iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5,401 of 13,503
It pains me to say it, but I've reverted back to firmware V1.03 for the sake of SQ. I really liked the changes of the new firmware, less sibilance, more emphasis on mids, poorly recorded records started sounding great, but the music that was brilliantly recorded and mastered stopped sounding special, and became just "good", somewhere on the level of my J3. Maybe it's the slow falloff that made it sound a bit congested, or maybe I'm too used to "darker" sound and find it boring, I don't know, but I'll be waiting out this one to see what the next firmware brings.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #5,402 of 13,503

Quote:
It pains me to say it, but I've reverted back to firmware V1.03 for the sake of SQ. I really liked the changes of the new firmware, less sibilance, more emphasis on mids, poorly recorded records started sounding great, but the music that was brilliantly recorded and mastered stopped sounding special, and became just "good", somewhere on the level of my J3. Maybe it's the slow falloff that made it sound a bit congested, or maybe I'm too used to "darker" sound and find it boring, I don't know, but I'll be waiting out this one to see what the next firmware brings.

I get what you mean, there is just something so special about the vocals in the older firmware.

One thing I noticed in the new firmware (v1.1.0) is that EQ being turned on and off makes a big difference. When the EQ is being turned off, everything is being boosted. When the EQ is turned on and set as flat, everything sounded correct - more neutral, more open, more dynamics, microdetails could be heard easier.

On the older firmware, I don't get this problem so I always kept the EQ off. The sound back then was warmish and seductive on my ES5 with Twcu. After the update, I lost a bit of that sound in exchange for a more transparent and balanced sound. It is a tradeoff, though I wish we could be presented with an option to switch between the different 'colors' =)

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #5,403 of 13,503
Has anyone experimented with the various outputs into a A/V receiver, if so what produces the most accurate SQ? 

I tried the line out (had cable handy) and it sounded so distant even at full volume.  I have an Onkyo TX-NR708 which has multiple input options but I really haven't used many of them outside USB and HDMI which aren't options with the dx100 if I want to play my HiRes files.   Suggestions?

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5,404 of 13,503

Quote:

I get what you mean, there is just something so special about the vocals in the older firmware.

One thing I noticed in the new firmware (v1.1.0) is that EQ being turned on and off makes a big difference. When the EQ is being turned off, everything is being boosted. When the EQ is turned on and set as flat, everything sounded correct - more neutral, more open, more dynamics, microdetails could be heard easier.

On the older firmware, I don't get this problem so I always kept the EQ off. The sound back then was warmish and seductive on my ES5 with Twcu. After the update, I lost a bit of that sound in exchange for a more transparent and balanced sound. It is a tradeoff, though I wish we could be presented with an option to switch between the different 'colors' =)

Q: So what do most of the rest of you v1.10-upgraded-DX100 owners listen to?

• EQ: Off?
  • EQ: On - Flat?

I hear the difference but I can't remember which one sounded more like EQ Off on the older V1.0.3 firmware.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5,405 of 13,503

Quote:

Could someone confirm...to have the stock player putting out a flat "non-EQ'ed" response, one must open the EQ, set it to custom, and set everything to the center?  As uelover says, on mine the volume drops significantly when I do this and it shows the option "close" on the bottom left corner.  I want no EQ...is this accurate? 

As far as main bugs, the main one I still have is that some mp3 do not show proper bit rate and song length.  I'm tempted to send iBasso some sample files with this problem.  It should be an easy fix.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,406 of 13,503
I ran the Bolero! test on the DX100 today with the LCD-3s. It held up pretty well, with, I felt, no soundstage compression but an expected amount of instrument blur.

The test consists of playing anything from Eiji Oue's Bolero! which consists of a dozen very dynamic orchestral tracks. It's very good for testing whether equipment falls apart with complex music.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5,407 of 13,503

Quote:
Could someone confirm...to have the stock player putting out a flat "non-EQ'ed" response, one must open the EQ, set it to custom, and set everything to the center?  As uelover says, on mine the volume drops significantly when I do this and it shows the option "close" on the bottom left corner.  I want no EQ...is this accurate? 

If you go into the EQ, once the new firmware is in place and open the EQ then reset, it will be flat and stay that way. iBasso has not resorted to EQ in the player and the only EQ would be that of the once I just mentioned. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #5,408 of 13,503
Quote:

The EQ is indeed a mystery.

When my EQ is activated (all the faders lit up and are adjustable on the EQ screen), the 'word' at the bottom left corner would be 'Open'.

When I moved all the faders to the center (nominal position, 0) the playback volume dropped significantly.

The resulting SQ is something like the one I get from Poweramp when using the old firmware (v1.0.3). I could not get the old firmware stock player sound no matter what I do on this new firmware.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #5,409 of 13,503

Quote:

If you go into the EQ, once the new firmware is in place and open the EQ then reset, it will be flat and stay that way. iBasso has not resorted to EQ in the player and the only EQ would be that of the once I just mentioned. 

Reset the entire DX100 by pressing that small 'Reset' physical button or the 'Reset' virtual button on the EQ screen?

The faders do not move around once I set them to nominal (even after reboot and stuffs they stay at nominal)

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #5,410 of 13,503

Quote:
Has anyone experimented with the various outputs into a A/V receiver, if so what produces the most accurate SQ? 

I tried the line out (had cable handy) and it sounded so distant even at full volume.  I have an Onkyo TX-NR708 which has multiple input options but I really haven't used many of them outside USB and HDMI which aren't options with the dx100 if I want to play my HiRes files.   Suggestions?

use either the coax or the optical and just use the DX100 as a transport/music server utilizing the DAC from your receiver. this way playing hirez should result in the DX100 sounding at its best and comparable to  dedicated CDP playing redbook.

enjoy........

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5,411 of 13,503
EQ. flat on the DX100 is shown on the EQ. page as:-

custom in the top left corner highlighted blue

the 8 dots lit blue

showing close in the bottom left corner

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #5,412 of 13,503

Quote:

but when we turn off the player and then turn on again (reboot), the EQ is not flat again, usually -6 to all frequencies even though the value is 0 for all frequencies, so when we press reset button , the EQ will go to flat 

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5,413 of 13,503

Quote:
but when we turn off the player and then turn on again (reboot), the EQ is not flat again, usually -6 to all frequencies even though the value is 0 for all frequencies, so when we press reset button , the EQ will go to flat 

If I turn my DX100 off and then back on, the EQ is still at 0 and not at -6. Maybe I am misunderstanding you? 

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,414 of 13,503
when i set my EQ to flat, and then reboot (off-on player), the EQs are all 0 like this:

but when i press the reset button , then the sound is change, maybe only my player has that bug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back