iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #271 of 774
Can someone with the D6 shed some light on how big of a problem that volume imbalance is? I know it only happens at low volumes but how low? Be so it may seem, I do sometimes listen to my IEMs (sensitive) at low volumes so I'm afraid the imbalance may bother me.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #272 of 774
Although I hate to admit it, I can also confirm the terribly loud static noise that occasionally shoot through my headphones when listening to the d6 as a DAC.  Not sure what the problem is and I haven’t contacted iBasso yet, but, it does occur and rewinding the track and re-listening to the segment usually doesn’t reproduce the problem.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #273 of 774

Quote:
Can someone with the D6 shed some light on how big of a problem that volume imbalance is? I know it only happens at low volumes but how low? Be so it may seem, I do sometimes listen to my IEMs (sensitive) at low volumes so I'm afraid the imbalance may bother me.

The imbalance is only noticeable at levels below what I'd call listenable. I've used the D6 with my JH11 with no problem.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #274 of 774

Quote:
Quote:

The imbalance is only noticeable at levels below what I'd call listenable. I've used the D6 with my JH11 with no problem.

Hmm...still, dishing out this much money, you would think that ibasso could have somehow rectified the problem in the first place.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #275 of 774

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm...still, dishing out this much money, you would think that ibasso could have somehow rectified the problem in the first place.

I don't really consider it a problem as it doesn't interfere with normal listening. I think Ibasso's products are quite a bargain compared to the amps from other manufacturers. If you need a better pot you'll have to fork out quite a bit more money for something from RSA or something with a digital attenuator. Heck, even my AE-2 has a slight imbalance at the very beginning of the pot. Really, it's a non issue. Here is an explanation from NuForce http://www.nuforce.com/hp/support/analog-volume-graph.php

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #276 of 774

Quote:
Although I hate to admit it, I can also confirm the terribly loud static noise that occasionally shoot through my headphones when listening to the d6 as a DAC.  Not sure what the problem is and I haven’t contacted iBasso yet, but, it does occur and rewinding the track and re-listening to the segment usually doesn’t reproduce the problem.

I didn't realize this was such a shared problem by some of us; I thought my case was an anomaly. I would like to see what iBasso has to say with regards to this issue.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #277 of 774
I have low-volume imbalance issues on the D12 with IEMs, but it's fine for full size phones.  My DACPort, on the other hand, tracks excellently down to lowest levels...  The D12 it becomes a problem at low volume levels at work, where I use IEMs to reduce distractions, but have to play music at more listening than ambient levels, or the imbalance is distracting. 

Definitely guys like Ray Samuels are on to something when they toss half the Alps pots they get...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #278 of 774

Quote:
I have low-volume imbalance issues on the D12 with IEMs, but it's fine for full size phones.  My DACPort, on the other hand, tracks excellently down to lowest levels...  The D12 it becomes a problem at low volume levels at work, where I use IEMs to reduce distractions, but have to play music at more listening than ambient levels, or the imbalance is distracting. 

Definitely guys like Ray Samuels are on to something when they toss half the Alps pots they get...

It's experiences like these that are preventing me from ordering the D6 right now. I'll be using them strictly with the IE8s and Westone 4s (once I get them that is), so it might be a problem. Are all of iBasso's dac/amps like this? Are other brands like this? What's a similar dac/amp to the D6 that I won't have to worry about while using my IEMs?

Edit: looking into the Ray Samuels Predator or Pico...they're quite a bit more money but how would you guys say they compare to the Ibasso D6? If they don't exhibit this imbalance problem at low volumes and don't produce hiss with IEMs, I might just jump on them.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #279 of 774

[size=10.0pt]I emailed iBasso about the occasional loud static noise. We’ll see what they say.[/size]

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #280 of 774
IEMs are more sensitive to low level drift with analog volume controls.  Most digital controls mess up the music or offer inadequate adjustment precision (too few steps).  Most analog pots (except hand made ones using discrete resistors) will do this, so if you use IEMs, you'll be pretty used to this on portable gear in particular.  Ray tosses about half his pots because they don't track to his spec, which makes him particularly valuable to IEM fans, as he tracks well at low levels.  The DACPort I have is superb in this measure, as well..  Full cans usually are less efficient so the issue is less relevant...

Because I have not had a chance to hear RSA gear in person I shouldn't say anything absolute except that he has a great reputation for quality and attention to detail, and is based here.  The gear costs more, true, but not that much in the context of a full rig.  I would like to  get acquainted with his gear at a  meet.....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #281 of 774

Speaking of the DACPort do still think it's better tha the D6? I need (sic) to upgrade my µDAC but I would like something around the same size, so I will not clutter up my desk further, and I use a tube amp for my high impedance cans, and then I can use can the DACport for low impedance cans that will hum with the tube amp.
Quote:
IEMs are more sensitive to low level drift with analog volume controls.  Most digital controls mess up the music or offer inadequate adjustment precision (too few steps).  Most analog pots (except hand made ones using discrete resistors) will do this, so if you use IEMs, you'll be pretty used to this on portable gear in particular.  Ray tosses about half his pots because they don't track to his spec, which makes him particularly valuable to IEM fans, as he tracks well at low levels.  The DACPort I have is superb in this measure, as well..  Full cans usually are less efficient so the issue is less relevant...

Because I have not had a chance to hear RSA gear in person I shouldn't say anything absolute except that he has a great reputation for quality and attention to detail, and is based here.  The gear costs more, true, but not that much in the context of a full rig.  I would like to  get acquainted with his gear at a  meet.....

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #282 of 774
I have found that my D6 is not recognized by my Linux computer USB output, which is my main desktop unit.  All of my other iBasso amp/DACs (Boomslang, D10, D12, D4) are instantly recognized and function perfectly with this OS.  I have contacted iBasso, but they have not tested the DACs with Linux and are unfamiliar with that OS. 

I had the same issue with the Nuforce uDAC but both units worked perfectly with my Win. XP laptops.   Bottom line is that if you are using Linux, perhaps there is a better choice than the D6.   As there are many versions of the Linux OS, I can't say that my results would be the same with all of them so YMMV. 

ADDENDUM:  
I have changed just changed to a different computer and the Ubuntu version of the Linux OS from my previous computer that was running the Zonbu Linux OS.  The Unbuntu version works just fine with my D6.   As there are many versions of Linux, I guess that one will just have to give a try to be sure that the D6 will be properly recognized. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #283 of 774

Quote:
Speaking of the DACPort do still think it's better tha the D6? I need (sic) to upgrade my µDAC but I would like something around the same size, so I will not clutter up my desk further, and I use a tube amp for my high impedance cans, and then I can use can the DACport for low impedance cans that will hum with the tube amp.
Quote:

Never heard the D6, so I can't judge based on personallistening.  For my $.02, though, the DACPort sounds better than my D12.  It's also class A, which I really like, and has a huge 18V swing, and has a native 1/4 inch jack with a mini adaptor, so it's really solid with full size cans.  It's fabulous with my HD650s.  I'd pick the DACPort if I could only pick one and were going for sound, but I'd pick the D6 or D12 if I needed different input options and/or self-powered operation.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #284 of 774

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard the D6, so I can't judge based on personallistening.  For my $.02, though, the DACPort sounds better than my D12.  It's also class A, which I really like, and has a huge 18V swing, and has a native 1/4 inch jack with a mini adaptor, so it's really solid with full size cans.  It's fabulous with my HD650s.  I'd pick the DACPort if I could only pick one and were going for sound, but I'd pick the D6 or D12 if I needed different input options and/or self-powered operation.

Can you comment on the DACPort's (weak) bass. Some say it's bass light which makes me worried. For that reason, I think I'll be going with the D6.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #285 of 774
I like subwoofers, in fact I design them, so I *really* care about bass.  I find the DACPort to simply be neutral, clean and very nice.  Any amp that is "bass heavy" is probably simply high output impedance, which can increase bass levels on low impedance cans (which is not, IMHO, a good thing, from an engineering perspective).  Also, the DACPort is Class A, so there's no strain at moderate to loud levels.  But this is a D6 thread so maybe these questions belong on the DACPort page...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back