iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
May 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #452 of 774
Hi all

Just here to tell you a little story.

I received my Silver D6 on Thursday, and promptly tried on my ipad + USB camera kit + HD380 Pro, as it was intended to be used, I tried everything I can trow at it I was amazed how this little device made my music sound. it brought me back several decades when I sat with my father listening to vinyl records over his old analog Craig setup, not missing any clarity or SQ but the instrument separation, and depth, Is like if you realize that you have a second eye when most of you life was spent seeing with only one. audible 3D, darn this modern cheep devices.

I was happy for about 3 hours then I discovered that all my music had a resolution of 16bit/44-48KHz  and the D6 had 24bit/96KHz of sweet hidden magic. Also that the IPad only outputs that same lower amount. Enter the USB+DAC Saga.

I won´t make a short story long, I was instantly shock then I started to listen, quite high volume I must say, End of line by Daft Punk with the D6 connected to one front panel USB port in my office PC when a hideous loud static noise just made me leapt from my seat and made me trow the HD380 at the monitor, painful sound.

I have spent the last couple of days in a driven quest to make usable my DAC+AMP in my office computer, the problem : random and constant static loud noise when using the generic USBAUDIO from my Windows 7 x64 at full 24bit/96KHz,
When downgrading  to 16bits from the properties in the windows audio mixer I got seldom High pitch sounds, no static but annoying as hell.
I used the back USB ports, no good.
I tried ASIO with my trusted MediaMonkey and the asio4all emulator. Same thing.
Tried USB-ASIO trial, very bad to worst, I had to restore my computer in order to remove the driver.
Then Foobar2000 + wasapi this was almost it, only left out was a very unpredictable pitch noise but this time tamed and short. still annoyed.

I was ready to quit, then I realize that the problem has to be with my computer, my home laptop was working fine, fine is a understatement BTW the sound at 24bit was, like... haven!. More on that later.

The solution. If you are hunted by static like me, then realize that the USB signal in your computer my be faulty by design, there's a lot of variables that can cause this, ground, short, another usb device. for me it was the power-source. to my dismay I used the auxiliary USB ports of my monitor and the problem was gone like if it was never there. My power-source is creating signal noise, funny as I tried 5 identical machines all of them with the same problem, but only this five, I tried several other and they didn't show this same problem.

Now I have enjoined heaven for the last 4 hours without the slightest hint or speck of noise. best of all I can use what ever thing that makes sound in my computer, without specialized drivers.

Sorry for the long post. Also Thanks to the guys at ibasso that help me find the solution.

Jorge

May 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #453 of 774
Excellent post!  What you've achieved is why many (if not most) of us got into this hobby in the first place, finding that perfect sound!  Now, how about some pictures?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #454 of 774
jefierro, I dont know about the USB ports on your monitor, but my experience with a Belkin powered USB hub is that it raised the noise floor with my MSII. Not really what I was looking for, and the odd click and pop eventually went away by itself. Your mileage clearly varied - glad to hear that you can now listen to your kit in peace.

May 7, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #455 of 774
It's hard for me to notice any noise at all when in my 22in Dell flat panel, but then Belkin are not known for their quality products nor Dell for that mater, I had my share with them. I guess you get what you paid for.

Today was a great music therapy Friday. Enjoyed every minute.

May 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #456 of 774
Wow...  Now THAT'S what I call photography!  

May 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #457 of 774
I like everything on that table except the Senns :)

Seriously, very nicely photographed - well done.

Getting back to the D6, I can only assume from the specs that the amp section is much like my P4 - you dont need more than about '9AM' with most cans ?

May 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #458 of 774
Add me to the D6 owners club! Just received mine today from a fellow head-fier along with the HiFlight topkit. 

Now, I'm having some trouble understanding from the instructions on where the L/R module goes. Does it go in the spot closest to the volume control, and then the opamp spot above that (towards the battery) should be empty? Also, I'm assuming the L/R module is the one with 029/1678 on it correct? How should I expect that to alter the sound compared to the stock or HiFlight opamps? Currently HiFlight's buffers and opamps are installed.

I usually prefer a more analytical lean to my sound for what it's worth.

Thanks!

May 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #459 of 774
Can anyone share their experience of having D6 (as a combo) with Grado headphones? I have sr225s now and soon will be getting HD600s and I'd like to know if D6 would work for both of these headphones, especially grados. thanks! 

May 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #460 of 774
Can anyone share their experience of having D6 (as a combo) with Grado headphones? I have sr225s now and soon will be getting HD600s and I'd like to know if D6 would work for both of these headphones, especially grados. thanks! 

I would say that you may want to pickup HIflights opamp kit so that you can tailor the D6 to the sound you want. As with any opamp based amp changing the opamps will give you different flavors of sound.
I can only say that the D6 sounds great with the HD650's since. I have sold my D6 not because of lack of sound quality as it sounded great but needed the money for a desktop amp to go with my LCD-2's

May 25, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #461 of 774
In the D6, there are really 3 opamp positions....one close to battery, one close to volume control and one that is in between these 2.  The 2 widest sockets are for single-channel opamps and the center socket is for a dual channel opamp.   If you need to know which of your opamps are single and which are dual-channel, drop me a PM with your opamp numbers. 

While the L/R channels can use both single and dual channel opamps, the buffers are only dual-channels, hence only 2 sockets. 

Quote:
Add me to the D6 owners club! Just received mine today from a fellow head-fier along with the HiFlight topkit. 

Now, I'm having some trouble understanding from the instructions on where the L/R module goes. Does it go in the spot closest to the volume control, and then the opamp spot above that (towards the battery) should be empty? Also, I'm assuming the L/R module is the one with 029/1678 on it correct? How should I expect that to alter the sound compared to the stock or HiFlight opamps? Currently HiFlight's buffers and opamps are installed.

I usually prefer a more analytical lean to my sound for what it's worth.

Thanks!

May 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #462 of 774
I'm interested in trying the AD797s as I've seen a lot of great comments about them, but I have no idea where to start. For example: AD797 BR and B? What's the difference? What buffers do I use? What's the 2-to-1 stack? I have HiFlight's topkit and followed instructions to place the buffers but I didn't gain much knowledge about the parts.

May 29, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #463 of 774

Quote:
I'm interested in trying the AD797s as I've seen a lot of great comments about them, but I have no idea where to start. For example: AD797 BR and B? What's the difference? What buffers do I use? What's the 2-to-1 stack? I have HiFlight's topkit and followed instructions to place the buffers but I didn't gain much knowledge about the parts.

The AD797 Axx and Bxx  sound alike, you can use either.  The suffixes refer to temperature ranges where the device will meet all published specs for all applications.  Most industrial applications are far more demanding than our using them for audio use, so for all practical purposes, the opamps are just loafing when used in our amps.  

As they are single-channel opamps, they must be used in the "outside" sockets on the D6.  As they have quite a good output, they sound very nice with the Topkit bypassed buffers or you can also use stock buffers.   The use of bypass buffers will also extend your battery run time. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #464 of 774
Hello All,
  Interested in comparisons of the D4 vs the D6, any people who have heard both?  

I tried the D10 and preferred the D4.  Realized that by the time I upgrade the opamps and battery of the D4 ($199), it will cost the same as the D6 ($275).  Anyone heard any news about the D8? Interested to know if worth waiting for the D8.

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #465 of 774
May I ask how to go about purchasing a topkit? I send Hiflight a PM but not sure if this was the right thing to do.

I should have my D6 in 2 hours 
L3000.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back