iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Feb 11, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #288 of 774

Quote:
I have low-volume imbalance issues on the D12 with IEMs, but it's fine for full size phones.  My DACPort, on the other hand, tracks excellently down to lowest levels...  The D12 it becomes a problem at low volume levels at work, where I use IEMs to reduce distractions, but have to play music at more listening than ambient levels, or the imbalance is distracting. 

Definitely guys like Ray Samuels are on to something when they toss half the Alps pots they get...

iBasso throws out over 50 percent of the Alps pots they order. They are all tested for balance but I imagine like everything, a few might get through from time to time. I haven't ever had a pot that wasn't balanced r and l except early on with iBasso amps. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #289 of 774
I had this problem with my hifiman hm-602 (connect to comp using USB Dac function).  My solution was using PCI-USB card (it's cheap, around 10 US) and used with only 1 port of the card, otherwise static noise will come back.
Hope this help.

Quote:
I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on my USB 2.0 ports (using the abovementioned method). Haven't heard the noise in over a day now (I was getting it a couple times a day with USB 3.0). Might be a potential fault of the D6 then if yours is doing it on a completely different system with 2.0 ports. That's unfortunate...

Quote:
I have had the same problem using the D6. its has happened twice where i got hit with the most hurtful sounding static noise. I wasn't sure whether it was the amp issue or a PC issue. It is not a USB 3.0 problem. I have the same issue on my laptop, which has only 2.0. I have not been able to reproduce the error but i will test it using the volume test button as you suggested.

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #290 of 774

OK thx!

Quote:
Never heard the D6, so I can't judge based on personallistening.  For my $.02, though, the DACPort sounds better than my D12.  It's also class A, which I really like, and has a huge 18V swing, and has a native 1/4 inch jack with a mini adaptor, so it's really solid with full size cans.  It's fabulous with my HD650s.  I'd pick the DACPort if I could only pick one and were going for sound, but I'd pick the D6 or D12 if I needed different input options and/or self-powered operation.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #292 of 774
The 4 AD797BR I had ordered on ebay finally arrived. Very impressed with the seller, the packaging was very good, the brown dogs are top-notch (better than iBasso) and he added a pair of LT1028 to boot. But let's cut it short: the SQ is simply stellar. Definition, neutrality, clarity, musicality, 3D effect are better than with any other combo whatever music style you throw at them. No wonder they're the reference, I'd never heard them before but now I know why.

LT1028 sound very similar to AD797 but they hiss when the amp is tuned on and off. I could not hear much difference, perhaps a bit less upfront and slightly less weight in the bass but close still. One thing is that I managed to get LT1028 to work with USB but they distort as soon as the volume goes past 2 o'clock.

In both cases (AD797 and/or LT1028) the volume is noticeably lower than with the other opamps I have which all work with USB due to their lower Vmin. As a result I expect the battery life to be significantly shorter although I have not tested by how much yet.

I tried again all the opamps I have and even if there's nothing wrong with the stock opamps, I still find them too sterile and too bright. It's definitively a matter of taste, not quality (at least with everything else than 4 AD797).

In the end I will keep LT1363 in main and LM49710 as buffers, it's the best sounding USB-compatible combo to my ears and I need USB for now while I am more often than not away from home. And the fact that I tried LT1363 + AD797 and AD797 + LM49710 and the 3 permutations are not that far off from each other, it's only 4 AD797 that I feel is a big step up.

Then for fun I tried to compare LT1364 (the dual version of LT1363) vs 2 LT1363. The difference is not nigh and day, there's a bit more separation with 2 LT1353 though.

I've had a couple of static episodes with the stock opamps but not once since then.

And no issue with Linux (Mandriva) either.

On a side note, I was away from home all week and let the battery discharge on Monday (forgot to turn off the amp at night) so now I really can confirm the D6 sounds great on USB only :wink:

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #293 of 774
Love this amp...drives my HD650s fantastically...and do most of my listening with my Ultrasone Pro750s and 2500s at the office, this amp is a single ended game changer.  AND I havnt tried Rons kit in her yet, the kit in the D4 turned her into a second place LISA3...I think this amp already is fantastic, ready to do more listening over the weekend! 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #294 of 774

Quote:
Love this amp...drives my HD650s fantastically...and do most of my listening with my Ultrasone Pro750s and 2500s at the office, this amp is a single ended game changer.  AND I havnt tried Rons kit in her yet, the kit in the D4 turned her into a second place LISA3...I think this amp already is fantastic, ready to do more listening over the weekend! 

I have found the D6 to have a very low noise floor and the high performance USB dac to do a superb job. I haven't done much op amp rolling as I like it stock. The increase in voltage really added to the jump factor with the amp. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #296 of 774
Well put Jam....very fine piece of equipment!
Cannot imagine things getting better!

Quote:
I have found the D6 to have a very low noise floor and the high performance USB dac to do a superb job. I haven't done much op amp rolling as I like it stock. The increase in voltage really added to the jump factor with the amp. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #297 of 774
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but do iBasso amps play well with GSM signals like the one from my iPhone?

I'm really thinking of buying one of these amp or dac/amp combos for my IEMs, but I don't want my cellphone signals to interfere.

Should I just buy an amp or dac/amp?  I really have no interest in using the DAC part, then again I don't need all the power the P4 offers for my sensitive IEMs.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #298 of 774

Quote:
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but do iBasso amps play well with GSM signals like the one from my iPhone?

I'm really thinking of buying one of these amp or dac/amp combos for my IEMs, but I don't want my cellphone signals to interfere.

Should I just buy an amp or dac/amp?  I really have no interest in using the DAC part, then again I don't need all the power the P4 offers for my sensitive IEMs.

It does pick up GSM signals if my phone is on my desk (~3 feet). It doesn't distort/ruin any sound coming out of the D6 from what I can tell though, if that's your concern about "playing well"... it sounds as if the signal is a part of the music. It doesn't pick up any signal if my phone is on the ground away from my desk (~6 feet).

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #299 of 774

Quote:
It does pick up GSM signals if my phone is on my desk (~3 feet). It doesn't distort/ruin any sound coming out of the D6 from what I can tell though, if that's your concern about "playing well"... it sounds as if the signal is a part of the music. It doesn't pick up any signal if my phone is on the ground away from my desk (~6 feet).

Not what I wanted to hear.

I guess that's what I get for using my iPhone as a DAP.

I suppose it'll be better to wait for the E11, which Fiio claims to being built with cellphone users in mind.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #300 of 774
I put my iPhone in airplane mode to address noise.

Anyone know if d6 accepts 88.2 direct?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back