iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #10,742 of 13,503
Quote:
One thing I've noticed since reverting back to 1.2.7 is that when I boot up the DX100 or try to connect with USB to upload music I get this message ...

"! Sorry!
The application Launcher
(process com.android.
Mylauncher2) has stopped
unexpectedly. Please try again."

I don't use any android apps ... does anyone else get that?

I got that all the time on 1.2.7. The fact of using, or not using android apps is not related to the problem. I don't know what it was, but that particular problem went away with 1.3.5.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #10,743 of 13,503
Quote:
Yes, rice wine can take it toll. One of our friends, playing cards with his buds in a remote village (China) drank two bottles of 57 proof by himself. Didn't see him for 2 days.

I am still comparing the DX100 to the AK100. I find the DX100 to have more authority and a more fluid sound and just a larger sound scape. Still letting the AK100 run all the time to make sure it is well burned in. It has well over 300 hours on it now.

From your listening experience, it seems like DX100 has better control over the sound quality than AK100.
But from what I read in this forum that the SQ in DX100 is depending very much on the loaded firmware.
I'm just curious why there is quite frequence firmware update from iBasso?
Why iBasso DX 100 still with old Android OS and not the latest Jeally Bean?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #10,744 of 13,503
Quote:
Why iBasso DX 100 still with old Android OS and not the latest Jeally Bean?

No intent to pick on your post cyber...but I always get a chuckle when someone asks if the DX100 will run on Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, or whatever the next version of the day is coming next (maybe that will be called "Graham Cracker Crust"
smily_headphones1.gif
). 

I can appreciate the allure of having the latest operating system, but frankly the DX100 is not a cutting edge smartphone or tablet and never will be.  I would rather iBasso invest their resources into giving us a quality firmware with full functionality and the great sound we know this device can produce.  That seems time better spent than trying to shoehorn in a new operating system that the unit probably can't run well anyways due to lack of CPU power or memory. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #10,746 of 13,503
Quote:
...was mucking around with Rockbox on the DX today, nice clean interface, super responsive, liking it a lot

Whoah!

And does it use the Sabre DAC to its full potential? 24/192 & all?! This might be the achievement that will definitely crown the DX100!!

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #10,748 of 13,503
I see upon research that RockBox has been ported to Android, so that's in fact what you have installed, the RockBox app, OK. I wasn't aware it was available like that aside from the alternative OS concept.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #10,750 of 13,503
Quote:
Quote:
I see upon research that RockBox has been ported to Android, so that's in fact what you have installed, the RockBox app, OK. I wasn't aware it was available like that aside from the alternative OS concept.

Yes indeed, just a simple .apk install. 'works great though; 'just wish it could access the Sabre DAC.

Indeed, that would be the bee's knees!

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #10,751 of 13,503
Quote:
Alas I think not. While it plays my 24bit 192 files it definitely does not sound as good as the inbuilt player, we need iBasso to release the API stat! So close yet so far

Rockbox is great for the Clip+... it's no good for players like the DX100 ... it can't play high resolution files at the resolution they're supposed to be played at ... they are degraded.

"24bit 192 files" are degraded to bog standard CD quality with Rockbox  ... that's why I don't use my Clip+ anymore ... I'm thinking about donating it to the Museum in Leeds ...

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #10,752 of 13,503
Quote:
Rockbox is great for the Clip+... it's no good for players like the DX100 ... it can't play high resolution files at the resolution they're supposed to be played at ... they are degraded.

"24bit 192 files" are degraded to bog standard CD quality with Rockbox  ... that's why I don't use my Clip+ anymore ... I'm thinking about donating it to the Museum in Leeds ...

Have to say though the SansaClip+ (with Rockbox) did pull me through some hard times and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who just wants to pull through those hard times ...
Go for it ...

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #10,753 of 13,503
Quote:

You just woke me up from my dream. Care to divulge more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back