iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #226 of 774
I've been listening now for about 10 hours and the D6 is good...really good.  The extra weight on the bottom end is immediately evident while the mids are just right, clear and bold without being pushy.  Now, I'm notoriously cranky about the high-end and dislike any etchy, over the top sound that some consider to be the mark of high fidelity.  For instance, the Grado 325 is unlistenable to my ears (owned for about 4 hours and immediately got rid of them).  The D6 has a shimmering top end without any objectionable tizziness (all of this with the stock op-amps), somewhat of a change from my initial impression.  I'm listening though Grado SR60i's.  WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THESE ARE NOT THE BEST HEADPHONES ANYONE COULD EVER WANT OR NEED! SERIOUSLY, WHAT ARE THEIR DEFICIENCIES FOR 79 BUCKS?  The D6 improves my Senn 650's and removes a good part of the "veil" (so does a Benchmark USB).  Compared to the stock D10, which I found objectionably bright out of the box (a Topkit fixed this completely), the D6 is superior.  At this point and without auditioning an ordered Topkit the D6 fits very nicely in my sweet spot.  

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #227 of 774

Quote:
  I'm listening though Grado SR60i's.  WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THESE ARE NOT THE BEST HEADPHONES ANYONE COULD EVER WANT OR NEED! SERIOUSLY, WHAT ARE THEIR DEFICIENCIES FOR 79 BUCKS? 

Quite ironic, given that many find even the SR60 exhibits the very characteristics you disliked so intensely in the SR325is - we can argue about how pronounced the treble is on each model, but its usually cited as 'too aggressive' for many, including notables such as Dr Jan Meier. Some people simply dont like the Grado sound - simple as that.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #228 of 774

yes, they are brighter than a Senn 650 but i find they have a very broad range from top to bottom (not quite as deep).  As I stated, I am susceptible to treble brightness but find the 60's to suit me.  I've owned Denon 7000's and found them terribly unbalanced...too much bass, a large midrange "suck-out" and a tizzy top end.  Sold them also immediately.  I've also had  electrostatics years ago, Koss 950's and Stax and found them to be one dimensional...all top end.  

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #229 of 774
Hey, no problem with me, but you are talking to a self-confessed Grado fanboy. The problem that many of us have on HF is that we cant understand how anyone else could possibly like something which didnt sound good to our ears, and vice-versa. Horses for courses, live and let live etc - it just gets old when folk start a thread purely to beat up on the poor old K701. There are a few serious Grado 'haters' out there, but most of them have said their peace by now and moved on to something else that rubs them up the wrong way. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #230 of 774
Ok, I've had my D6 for over a week now and would like to share my thoughts.

The build quality is pretty good. One of my sockets is not centered but at least it doesn't jiggle at all. While not up to Headamp build quality, I feel it's close to Ray's amps and really have no complaints.

The sound. Excellent. Overall it seems to be nicely detailed yet smooth enough to not be irritating. I find the bass a little lighter than that of my AE-2 but the mids are fuller and the highs are tamed a bit (a good thing IMHO). I've ordered the Topkit with the opamp Ron recommended for a warmer sound signature. I'm hoping to tame the highs just a bit more to my taste.

Minor quibbles. The volume pot has a little channel imbalance but only at extremely low volume so it really isn't a problem. The gain seems to take this into account. Set on high gain with the Edition 8 I run the pot up around 12 to 1 o'clock. I just wonder if there is enough gain for high impedance/inefficient cans as I haven't tested that.

I'd like to mirror everyone's thoughts on Ibasso's customer service. They responded to my email immediately and their shipping time was outstanding. I ordered on Friday and had the amp Monday. Amazing.

Overall, considering the asking price the D6 is a steal for anyone that wants a portable dac/amp combo.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #231 of 774
if using D6 as dac, can we still control volume via computer? (using windows)

and for you who already have D6, what you think abous its DAC section? compare to other transportable dac/amp combo like uDac2, audinst, dacport, etc.

also, is it okay to charging the battery while we're using it in battery mode? (like some of RSA amp)

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #232 of 774

When I am using mine plugged into the USB, the volume stays constant regardless of what I do with Media Player's volume slider. 
I think the DAC section is superb, but no longer have any other portable/transportable DAC's other than iBasso with which to compare it.
Yes, you can charge and listen using battery.  No interference or artifacts due to the active charging.
Quote:
if using D6 as dac, can we still control volume via computer? (using windows)

and for you who already have D6, what you think abous its DAC section? compare to other transportable dac/amp combo like uDac2, audinst, dacport, etc.

also, is it okay to charging the battery while we're using it in battery mode? (like some of RSA amp)

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #235 of 774
I have 3 questions about this little gem. 

1. Can you use the USB in to charge the battery or only the power brick can be used to do that? 
2. I have a bit brightish phones and have a Stepdance which excellently reduces the brightness but I want to leave it at home and use as home amp so I want something else for portable use that woul also help reduce the brightness of my phones. Something preferably warmish but still very transparent. There ar eother amps on my list but this seems to be great value for money.
3. How difficult is it to apply the TopKit to make it warmer if need be?

TIA,
Szadzik

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #236 of 774

Quote:

1. Can you use the USB in to charge the battery or only the power brick can be used to do that? 
2. I have a bit brightish phones and have a Stepdance which excellently reduces the brightness but I want to leave it at home and use as home amp so I want something else for portable use that woul also help reduce the brightness of my phones. Something preferably warmish but still very transparent. There ar eother amps on my list but this seems to be great value for money.

TIA,
Szadzik

Let me answer question 1, the rest i leave to the fellow users.

You cannot use the USB plug to charge, just the power brick. You can use it with only the USB plug and sound from the dac, even with and empty battery.

-m4rcu5

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #237 of 774

2. There are many good opamps that can modify the SQ to suit your preferences.  The stock sound of the D6 is not, IMO, overly bright.  The opamps are very easy to change.
3. The Topkits are not designed to alter either the highs or lows of the stock SQ.  They are designed to present a realistic and balanced presentation and to enhance the stability and accuracy of the imaging.

Quote:

TIA,
Szadzik

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #238 of 774
Received the Topkit from Ron earlier before the weekend. Very nice addition. The suggested setup increases transparency and the optional opamp adds quite a bit to the high and low ends. When using the optional opamp I with the stock buffers I felt like my Ultrasone Pro 900s tranformed into the Pro 750s with a more aggressive sund. Anyone with doubts about the effectiveness of the Topkit shouldn't be worried. Ron was a pleasure to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back