iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 13, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #8,326 of 13,503
Quote:
I noticed this when ripping a CD on someone else's computer with iTunes. Since then I've started ripping to ALAC / correcting ALAC converted from FLAC via XLD in iTunes. Cool thing is that ALAC supports up to 24bit/192kHz too.
I never thought I'd use iTunes one day, but it actually works well as a music manager & tagger, so what, I'm not going to prevent myself from using it.

I just could never bring myself to do that lol. Not to mention ALAC is pretty much proprietary to Apple. Meaning most other DAPs will not support ALAC (to be honest why should they?, they don't want to support competition, that's a fact).. I just expect ibasso to get the issues with tags fixed so I don't have to jump through hoops to accommodate the flaws.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #8,327 of 13,503
Actually, no, that isn't true anymore, ALAC has been made open source about a year ago, hence more and more DAP's supporting the format:
Quote Wikipedia:
The Apple Lossless Encoder (and decoder) was released as open source software under the Apache License version 2.0 on October 27, 2011.[5][6][7]

It's available in many other music managers and encoders, like dBPowerAmp, XLD, Max, Floola, etc, and can be used on all three platforms, Mac, Windows & Linux.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #8,328 of 13,503
Quote:
Actually, no, that isn't true anymore, ALAC has been made open source about a year ago, hence more and more DAP's supporting the format:
It's available in many other music managers and encoders, like dBPowerAmp, XLD, Max, Floola, etc, and can be used on all three platforms, Mac, Windows & Linux.

True but it is still not widely used in general and especially for DAPs. Pretty much only the DX100 and Apple products will support it and I honestly never see it becoming widely used in comparison to FLAC. It was originally created as a form of control for Apple and I see that as leaving a bad taste in many peoples mouth.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #8,329 of 13,503
Quote:
I still get a pop when I wake the DX100 from sleep mode. I've gotten used to plugging in my headphones after turning the screen on. With LCD-2's and HE-500's it wasn't really an issue. With Westone 4's, it was more of an issue. With Fit Ear TG!334's, it definitely is an issue, due to their high sensitivity. Feels like my eardrums mini-explode every time it happens.

My battery drains quite quickly. I never leave it on stand by mode because whenever I do (sometimes I pause the music and forget to turn it off) it drains something like 80% of the battery. Say if I go to work and I pause the music at 98%. When I finish my 12hr shift and get my DX100, the battery will be down to 27%. Something else that I've noticed is that the battery doesn't 'smart charge'. What I mean by that is that it may take an hour to get from 100% to 95%, but only 15 minutes to get from 67% to 22% (yes, I actually observed this happen).

If I'm under 60%, I expect my battery to last 1/4 as much as the top 40% would. That why I charge it everytime I bring it home. Not a very reliable battery set up.

For $820, we deserve much, much better.

Did anyone try to do an battery calibration? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #8,331 of 13,503
I guess I could try it out. Strangely enough I don't have issues with battery calibration on my unit nor do I have issues with the sleep mode excessively draining my batter. I left it on for 8 hours and had my battery drain by 6 percent...... I very much think it is worth rooting the device as it is even more responsive and minimalist after doing so. There are a lot less things running and due to this there is more memory and a smoother experience.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #8,332 of 13,503
Oddly enough, while I have my DX100 issues...fade-in before tracks is not not one of them, particularly on the 1.1.7 and with gapless set to native play.  I'm convinced some of the differences we all see has to do with the type of files the user is using.  I use high bitrate mp3 exclusively, someone else may be using all Flac or hi-res files.  The DX100 is probably exhibiting different types of quirks with the different files.

My areas of concern:

#1 - The DX100 is not terribly responsive.  It's OK but nothing like other mobile devices.
#2 - Occasional lock-ups.
#3 - Mp3 tags will often not read properly or show album art.  I tried Lee's suggestion to correct some possible conflicts in mp3tag with some test files...but it did not help those files to show properly.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #8,333 of 13,503
Hmm Wolfsen what type of tags are you using on your mp3s? I use v3.2 as it allows for (01 track name) while v3.1 will only allow for (1 track name) which leads to albums not organizing properly. I also noticed my imbedded tags will not show up with v3.1 so I had to make it v3.2 and then re-imbed the album art and all is well. I have a couple mp3 files on my player (the rest flac) and all these mp3 tags show up properly. My unit is rather responsive as well. Since rooting it even when accessing the settings option it is noticeably more snappy than before. Before it would have to load a bit before opening the options but now its a small load and you are there. Well worth the effort to get it rooted IMO. Plus it's very minimalist.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #8,334 of 13,503

My portable non-headphone solution when I need to share my sounds with others.  The Foxl V2 Platinum is an awesome speaker, sounds fantastic with the DX. Shame the DX doesn't support APT-X  BT Audio though, otherwise it would be a killer lossless wireless solution. Looking forward to adding the Foxlo sub to this setup once it finally gets released.....

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8,335 of 13,503
Quote:
I still get a pop when I wake the DX100 from sleep mode. I've gotten used to plugging in my headphones after turning the screen on. With LCD-2's and HE-500's it wasn't really an issue. With Westone 4's, it was more of an issue. With Fit Ear TG!334's, it definitely is an issue, due to their high sensitivity. Feels like my eardrums mini-explode every time it happens.

My battery drains quite quickly. I never leave it on stand by mode because whenever I do (sometimes I pause the music and forget to turn it off) it drains something like 80% of the battery. Say if I go to work and I pause the music at 98%. When I finish my 12hr shift and get my DX100, the battery will be down to 27%. Something else that I've noticed is that the battery doesn't 'smart charge'. What I mean by that is that it may take an hour to get from 100% to 95%, but only 15 minutes to get from 67% to 22% (yes, I actually observed this happen).

If I'm under 60%, I expect my battery to last 1/4 as much as the top 40% would. That why I charge it everytime I bring it home. Not a very reliable battery set up.

For $820, we deserve much, much better.

Actually I agree. Same here. I think the DX100 is just a poorly engineered piece of **** .

I am surprised by how long this thread is. Before I bought the DX100 I googled and found this giagantic thread. I thought if there is a 500 page thread on this device, it can't be bad...

common.... the device has terrible battery management, poor UI, no documentation, pops like crazy and cost like 820 usd??

I am quite disappointed with my DX100... especially with the laggy UI and terrible standby power. I am wondering if they actually bother to turn off all the other chips that drives the other outputs which is not used. Luckily I am not using sensitive IEMs so I am not bothered by the pops. But I can hear pops even on my HD700 so I can only guess how loud it will be on IEMs. 

Just a warning to fellow people looking to buy this. DON'T BUY. Frankly, I am really amazed how can they charge so much for this piece of junk... and how "unfinished" the product feels

But I assume my warning will get drowned out by the 10001 other posts... Someone should put this on the first post.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #8,336 of 13,503
As a former S:Flo2 owner, it's a MUCH better device, I mean if you think the touch screen is a PITA to use on this thing and the bugs are annoying then you'd have put your foot through that thing until it's a fine powder.... although this doesn't mean the DX100 is polished and feels like a finished bit of kit, because it doesn't, at least on the software side of things.

My only gripe with usage is track fade-in, bar that I'm enjoying it. I also agree about the battery indicator just being wrong wrong wrong. I'll gladly sell the DX100 if someone else has a one-box that sounds as good as this but has the software to back it up, but atm it's all 'maybe this will when it comes out in xyz amount of time'. Got to listen to something and I'm put off by stacks with interconnects. I can fit this thing straight into my jeans pocket (is that a DAP in your pocket or are you happy to see me? does apply though!) plus this can fit a crazy amount of music on for a flash memory player. It's not all bad. It's not all good though and I think that's reflected pretty repeatedly in the thread - it's just that it's a long thread.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #8,338 of 13,503
Quote:

Actually I agree. Same here. I think the DX100 is just a poorly engineered piece of **** .

I am surprised by how long this thread is. Before I bought the DX100 I googled and found this giagantic thread. I thought if there is a 500 page thread on this device, it can't be bad...

common.... the device has terrible battery management, poor UI, no documentation, pops like crazy and cost like 820 usd??

I am quite disappointed with my DX100... especially with the laggy UI and terrible standby power. I am wondering if they actually bother to turn off all the other chips that drives the other outputs which is not used. Luckily I am not using sensitive IEMs so I am not bothered by the pops. But I can hear pops even on my HD700 so I can only guess how loud it will be on IEMs. 

Just a warning to fellow people looking to buy this. DON'T BUY. Frankly, I am really amazed how can they charge so much for this piece of junk... and how "unfinished" the product feels

But I assume my warning will get drowned out by the 10001 other posts... Someone should put this on the first post.

LOL

Boy that was strong . Cant say i disagree , not saying i disagree either .I and im sure many owners here feel your frustration 
But i was attacked by a select couple here maybe 2 weeks ago Was compared to a whining baby even ,which made me chuckle .

PS to me over 500 pages may spell problems ,usually 500+ pages of how great something is would be rare to find anywhere
These forums are usually for "how do I fix this problem" posts,tho not exclusively .

The DX100 saving grace is its amazing sound period .And that is wearing thin . There are a few members on here whos opinions i respect
and they are considering or already have jumped ship

Who was the member who said "see im not the only one " a few weeks ago LOL Looks like more people are in possession of buggy units
than the perfect FEW magical   units

As sad as it is , i feel vindicated .Great sound aside when i said POS

Cheers

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #8,339 of 13,503
Quote:

My portable non-headphone solution when I need to share my sounds with others.  The Foxl V2 Platinum is an awesome speaker, sounds fantastic with the DX. Shame the DX doesn't support APT-X  BT Audio though, otherwise it would be a killer lossless wireless solution. Looking forward to adding the Foxlo sub to this setup once it finally gets released.....

Plz people stop posting new sh*@ im tempted to buy . My funds are dried up and my credit cards are getting squeezed LOL

How crazy good is that sound any how ?

PS My HD800s do an ok job of sharing my sounds with others whether i wish to or not LOL

Cheers

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #8,340 of 13,503
Going to go against the recent grain here and say that after over a month of use I've had no real issues, slight fade in on tracks but nothing else to really moan about.
The tracks all appear in the correct order etc.
Now despite recent posts I would heartily recommend this to anyone.  Sound quality is as we all know excellent, UI isnt really that bad, I've used worse from Hisoundaudio and Cowon amongst others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back