iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Aug 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #7,426 of 13,503
Quote:
Unequivocally yes.

I've got a Galaxy S here which has a piddly 512mb of ram as well - and it runs ICS completely fine. What slows anything built on Android down = fancy transitions / applications.

I'm unwilling to accept that people are simply "ok" with poor design / poor sw implementation when you could have literally had a player that was standard enough (perhaps using similar parts-set) to a Meizu MX or similar device - something popular / standard - added your hardware immenseness on top (and yes, I understand there would have to have been some pretty hefty coding to ensure all of that stuff played nicely) - which you could then run an absolutely beautiful app over the top.

That's just my 2c, and I realise there's 400+ pages, and I've no doubt this has come up before - but irrationally, I still want one. I'd probably root it and find a way to run slimICS on it tho...

I guarantee you if they had put together such a package the cost would have been ridiculous. I'd say you'd look at paying $1,600 minimum for that premium. The extra money would account for more Ram and UI development (it's not cheap). The device isn't perfect but for music playback it's not very far from it IMO. I have everything set up via playlists and it is very easy and smooth to use. So I really don't have many complaints other than some minor things here and there. The sound quality though really makes you take things into perspective though (and more forgiving).

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #7,427 of 13,503
Quote:

I guarantee you if they had put together such a package the cost would have been ridiculous. I'd say you'd look at paying $1,600 minimum for that premium. The extra money would account for more Ram and UI development (it's not cheap). The device isn't perfect but for music playback it's not very far from it IMO. I have everything set up via playlists and it is very easy and smooth to use. So I really don't have many complaints other than some minor things here and there. The sound quality though really makes you take things into perspective though (and more forgiving).

I have no doubt this is the case :)

Just for fun - look up an application called "Z-Player" on the market - see if it installs, and have a look how it runs. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #7,428 of 13,503
The biggest problem though with android is the native 16/44 limit for sampling music. ibasso had to create their own custom software in order to allow the stock player to bypass this. None of the other players that work on android will allow for this due to android limitations.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #7,429 of 13,503
Quote:
I have no doubt this is the case :)

Just for fun - look up an application called "Z-Player" on the market - see if it installs, and have a look how it runs. 

I'm starting to think you won't be reading through the whole thread so let me point out that installing a custom rom would nix the audio quality as Ibasso's software bypasses Android's native audio subsystem in order to get bitperfect playback up to 24/192. 3rd party players like Z-Player or PowerAmp also don't have this advantage but still sounds fair with 16/44.1 material. Using the DX100 as a pure music player I honestly see no point in installing an ICS rom. JB might have a few advantages, but both would mean losing that sweet high-res support. I rooted mine and stripped it of just about everything not needed for music playback and installed ADW Launcher. I'm always carrying my Galaxy Nexus and often my Nexus 7 is with me as well (both Android 4.1.1) so the DX100 only has to do what it does best: Play music.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #7,430 of 13,503
guys, if the OS runs fast enough to do what it does, then you should leave it and so should they. aside from the other issues mentioned, more speed means faster rise times, more ripple on the power supply rails, more emitted RFI and EMI, which translates to more jitter

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,431 of 13,503
Quote:
guys, if the OS runs fast enough to do what it does, then you should leave it and so should they. aside from the other issues mentioned, more speed means faster rise times, more ripple on the power supply rails, more emitted RFI and EMI, which translates to more jitter

Only problem is that the ESS chip is handling the jitter within the DSP and not at the CPU level. So they can crank the CPU speed up but then that will chew battery life down even more.

Anyway, as anyone that saw, the DX100 is still running 2.3.1.  HDP-R10 is running the same OS. Why not go to 2.3.3.?? Unfortunatly iBasso mentioned that they are not going to go to 2.3.3 on the DX100. :/ Personally I don't think it is an iBasso call. More like a RockChip call.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #7,432 of 13,503
PS

did i tell you guys that I managed to pull the APK file for the ibasso music player of the DX100?

Anyone risk takers out there that want to upgrade to ICS or Jelly Bean on the DX100 and then install the APK and see how it runs? The ESS call outs are taking place from within the music player and not the OS.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #7,433 of 13,503
Quote:
PS

did i tell you guys that I managed to pull the APK file for the ibasso music player of the DX100?

Anyone risk takers out there that want to upgrade to ICS or Jelly Bean on the DX100 and then install the APK and see how it runs? The ESS call outs are taking place from within the music player and not the OS.

Sounds interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Maybe Soren will take the plunge and we all can reap the benefits :).

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #7,434 of 13,503
The Hifiman HM-901 specs are finally out are looking rather interesting. Depending on how they actually sound in practice, this could be a decent competitor to the DX100.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #7,435 of 13,503
Quote:
The Hifiman HM-901 specs are finally out are looking rather interesting. Depending on how they actually sound in practice, this could be a decent competitor to the DX100.

Keep us posted then AnakChan. But if it is gonna be priced in the $1,300.00 range (rumors) it better damn well be better than the DX100 or it will fail.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #7,437 of 13,503
Quote:
Keep us posted then AnakChan. But if it is gonna be priced in the $1,300.00 range (rumors) it better damn well be better than the DX100 or it will fail.

and it looks like they still haven't learned from the HM801 - they are still expecting punters to pay extra for different amp boards on the 901, it seems.
And if anyone can tell me why there's no mention of on-board memory on the 901, for $1,300.00 I'd very much like to know!

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #7,438 of 13,503
Quote:

and it looks like they still haven't learned from the HM801 - they are still expecting punters to pay extra for different amp boards on the 901, it seems.
And if anyone can tell me why there's no mention of on-board memory on the 901, for $1,300.00 I'd very much like to know!

Hmmm

<==Looks at thread title.

Don't see DX100 vs xxx as the title. So AnakChan and others. Why exactly is that being discussed in this thread? That should be it's own thread.. a comparison thread or whatever. :wink:

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #7,439 of 13,503
Quote:
Hmmm

<==Looks at thread title.

Don't see DX100 vs xxx as the title. So AnakChan and others. Why exactly is that being discussed in this thread? That should be it's own thread.. a comparison thread or whatever. :wink:

I know what you mean but to be honest that is what this product is aimed at in competition. I still don't see what they are trying to achieve with the multiple amp gig. If anything as long as that stock amp has very low output impedance and doesn't hiss with sensitive IEMs they should be fine. What would be super cool though is if they had the device set up where you could just buy different OP Amps and socket them in. That way everyone would win. But the intended design is for maximizing profit margins.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #7,440 of 13,503
Quote:
I know what you mean but to be honest that is what this product is aimed at in competition. I still don't see what they are trying to achieve with the multiple amp gig. If anything as long as that stock amp has very low output impedance and doesn't hiss with sensitive IEMs they should be fine. What would be super cool though is if they had the device set up where you could just buy different OP Amps and socket them in. That way everyone would win. But the intended design is for maximizing profit margins.

But what does that have to do with this thread? :)

That is a seperate topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back