IBasso DC-Elite . . . The no compromise DAC/AMP with a true Stepped Attenuator
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #256 of 406
I'm with mak here on this. The VEX is a very sensitive and I hear 0 background noise on the DC Elite.
I could hear noise on the Solaris OG through the WM1Z so I'm definitely sensitive to it.
I'm not referring to background noise, I don't hear any either, what I'm concerned about is for sensitive IEM's I often have to listen at one click of the volume control up from 0, not ideal if the volume control wears out at one click, not sure if that is a potential issue though its just a small worry. One click gives me a SPL of around 60db so safe. Two clicks gets me to 70db so still OK but three is too loud for long listening sessions at the office etc.

I get that people don't care about listening at high volumes, that's fine everyone is free to do what they want but I do want to protect my hearing and still enjoy my music.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #257 of 406
So, with all due respect to you, I just said that with my super low impedance and super sensitive IEMs it sounds great, and without the problems that other dongles have. I don’t know why you want to convince me otherwise.
So you are saying mine is faulty and your's is OK? I find that difficult to believe but perhaps @Paul - iBasso could confirm if I do have a too loud, faulty one?

If I do its going in the bin as I got it from overseas and I can't be bothered to deal with that hassle.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #258 of 406
I'm not referring to background noise, I don't hear any either, what I'm concerned about is for sensitive IEM's I often have to listen at one click of the volume control up from 0, not ideal if the volume control wears out at one click, not sure if that is a potential issue though its just a small worry. One click gives me a SPL of around 60db so safe. Two clicks gets me to 70db so still OK but three is too loud for long listening sessions at the office etc.

I get that people don't care about listening at high volumes, that's fine everyone is free to do what they want but I do want to protect my hearing and still enjoy my music.
Oh in that sense I agree on that front. I have to reduce the digital volume on Spotify for the VEX. In fact, on PC one click & -3db is too much. I'm still waiting on a 3.5mm adapter cause I see no reason for the extra power on balanced.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #259 of 406
So you are saying mine is faulty and your's is OK? I find that difficult to believe but perhaps @Paul - iBasso could confirm if I do have a too loud, faulty one?

If I do its going in the bin as I got it from overseas and I can't be bothered to deal with that hassle.
I can't speak for your device, I haven't listened to it :wink:
Also, I can't speak about your hearing level. However, my personal experience and a dozen reviews do not confirm your problem.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #260 of 406
Oh in that sense I agree on that front. I have to reduce the digital volume on Spotify for the VEX. In fact, on PC one click & -3db is too much. I'm still waiting on a 3.5mm adapter cause I see no reason for the extra power on balanced.
Great so its not just mine that is too loud, my local landfill site will be grateful.

I wanted to stick with the 4.4mm connection as I have standardised on that mostly and Twister in his review of the Elite mentioned that the 4.4mm has a bit more air and I like air in my music.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #261 of 406
I can't speak for your device, I haven't listened to it :wink:
Also, I can't speak about your hearing level. However, my personal experience and a dozen reviews do not confirm your problem.
@8481 has confirmed that they have to turn the source volume down too or its too loud so its not just my unit. I suppose the owners that have no issue with it also have no issue listening at higher volumes.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #263 of 406
Regardless I'm still enjoying the DC Elite as my only source. There are always ways around this, for the record I also listen at very low volumes with sensitivity to treble.
Thank you for your input it is appreciated. Reducing the volume digitally at the source is not a compromise I'm prepared to make unfortunately. Perhaps I'll keep the Elite for my Focal Stellia, a pairing that sounds awesome and I can turn the volume up to five clicks (the Stellia is quite a sensitive HP too).

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #265 of 406
This “minus” also has a rather strong downside - right now I’m listening to Arya Stealth and it has never sounded so cool from dongles, including Mojo2.
And these are not the easiest planars for a portable device
Yes that is appreciated and understood, but I have an MScaler and a TT2 (has a Rob Watt's lossless high and low gain setting) for headphones when at the desk, the Elite for me was to be the ultimate portable device for IEMs, while it does work in that scenario its not the perfect solution I'd hoped for.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #266 of 406
Yes that is appreciated and understood, but I have an MScaler and a TT2 (has a Rob Watt's lossless high and low gain setting) for headphones when at the desk, the Elite for me was to be the ultimate portable device for IEMs, while it does work in that scenario its not the perfect solution I'd hoped for.
I'm sorry that it didn't suit your needs.
My task for Elite was to play without problems from the most sensitive IEMs to the tightest planars. And it did it. Of course, this is not the level of totl desktop DAPs/AMPs, but it’s too early to expect this from a ultra-portable device, even if this is a totl dongle.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #267 of 406
Thank you for your input it is appreciated. Reducing the volume digitally at the source is not a compromise I'm prepared to make unfortunately. Perhaps I'll keep the Elite for my Focal Stellia, a pairing that sounds awesome and I can turn the volume up to five clicks (the Stellia is quite a sensitive HP too).
I'm hoping 3.5 will allow me to max out the digital volume. Taking ages for my local dealer to re-stock the dd-hifi pentaconn one.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #269 of 406
Just to give my feedback on this topic, I use the DC Elite with an iPhone 15 pro max (phone locked to max volume):
Campfire Ara - 3 clicks on volume wheel, no hiss
64 Volur - 5 clicks on volume wheel, no hiss

I’m happy with the operation as 1 click is lower volume than I would ever listen with any music I have with either IEM.

But this is on 3.5 output, I’m planning to get a 4.4mm cable for the Volur but am a little worried that 4.4mm on the Ara would result in being too loud at 1 click.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #270 of 406
Just to give my feedback on this topic, I use the DC Elite with an iPhone 15 pro max (phone locked to max volume):
Campfire Ara - 3 clicks on volume wheel, no hiss
64 Volur - 5 clicks on volume wheel, no hiss

I’m happy with the operation as 1 click is lower volume than I would ever listen with any music I have with either IEM.

But this is on 3.5 output, I’m planning to get a 4.4mm cable for the Volur but am a little worried that 4.4mm on the Ara would result in being too loud at 1 click.
I hear zero hiss too even with the most sensitive IEMs I own, hiss is not an issue at all, its quieter (as black as the Devil's nutting bag as they say) than Mojo 2 for example.

I'd say as a rule of thumb you'd need to reduce the volume by one click when swapping from single ended to balanced based on my testing so I'm sure you'll be OK.

64 Volur, 4 clicks should get you close to the volume you are listening at now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back