iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jun 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #736 of 774
Quote:
Thanks for the info Jazzfan! If i was to use an mp3 player that is not an iDevice and connect it to aux in/out and use my headphone in the phone jack, then would both the dac and amp of the D6 be used?

You're welcome, and no. In that situation, only the amp section would be used.  Feeding the D6 an analog signal using the Aux In/Out jack effectively bypasses the internal DAC.  This is considered inferior to feeding a digital signal via the USB port because the DAC used by the player/source sending the signal would likely be of lower quality than the internal DACs of the D6, which are consider good.

Quote:

And it sounds like i could basically plug two headphones in the device at the same time? but would there be any differences in quality?

Only use the "Phone" jack for headphones.  Never use the "Aux In/Out" jack for headphones.

For the highest quality playback through the D6, play FLAC, ALAC or WMA Lossless files via the USB port.  That way, you use the D6 internal DAC to convert the digital signal, and you are playing the highest quality source files through the D6. MP3 files are encoded using a "lossy" compression method, which is considered lower in quality.

In summary, for the highest quality playback, use FLAC, ALAC or WMA Lossless files via the USB port.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #737 of 774
thanks again for all the tips. So if i was to consider using an mp3 with the amp then i would have to find a usb and 3.5mm cable if such a thing exists?

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #738 of 774
Quote:
thanks again for all the tips. So if i was to consider using an mp3 with the amp then i would have to find a usb and 3.5mm cable if such a thing exists?

The actual connection to the D6 will depend on the output signal coming from your source device, be it analog or digital.  You cannot mix digital signal outputs with analog inputs and vice versa, so a usb to 3.5mm cable should not exist.  To clarify, here are a few examples of Analog vs Digital (via USB) signal connections for the iBasso D6:

1. Analog Source signal (portable device - ie. iPod, MP3 Player, HP Touchpad etc.):

Source device (Headphone out - "typically" 3.5mm) -->  D6 "Aux In/Out - 3.5mm --> D6 "Phone" - 3.5mm --> Headphones

1. Digital Source (via USB) signal (ie. Computer, Squeezebox Touch, MP3 Player w/USB out, etc.):

Source device (USB out) -->  D6 "USB" port (rear) --> D6 "Phone" - 3.5mm --> Headphones

or

Source device (USB out) -->  D6 "USB" port (rear) --> D6 "Aux In/Out" - 3.5mm -->
       3.5mm to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-cable --> external headphone amp --> Headphones

If your MP3 player only outputs an analog signal from its headphone jack, all you would need is a stereo cable with 3.5mm male connectors on both ends.  But again, with this connection, you would only be using the D6 amp and not the DAC.  Only a digital connection will use both the DAC and amp.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #740 of 774
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #741 of 774
Currently owner of the Fiio E17. How does this compare to the E17? I'm currently trying to find a DAC/Amp that will work through USB audio with Galaxy S3. It seems like most Ibasso products will work. I'm ok to upgrade. But just want to know how big a sound improvement do I get for paying almost 2x the price. Thanks ahead.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #742 of 774
if it works through usb audio, then why not give it a shot. I used to have the E7 and upgraded to the d6 about half a year later and don't regret it at all (though I did get it used for much cheaper). However, the E17 has a much more impressive amp section than the E7 so I'm not sure how big the upgrade will be. Maybe you should just stick with the E17 for now and wait for a worthier upgrade like the RSA predator or the Pico slim dac/amp.

Though I can assure you that the D6 is nice llittle thing.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #743 of 774
Hey guys, I know you're all saying that these could use a little more juice to drive high impedance headphones, but provided that i'm playing my music at about 80 mw (the max is 100 on these cans), would the d6 be able to drive beyerdynamic 880s 250 ohm ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back