iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #3,961 of 13,503

Quote:

I know what you mean, and now its less warm than before while using, did any notice this?

I 'm really enjoying "Mecano", very nice & clear female vocals, esp. "Hijo de la Luna & No Hay Marcha En Nueva York", thank god for females
wink.gif

The more I listen the more I enjoy it :wink:. I have to admit EQ isn't so bad after all. Without EQ my FX700s would be "fart-monsters" on this DAP. Just EQ down the sub and mid bass sum and all is well in paradise. While I am curious about the Hifiman 902 I don't think I'll even consider going that route. I'm happy with what I have. But of course I look forward to impressions on the 902. Of course if I have an opportunity to demo the unit and do a comparison, I won't pass up such an opportunity :).

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #3,962 of 13,503

Quote:
As with any audio device, there are certain synergies between headphones and player that seem to develop, as well as "anti"-synergies. It does take some time to explore these various combinations, but as you discover them, it makes one truly appreciate what a fine technological achievement iBasso has created with this DAP.
So, what is the bottom line??? If one does not plan to acquire any Hi-Rez music or listen to music recorded with lossless codecs, and if one is unwilling to acquire headphones or IEM's of a quality suitable to allow the DX100 to reach its potential SQ, there are probably better choices available at much lower cost, but if one is searching for the ultimate capability in a portable DAP and is willing to acquire the appropriate music files and listening hardware, the DX100 is now at the pinnacle.

cheers Hi-Flight that was excellent (the whole piece mind).... have you tried it with seperates & speakers ?..... I am particually interested in that.

really want to see what the result is in a quality hi-fi system..... I'm thinking of streaming certain parts of my system in the near future via an Asus Revo & Rega Dac into a Roksan amp..... if the iBasso can match the Revo as a source that's a whole new ballpark.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,963 of 13,503
3ed7d6ca-2f6f-866d.jpg

As I am mostly using ciem/IEM, and every time I have to unplug and plug them to the dap, I decided to insert an adapter in the 1/4 and use it with my IEM as not to damage the 1/8 dap's, maybe someone will find this useful as its really annoying to keep the IEM while powering the dap!

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I've done, too! (although I notice that the 1/4 socket isn't very tight, so I have to hold it firmly in place while removing the 1/8 IEM plug each time).

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3,964 of 13,503
Apr 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,965 of 13,503
Any difference in the sound when you use the adapter?

I'm doing exactly the same thing (using the 1/4 socket with a 1/8 adapter), and I don't notice any difference between the sockets.

However, I do understand your question because there IS, apparently, a bona fide difference in SQ between the 1/8 and 1/4 sockets on the Colorfly C4

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #3,966 of 13,503
Apr 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #3,967 of 13,503

Quote:
Pity that Monster adapter insists on protruding several light years out of the socket, though. That'll wreck the 1/4 DX100 socket in no time if used in my pocket, on the move.

Spot on, it can't fit in my case. So you'r selling?

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #3,968 of 13,503
I noticed the velcro had been left on so taking it off meant it no longer had to be suspended. 

C'mon people - that was hilarious! :D

And Ron, very well said - excellent write up - a considered perspective on this player. Synergy is important on this just like most other gear. Unfortunately, of all my headphones, I find it works the best with the LCD-2s, which is fine around the house, but it is supposed to be a portable player. And while some people here would disagree, no one is going to convince me the LCDs are portable cans. :mad:

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,970 of 13,503

EMS - despatched Monday 2/4 and instead of sending it direct to Remote-Ville.. my DX100 went through Sydney....now I have to wait 4 more public holidays till after Easter  
blink.gif

<speechless>

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,971 of 13,503

Quote:
Maybe it is loose connection at the connector plug or static?
My JH16 does not produce any hiss at all when turning the plug at the connection point, even using with Lisa III, or any of my iPods.

I have a very strange/strong Static discharge. One time , I turned my TTVJ on , just by touching it.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #3,972 of 13,503

Quote:
I have a very strange/strong Static discharge. One time , I turned my TTVJ on , just by touching it.

You think that bad lol. I have to touch the roof of my car every time before getting out or I risk shocking myself. Its surprisingly painful so I never forget to do this.

Edit: UElover I understand by what you mean when pairing the DX100 with the W3000ANVs. But using EQ really does help change this although I'd rather not have to do so. Whats really funny is using the same EQ that I use on my FX700 sounds really good on the W3000s, go figure. If anything you'd think these 2 headphones/IEMs would be on the opposite side of the spectrum but the EQ works for both of them :p.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3,973 of 13,503

Quote:
You think that bad lol. I have to touch the roof of my car every time before getting out or I risk shocking myself. Its surprisingly painful so I never forget to do this.

Same here, yesterday I got myself the Plextor B950SA, and while doing the change from Samsung blu-ray to the new Plextor, the unthinkable happened, thankfully all was OK ( one time I killed my motherboard another my ram and lastly an SSD drive), its so irritating.
Lee, is your DX100 getting warm as before (as when you got it now with us) after some use? or now its cooler?

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #3,974 of 13,503

Quote:

Same here, yesterday I got myself the Plextor B950SA, and while doing the change from Samsung blu-ray to the new Plextor, the unthinkable happened, thankfully all was OK ( one time I killed my motherboard another my ram and lastly an SSD drive), its so irritating.
Lee, is your DX100 getting warm as before (as when you got it now with us) after some use? or now its cooler?

It's kinda strange. I think it now runs cooler than before. But it also depends on where you have it placed. If its on sheets or something that won't allow the heat to dissipate from the metal backing, it will cause the DX100 to heat up. But it seems to still run warm while playing with the charger attached. I've been doing this because I want it to continually run so I can burn it in along with my FX700s and O2 amp. But when running it alone it seems to run cooler than before. I also ran the battery down again and it ran for 7 hours straight so I can't really expect  it to get better than that although I'm hearing some people mention 9 hours of playback. Maybe the battery will improve a bit more with some more cycling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back