iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #361 of 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. were you using Battery/Charger when driving the Beyers?

I was powering from USB.  Now that you mention it I should try power/battery, too.  I don't have the DT880s right now but I certainly will try that with my HD600s.  When listening on my Macbook Pro, iTunes volume is set to about 90%, power is from USB, gain is high, the comfortable volume for my HD600's is around 12 o'clock.  I haven't actually tried max volume with the HD600s, only the DT880s which got close to begin with.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #362 of 774

Quote:
So... has anyone experienced what I am assuming to be channel imbalance?

It's just a slightly boosted right side. I've tried everything... I don't know what to do. I've checked that it's not my source or phones too.

Try replacing the opamps to see if the problem persists. The other day I noticed the right channel being slightly louder than the left. I looked at the opamp and I realized one of the pins on a SOIC chip I soldered wasn't quite done right and I had to redo it.

Also, I don't know if you're basing your experience on listening to music, but remember that a lot of music recordings lean to the right slightly. That is, instruments/vocals/effects are more often than not on the right, with percussion/bass on the left, and this can be kind of deceiving! When I first started getting into headphone amps, I always thought the right channel was louder for music.

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #364 of 774
L3000.gif
rr
Ive tried to reproduce you channel imbalance on my D6 and dont hear it maybe change out the opamps or reseat them

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #365 of 774

Quote:

I was powering from USB.  Now that you mention it I should try power/battery, too.  I don't have the DT880s right now but I certainly will try that with my HD600s.  When listening on my Macbook Pro, iTunes volume is set to about 90%, power is from USB, gain is high, the comfortable volume for my HD600's is around 12 o'clock.  I haven't actually tried max volume with the HD600s, only the DT880s which got close to begin with.

Ah ok, I'd thought that your conflicting experience to mine with driving 600Ohm cans might have been due to the limited 5V of the USB port. 
I had no issues while running off the higher 12.6V from the wall-wart/battery, and didn't want potential New D6 owners to have a
wrong impression of the D6's capabilities.
It's a brilliant amp, @the end of it's volume travel it just stops getting louder... instead of distorting.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #366 of 774
My D6 gets pretty hot after a couple of hours on battery, more so with 4 AD797's but still with other opamp combos. I don't remember it happening when I got the D6 originally. I'll try to investigate further and see which component is responsible but I was wondering if anyone else noticed.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #367 of 774

Its the Li-Pol battery pack that is heating up I didn't notice it until this morning when I was listening on battery for a couple hours and touched the D6 and it was warmish but not hot. These batteries have blown up in laptops.But I doubt that our little D6's haha are going to blow up. More info

http://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/lithium-polymer-batteries.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #368 of 774

Hey sfmatt:
My D6 gets warm during operation too, intrigued... I checked last night and the AD797 in Buffers were a little Hot,
while the 797 in L/R were Warm to touch. Nothing concerning, just a wee suprised..  lots of Buff traffic I guess?

4 eh? yours must look like mine does now.... such precise seperation and placement of instuments/voices/sounds
along with the depth and width of the "soundstaging"... All from a portable D6... Sick!

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #371 of 774
The only way to use the AD797 as a buffer is to use stacked single to dual adapters.  The D6 is designed to use dual-channel buffers while the 797 is a single-channel opamp.  Using 6 of them, (2 in L/R + 4 for buffers) will significantly reduce the battery play time, as they draw a lot of current, approximately 9 ma each.    This totals over 50 ma just for quiescent current, with more current being drawn during operation.   This will also result in considerably more heat during operation than with other opamp combinations. 

Quote:
How easy is it to add AD797 and buffers?

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #372 of 774

Quote:
The only way to use the AD797 as a buffer is to use stacked single to dual adapters.  The D6 is designed to use dual-channel buffers while the 797 is a single-channel opamp.  Using 6 of them, (2 in L/R + 4 for buffers) will significantly reduce the battery play time, as they draw a lot of current, approximately 9 ma each.    This totals over 50 ma just for quiescent current, with more current being drawn during operation.   This will also result in considerably more heat during operation than with other opamp combinations. 

Ok, battery life is still important for me so I will consider other options as per our other conversation.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #374 of 774

Quote:
For Sennheisers, I highly recommend having 2 x THS4032 as buffers with 2 x LME49710 in L/R. These chips really synergize beautifully, and the LMEs don't suck too much juice.

Yes, I heard these are nice.

I am now getting the topkit from HF and a few other opamps to test too. P.S. I mainly use D6 with my Beyerdynamic T5p and sometimes Brainwavz M3.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #375 of 774
The AD797 does give the D6 more Warmth I just rolled the 797's in the Opamp position with the stock buffers and it sounds much warmer I would suggest you also get the Topkit and listen for yourself. IFI had my way I would have a switch on the top that allowed me to switch between the 797's and The Topkit for different music types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back