iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #8,341 of 13,503
Plz people stop posting new sh*@ im tempted to buy . My funds are dried up and my credit cards are getting squeezed LOL

How crazy good is that sound any how ?

PS My HD800s do an ok job of sharing my sounds with others whether i wish to or not LOL

Cheers

Don't get me wrong it ain't no hi-fi but it's as close as you'll get for the size, astounding imaging for the size, designed by a rocket scientist, so must be good lol. It has a fair amount of bass but I think the foxlo sub should make it, for me, the perfect take anywhere stereo system. It's just so dam small, people can't believe the sound is coming from this little box, the dx helps of course. Battery craps all over the dx however, 15 hours or so

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #8,342 of 13,503
As a former S:Flo2 owner, it's a MUCH better device, I mean if you think the touch screen is a PITA to use on this thing and the bugs are annoying then you'd have put your foot through that thing until it's a fine powder.... although this doesn't mean the DX100 is polished and feels like a finished bit of kit, because it doesn't, at least on the software side of things.

My only gripe with usage is track fade-in, bar that I'm enjoying it. I also agree about the battery indicator just being wrong wrong wrong. I'll gladly sell the DX100 if someone else has a one-box that sounds as good as this but has the software to back it up, but atm it's all 'maybe this will when it comes out in xyz amount of time'. Got to listen to something and I'm put off by stacks with interconnects. I can fit this thing straight into my jeans pocket (is that a DAP in your pocket or are you happy to see me? does apply though!) plus this can fit a crazy amount of music on for a flash memory player. It's not all bad. It's not all good though and I think that's reflected pretty repeatedly in the thread - it's just that it's a long thread.

Is the HIFIman 901 the answer?

Oh and BTW you have swung me back to trying the DX again as soon as
I return home from my trip. What did you say "Identity crisis" LOL

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #8,343 of 13,503
Quote:
Going to go against the recent grain here and say that after over a month of use I've had no real issues, slight fade in on tracks but nothing else to really moan about.
The tracks all appear in the correct order etc.
Now despite recent posts I would heartily recommend this to anyone.  Sound quality is as we all know excellent, UI isnt really that bad, I've used worse from Hisoundaudio and Cowon amongst others.

I don't think this is against the grain. There are many, many users of the DX with no real problems. I use it every day to play music and have zero problems. The UI for me, is fast and gets to the music and I can go into albums or artists to pick what I want to listen to. I have had a few emails from people who don't want to post their impressions because they don't feel like being questioned about the fact that they don't have any real problems with the use of the DX100. Some like the PortaPro, some don't and some like Ultrasone and some don't. Some like to throw rocks by hand and some like to use the sling (preferences in Chile, Bolivia and Tibet that I have noticed). It's all good. :^)

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #8,344 of 13,503
Quote:
Don't get me wrong it ain't no hi-fi but it's as close as you'll get for the size, astounding imaging for the size, designed by a rocket scientist, so must be good lol. It has a fair amount of bass but I think the foxlo sub should make it, for me, the perfect take anywhere stereo system. It's just so dam small, people can't believe the sound is coming from this little box, the dx helps of course. Battery craps all over the dx however, 15 hours or so

Well it aint rochet science....but it was a rocket scientist lol

Dont take alot to poo poo on DX100 battery

Ya tnx now im tempted

Cheers

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #8,345 of 13,503
ultimately, the ONLY good thing I have heard about the DX100 in this thread is the sound quality.

I don't have any issues with that, mainly because I can't tell that much of a difference. I belong to the kind of people with I have $800 to spend on a DAP so I was looking around for a $800 DAP.

The point is other than the SQ ALL other aspects of the devices feel so sub standard. The battery life is terrible. The Tracks get jumbled up all the time. The player pops like crazy. I am wondering whether the engineering team did a proper job. I design ICs for a living, and I shudder to think if the DX100 has actually ran any reliability testing... probably not and with the attention to detail shown by the design team, I wonder how long the DX100 will actually last....

The rest of the DAP feels like a $20 DAP.... I am wondering now if it will last as long as a $20 DAP.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #8,346 of 13,503
ultimately, the ONLY good thing I have heard about the DX100 in this thread is the sound quality.

I don't have any issues with that, mainly because I can't tell that much of a difference. I belong to the kind of people with I have $800 to spend on a DAP so I was looking around for a $800 DAP.

The point is other than the SQ ALL other aspects of the devices feel so sub standard. The battery life is terrible. The Tracks get jumbled up all the time. The player pops like crazy. I am wondering whether the engineering team did a proper job. I design ICs for a living, and I shudder to think if the DX100 has actually ran any reliability testing... probably not and with the attention to detail shown by the design team, I wonder how long the DX100 will actually last....

The rest of the DAP feels like a $20 DAP.... I am wondering now if it will last as long as a $20 DAP.

How long have you had yours?
Can you compare to a DAC/AMP w other DAPs?

For me it's between ipod > Fostex HP-P1 and DX100. I have been using the Fostex w iPod for 4 days and its great compared to a rockboxed iPod or iPod n Hornet Amp.
SQ is 180 % better. I appreciate the iPod's UI. Not only the search function but the absence of ANY problems. The Fostex > ipod is truly plug n play.

Can the DX100 really sound so much better to justify dealing with its UI?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #8,347 of 13,503
Quote:
How long have you had yours?
Can you compare to a DAC/AMP w other DAPs?
For me it's between ipod > Fostex HP-P1 and DX100. I have been using the Fostex w iPod for 4 days and its great compared to a rockboxed iPod or iPod n Hornet Amp.
SQ is 180 % better. I appreciate the iPod's UI. Not only the search function but the absence of ANY problems. The Fostex > ipod is truly plug n play.
Can the DX100 really sound so much better to justify dealing with its UI?

You'll have to determine that for yourself. If that wasn't the case though non of use would own a DX100 and would have an ipod with a brick attached to it :wink:.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8,349 of 13,503
Quote:
i still do LOL

It just hasnt seen much light since the DX100

i miss the UI ...but the sound cant hold a candle

That's my point Rozeqloud. I'm willing to live with some of these shortcomings due to having such excellent sound on the go. But I still expect ibasso to address these remaining issues and I'll be extremely happy with my unit. They just need to get their asses in gear and start steppin' and stop making excuses and just get it right already. Once you get use to quality it's really hard to go back to mediocre sound :wink:.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #8,350 of 13,503
Quote:
That's my point Rozeqloud. I'm willing to live with some of these shortcomings due to having such excellent sound on the go. But I still expect ibasso to address these remaining issues and I'll be extremely happy with my unit. They just need to get their asses in gear and start steppin' and stop making excuses and just get it right already. Once you get use to quality it's really hard to go back to mediocre sound :wink:.

Well put mate :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #8,351 of 13,503
I'm not that interested in the 901 tbh. I think I'll have the DX100 for a couple of years at least and look at the state of the market then and see what's out and what's good. Changing players every 5 minutes isn't for me for a few reasons. The UI on the DX100 is absolutely fine for me in terms of sorting, navigation, putting music on it and choosing stuff via touch control. It's no iPhone in terms of fluidity but I didn't expect it to be. As said, the S:Flo2's UI to use was a bit of a joke - at least this thing, being Android, just works as far as touch/tap/scroll etc go. The bugs are more with playback (fade-in, fussy about tags and so on).

Quote:
Is the HIFIman 901 the answer?
Oh and BTW you have swung me back to trying the DX again as soon as
I return home from my trip. What did you say "Identity crisis" LOL

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #8,352 of 13,503
Well Somanbulist I hope ibasso can get the remaining issues fixed. I'd love to keep my unit and not have to go through the trouble of selling it and then buying another unit. But if the Hifiman has none of the issues and sounds just as good then I'm gonna go for it. Plus it has tactile button which is very nice. The UI reminds me of a Sansa fuze so it's quite exciting as I loved my Sansa fuze just wished it had better sound quality.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #8,353 of 13,503
I think my problem with the 901 is going to be the price - you've got the basic thing - then you have other modules etc don't you? More expense. Customer service is a factor too. 

I'd like to be optimistic about the firmware but track records etc. Tactile buttons are nice. If it's really that good, I'd consider is yes, but I'm not going to just go off early reviews because this is Head-Fi and the FotM/hype train with new stuff can be ridiculous saying how great XYZ is before a more realstic opinion is formed. 

If it makes it to 500 pages and praise is still glowing (e.g. it's not a better looking 801) cool, I'll think about it for sure.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #8,354 of 13,503
Quote:
Well Somanbulist I hope ibasso can get the remaining issues fixed. I'd love to keep my unit and not have to go through the trouble of selling it and then buying another unit. But if the Hifiman has none of the issues and sounds just as good then I'm gonna go for it. Plus it has tactile button which is very nice. The UI reminds me of a Sansa fuze so it's quite exciting as I loved my Sansa fuze just wished it had better sound quality.

X2   What my teacher~leader says 
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #8,355 of 13,503
Today I go back to this thread and find so many people complain about this DAP, and I would like to say something about it.

Actually I'm a user of DX100 in China. According to the shop which sold the DX to me, this DAP is always out of stock in China, even the Demo in the shop was bought away by someone. I just noticed that someone in the thread mentioned that he doesn't believe that people will sacrifice anything else for the SQ, but somehow it is true in my country. Have you heard about using a Digital Recorder(like Sony-D50, Nagra SD, etc.) as a DAP? Yeah, that's quite common in China, despite of huge operating issue or poor music-resource management.

What's more, some are asking DX100 to compete with some other DAPs which DX100 is not designed to compete. IMO, DX's main competitors are HM801, CLAS system and Colorfly  C4 and so on. In fact, DX100 have successfully made its goal. I'll take one of my friend's CLAS as an example. He uses a iPod classic 160G, a CLAS and a Pico as amplifier. IMO in the A-B test DX100 won almost every part of the SQ. And what's more important is that, the integrated battery life of a CLAS system is around 8 hours, just like DX100, and you have to recharge 3 parts separately.

That is true, the software of DX100 is a piece of s***, but iBasso is still releasing (or has released) some upgrade pack, do you remember? iBasso is not something like Sony, perhaps it is
not much bigger that a poor workshop in Southern China. However it still achieved its SQ goal, and until now I didn't find anything unbearable. So I will just keep and listen to it, 'cause I can't 
and won't ask it for more.

(I'm sorry for my poor English, and i will really appreciate it if you finished reading:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back