

The spec sheet has plenty of 'gee whiz !', I've had a good run from Sony gear and I enjoyed the earlier PSP, but it wasn't until I read a review (a review was more than the press release rehashed..) that the Vita's Achilles Heel was revealed.

However, there's something here that needs some attention -- we need longer battery life. Like we said in our 3DS review, it's a high price for a handheld device that lasts through just three hours of playtime -- a battery performance that's enough to make even the Thunderbolt smirk.

For me, that's a deal-breaker, even at 349AUD for the Wi-Fi model. I will need to see real-world battery estimates on the DX100 before I part with a shekel. iBasso isnt Sony (or HiFiMan or Colorfly ..), and this isn't a games console, but some things never change. iBasso needs to get the little things right - I have no doubt that they can assemble high-quality 'audiophile-approved' parts into a case : anyone with a T51 will know the difference between good parts and the sum of those parts.

Shouldn't have clicked on the Wikipedia link. Jimmy Wales's face just ruined my mood :frowning2:

I love how the T51 uses two DACs for a non balanced output, with a mediocre opamp for the headphone out. Even a max9722 could have done better... still  love it<3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back