iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #3,932 of 13,503

Quote:

Exit the 'current playing' screen into the general main screen and then press the bottom left button to bring out the 'setting'

Awesome thanks for that. There are sure a lot of options to choose from :p

I'm also loving the gain control. I used the second option. There is one that just says gain and their is one below that controls gain according to peak? Which one do you use? I also edited Power Amp to start on the Folder list instead of on the player view.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #3,933 of 13,503
Haha I haven't really played with the poweramp setting because I only on it to play random tracks for the dx100 to run in.

For first time user of poweramp do note that the default setting is EQ on with the tone balance activated. You may want to turn that off before listening to any music.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #3,934 of 13,503
Hi Ron,

At the risk of asking you to repeat yourself, is the DX100 everything you had hoped it would be ? I can live with the occasional firmware hiccup if the sound is 'all that' - it also appeals as a high end source for use with desktop kit. but I wanted to wait until the initial 'OMG !' mania had died down. You've had it for a couple months now, and I value your opinion as a guy who heard a lot of kit, esp portable.  

Thanks,

estreeter

From the beginning, the DX100 met my expectations as far as build quality and overall sound. While I felt the SQ was very good initially, it really wasn't until I was able to play some 24/96 and 24/192 HiRez files with really good headphones that I realized what the DX100's true potential really was. The initial firmware did have lots of bugs, but iBasso quickly responded and the firmware update did address most of the initial issues. The recall and subsequent firmware update still needs additional work, but again, iBasso is nearly finished with the next update to address the issues reported in the latest update.

There is no doubt in my mind that iBasso intends to make the DX100 a true benchmark in the portable DAP market. They already stand alone in having developed a portable player that can play virtually any codec at any bitrate. The fact that this is all incorporated into an Android operating system adds a huge amount of additional potential for users who want to move beyond a simple music player.

I do think that there is a learning curve with the DX100 due to the Android operating system. I believe a number of reported issues are likely the result of user unfamiliarity with this OS, coupled with the fact that iBasso has been so busy with the hardware and firmware that a user manual has gotten moved to the back burner. To their credit, it was probably a good decision to wait awhile rather than have several versions of a User Manual required because of firmware changes.

I have compared my DX100 to all of my other players and have also used it extensively as a transport/DAC for my desktop amps and IMO, the SQ has exceeded that of any of my other players or DAC's.

It is not unexpected that PowerAmp (and some other players) sound good on the DX100 as, of course, they share the same hardware with the iBasso player; their limitation being the inability to play hi-rez files without down-sampling.

As with any audio device, there are certain synergies between headphones and player that seem to develop, as well as "anti"-synergies. It does take some time to explore these various combinations, but as you discover them, it makes one truly appreciate what a fine technological achievement iBasso has created with this DAP.

So, what is the bottom line??? If one does not plan to acquire any Hi-Rez music or listen to music recorded with lossless codecs, and if one is unwilling to acquire headphones or IEM's of a quality suitable to allow the DX100 to reach its potential SQ, there are probably better choices available at much lower cost, but if one is searching for the ultimate capability in a portable DAP and is willing to acquire the appropriate music files and listening hardware, the DX100 is now at the pinnacle.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,935 of 13,503
Here's a couple more tips for Android neophytes like myself.

The power widget is great thing for turning off wi-fi, bluetooth, sync and dimming the screen each with a single touch. Handy for turning things off to save battery and then popping them back on when you need them - without having to go into the settings menus.

You can also set up a PowerAmp widget exactly like the stock player widget to give you quick access to PowerAmp while still being able to flip between the five home pages (start pages? what are they called in Android). There are 4 different PowerAmp widget sizes - I went with the great big full page one that basically looks like the player itself, complete with glorious album art.

Note: I tried moving the stock player's two widgets to different pages (4&5) and put the PowerAmp widget on page 3. However upon restart the stock widgets were back to their original positions and the PowerAmp widget was gone. So now the PowerAmp one sits on page 2.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3,936 of 13,503
Well put!

Quote:
From the beginning, the DX100 met my expectations as far as build quality and overall sound. While I felt the SQ was very good initially, it really wasn't until I was able to play some 24/96 and 24/192 HiRez files with really good headphones that I realized what the DX100's true potential really was. The initial firmware did have lots of bugs, but iBasso quickly responded and the firmware update did address most of the initial issues. The recall and subsequent firmware update still needs additional work, but again, iBasso is nearly finished with the next update to address the issues reported in the latest update.
There is no doubt in my mind that iBasso intends to make the DX100 a true benchmark in the portable DAP market. They already stand alone in having developed a portable player that can play virtually any codec at any bitrate. The fact that this is all incorporated into an Android operating system adds a huge amount of additional potential for users who want to move beyond a simple music player.
I do think that there is a learning curve with the DX100 due to the Android operating system. I believe a number of reported issues are likely the result of user unfamiliarity with this OS, coupled with the fact that iBasso has been so busy with the hardware and firmware that a user manual has gotten moved to the back burner. To their credit, it was probably a good decision to wait awhile rather than have several versions of a User Manual required because of firmware changes.
I have compared my DX100 to all of my other players and have also used it extensively as a transport/DAC for my desktop amps and IMO, the SQ has exceeded that of any of my other players or DAC's.
It is not unexpected that PowerAmp (and some other players) sound good on the DX100 as, of course, they share the same hardware with the iBasso player; their limitation being the inability to play hi-rez files without down-sampling.
As with any audio device, there are certain synergies between headphones and player that seem to develop, as well as "anti"-synergies. It does take some time to explore these various combinations, but as you discover them, it makes one truly appreciate what a fine technological achievement iBasso has created with this DAP.
So, what is the bottom line??? If one does not plan to acquire any Hi-Rez music or listen to music recorded with lossless codecs, and if one is unwilling to acquire headphones or IEM's of a quality suitable to allow the DX100 to reach its potential SQ, there are probably better choices available at much lower cost, but if one is searching for the ultimate capability in a portable DAP and is willing to acquire the appropriate music files and listening hardware, the DX100 is now at the pinnacle.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3,937 of 13,503

Quote:

Thanks for writing HiFlight, well read and versed! Still working with and enjoying mine (second day with it). I'm finding *almost* virtually no problems with mine so far. Dx100 is a nearly fit and finish product. Issues are very minor and iBasso is well on it's way to fixing what's there. :wink:

I have not messed with it enough but I'm trying to get MP4's to play on it; video.  ; D The sound is unprecedented, and the Dac section in particular is top quality, which is what I care about!

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #3,938 of 13,503
3ed7d6ca-2f6f-866d.jpg

As I am mostly using ciem/IEM, and every time I have to unplug and plug them to the dap, I decided to insert an adapter in the 1/4 and use it with my IEM as not to damage the 1/8 dap's, maybe someone will find this useful as its really annoying to keep the IEM while powering the dap!

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3,939 of 13,503

Any difference in the sound when you use the adapter?

Quote:
3ed7d6ca-2f6f-866d.jpg

As I am mostly using ciem/IEM, and every time I have to unplug and plug them to the dap, I decided to insert an adapter in the 1/4 and use it with my IEM as not to damage the 1/8 dap's, maybe someone will find this useful as its really annoying to keep the IEM while powering the dap!

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,940 of 13,503

I noticed the velcro had been left on so taking it off meant it no longer had to be suspended. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #3,941 of 13,503
I made a cheap case while I am not using my Dx100. When not in use I put it in my back pack and so I put a bubble wrap lined manilla folder into another folder and I cut it to easily slide the DX100 in and then I DUCT taped it as a nice cheap sock. Looks ghetto but works very well.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #3,942 of 13,503
There is no substitute for duct tape. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #3,943 of 13,503

Quote:

Thanks HiFlight, I always enjoy your writings, just bare in mind that Hifiman is preparing its heavy artillery to strike with a punch (as my sources tell me) and it is going to surprise us!Will not believe until I see, or in this case hear, so for now, yes indeed the DX100 is the KING of Daps.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,944 of 13,503

Quote:

I noticed the velcro had been left on so taking it off meant it no longer had to be suspended. 

Sorry, didn't get your point.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #3,945 of 13,503

Users who are viewing this thread

Back