iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #11,461 of 13,503
Quote:
Firmware upgrade. Two thumbs UP. Very good drive and resolution. The DX has matured very well with this upgrade. The combination of my ESW10 JPN and the DX works very, very well together.  

It's still a little early but are you preferring this to 1.2.7 right now?  I'm going to have to try it myself.  It's really not a problem switching back but sometimes I'm kinda lazy.  I sort of recall the early consensus on 1.3.5 being positive before some changed back.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #11,462 of 13,503
1.4.2 is better than 1.2.7. It's sort of evolution of 1.3.7 with a little warmth in sound, more weight and clearity. Try it. If You liked 1.3.7, You'd like 1.4.2. And the changes are not significant. Personally I didn't recognise them from the begining

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #11,463 of 13,503
So far, I feel that the latest update is very well done. At this point, I have had no "hiccups" during playback as before and the EQ is now at the same level as the native play when it is turned on. What I like best is that the player now resumes at the last played file. Very smooth and snappy screen response. No complaints at all about the SQ with any of my phones.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #11,467 of 13,503
I retested mine tonight and sure enough, the volume did drop as with previous firmwares. I tried it several times before I posted the "fix", and it seemed to be repeatably the same, but clearly something was amiss, as tonight the volume does change when switching the EQ. :mad:

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #11,470 of 13,503
Quote:
I looked an eBay for one if these players and the lowest price is £619! It's very expensive. Is it really worth that though?

I think the answer to this question is going to be highly subjective.However there's only been a handful of DAPs that's lasted longer than the "flavour of the month/quarter" and at least to my perception the DX100 has been one of those that hasn't faded in the 15 months it's been out despite newer products coming out.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11,471 of 13,503
I've had my DX100 for a full year, longer than any other piece of head fi gear I've ever had. I use mine every day and I still get impressed. Totally worth it, but take a look at the upcoming DX50 as well :)

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #11,472 of 13,503
Quote:
I looked an eBay for one if these players and the lowest price is £619! It's very expensive. Is it really worth that though?

After a year of mine I remain impressed and wouldn't dream of downgrading nor have I seen anything that has tempted me to upgrade.

I don't think you'll find a single box solution of this quality for a better price...

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #11,473 of 13,503
Quote:

Yesterday I was showing off my new F111/DX100 rig to my 70+ yo housemate. She's no audiophile, listens to radio and TV with really cheap earphones.  When the music started playing she got a look of wonder on her face and said "Where's that music coming from?"  She listened for a while then asked the price.  I told her and she said "It's worth it".

Perhaps if one is listening to dynamically compressed, low bit rate mp3 pop music the difference might not be as pronounced. I know that some of my old ZZ Top 128kps mps tracks are just unlistenable now. But on a good classical recording the clarity and accuracy of the F111/DX100 enables me to enjoy subtleties of counterpoint and harmonies that I'd missed before even in pieces I'm very familiar with.

I have a Clip+ and Cowon J3, both sound quite good, but to me the DX100 is easily worth it for the lossless classical music I listen to.

Of course YMMV

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #11,474 of 13,503
Quote:

A word of warning though...

Since buying the DX100, I've also bought  ACS T1 custom IEMs, because the Shure 535 didn't do it justice; then there was the small matter of of the Audeze LCD2 because obviously you want something a bit more open to listen when you're at home; then the Sciit Lyr, because although the DX100 drives the LCD2 well, it's so much better with the amp (let's gloss over the risk of getting addicted to tube rolling); then you'll want hi resolution albums to listen to...

I'm not counting and I don't regret a penny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back