iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #706 of 774
No worries. I'm reasonably confident your LCD-2s will be loud enough with the D6. My AKG K601 headphones are a bit less sensitive than the LCD-2 (on paper), and the D6 was nearly loud enough with them. I suspect that simply looking at specs is only a very rough guide though, so anything could happen. For example, the K601s have less bass than many headphones, which may make them sound less loud than other headphones with the same sensitivity. The sensitivity/efficiency specifications are given at just ONE frequency. It is a bit more complicated when the amp has a high output impedance, but that's not the case for the D6 - it has a very low output impedance. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #707 of 774
LCD-2 (rev1) and D6 (stock)...sounds fantastic, 10:30-11:00 is a comfortable listening level for me...as I told my friend about these phones, they are AMAZING but I cannot put my finger on how to explain the reproduction

The D6, has no problem or issue what-so-ever driving these phones!

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #708 of 774
Nice one, although I'm totally perplexed that it could sound as loud as your Grados on nearly the same volume position!

Has anyone tried AKG K601 headphones with the D6?

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #709 of 774
Hmm, yep, just a little more twist is all it took.

I think lessons to be learned is you simply just need to preview things for yourself before you make assumptions.

The D6 is the best SE bang for your buck, with a phenomenal DAC built in, with the ability to roll OPAMPs to your preference...(the D7 that has just hit, raises the DAC ante and has a great AMP section too, waiting on mine to come in).

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #710 of 774
Maybe we need a "loudness" index, that is a more accurate specification for the genuine loudness of a headphone. The sensitivity/efficiency might be too simplistic.

Thanks for the info paulybatz - much appreciated.

Greg.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #711 of 774
I think this amp would be good for anyone even with mild deafness, and correct, it is not about being loud either it is about driving the phones accurately, which this little amp does exceptionally well.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #713 of 774

*listening to the D6 right now, streaming pandora, Jerry Garcia Band, LIVE "knocking on Heaven's door"...with my LCD-2s (rev1)...turned it up to 1230, low gain, as they are very faint most of the track....sounds great, despite the source, using normal bandwidth. 

I turned the knob all the way up for you, not its not earblowing loud...and wouldnt want it any louder than it is at 10-1:00...if I want things that loud Ill put on my studio speakers or 15" loudspeakers

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #716 of 774
First, I just joined the gang a few days ago and ordered a D6 after I sold off my Lyr and Bifrost to my shift towards portable needs over static gear.

Second, I have a WireWorld Ultraviolet USB ready for it. Anybody else using one? I know it's digital and most people say it doesn't make a difference because either the data packages get delivered or they don't and there is no in-between. But what caught my eye was the wireworld usb's separate the power from the signal cables hence the flat design. It is a robustly built cable and cant wait to see if it will have any positive or negative effects vs the stock usb a to mini b cable. 

-M

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #717 of 774
Thought I'd post my remarks about an op-amp/buffer combination I think is very, very good. The lt1678 with the dummy buffers from Hiflight's topkit. It is so detailed, yet liquid, I cant get enough of it! It may be a bit bass shy for some, but the bass is so tactful that it doesn't come into play for me. Very pleased with the results of the lt1678. I am sad the Lyr/Bifrost is gone but the D6 is easing me out of sonic bliss nicely, end of post....

-M 

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #718 of 774
Hi guys. I ordered D6 for my HD598. But i`m understand that 598 isn`t much bassy for me. I want to buy beyerdynamic dt 990 pro at future. Do you think D6 wiil be suitable for dt 990 pro?

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #719 of 774
It will probably drive the 990 just fine.

The reason i'm posting is because I'm really excited about an op-amp combo I have tried and can really recommend. Surprise surprise it's the same op-amp setup as my objective 2 amp. I  just pulled out the buffers and op amp from the o2 and put them in the D6. WOW, the sound is the same or better than the o2 imo. From mouser you can expect to pay about 1.50$ for the 3 op-amps.

For those interested, what you need is Two NJM4556AD and One NJM2068D. The 4556 go in the buffer slots and the 2068 goes in the middle L/R channel slot. See below for a filled cart at mouser with the parts you need :) 

http://www.mouser.com:80/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=e2e47e752b

Seriously, try it! 

-M

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #720 of 774

Quote:
Hi guys. I ordered D6 for my HD598. But i`m understand that 598 isn`t much bassy for me. I want to buy beyerdynamic dt 990 pro at future. Do you think D6 wiil be suitable for dt 990 pro?

I agree.  The D6 will power the DT990 and most headphones well, as long the headphone is 300 Ohms or less which the PRO is.  You might want to also consider the DT880 as you might find the DT990 mid-range a little recessed especially coming from the HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back