iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #151 of 774
Hi Charlie, 

Since you are from Singapore, Can I suggest you bring your D4 and Headphone/earphone/IEM to Jaben to do an A/B test with the D6 and 
let us know what the difference. They are very friendly and you could test till your heart content. You could use your laptop there as well. 

It would only cost you a few hours of your time. And if you do please give your impression. 

I was there on Saturday to check on some other stuff they do have a number of D6 available. It comes with a charger that is much like a power supply of a netbook. 
There are no op-amp rolling kit. Do you use the 9V battery of the D4 on a daily basis? The battery within the D6 are not charged using the USB connector you have to plug in the 
power adaptor to charge the Li Ion battery. For the D12 you could charge the li ion battery using USB.  Unfortunally I do not have time to test the D6. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #152 of 774
I should also be able to get off a brief comparison between the D4, D6 and D12 in the next day or two, as my PB2 and D6 are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am expecting the major differences to be in the type of battery used, method of recharging, type of input connections needed, etc. rather than great differences in SQ.

While I do like the higher output voltage swing of the D6 and PB2, I also like the convenience of just being able to swap a 9v battery in my D4 when needed. There are times when it is not possible or very inconvenient to connect an adapter for recharging.

While some might fault iBasso for introducing so many new products, I feel that they are not creating obsolescence but rather providing choices at differing price points. Not really very different from the automobile manufacturers.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #154 of 774
That's fast, Ron! :) Oh and.. Might PM you later when I am done with the clutches of my exam papers.. Something to do with whether the OPA637BP being suitable in my upcoming iBasso D6. Not very sure if they'll work well with only 5V off USB. It's 3:47am right here now and I can't think clearly.

Well, that is, assuming we get to choose either to use the USB 5V or the 12.6V battery power pack to power the amp section. Not too sure if I've gotten that right though, honestly.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #155 of 774
iBasso's shipment are amazingly fast, another indicator of the quality of their service.
My D6 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow as well, unfortunately I'll be working away this week so I'll have to wait until Saturday to play with it. Bummer.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #156 of 774

Quote:
The sound is very airy without being bright on the top end. There is a quality to the freedom of the sound that is just, open. I don't know how else to put it. Even with my LCD-2, which like some current, the peaks and bass come through natural and with fervor. The quality is different, on the airiness when compared to my excellent fi.q. I wish the fi.Q had to more open fluid sound of the D6. And if you don't hear the difference in the dac section, well it is my opinion, but the USB dac is a real jump also. 

Thanks Jam - airy is a good thing, IMO - others might be looking for something else (bass punch seems to be a perennial here), but that's showbiz. I wouldnt need the USB DAC, but its all good.

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #157 of 774
Hey Jam, thanks again for the impressions of the D6. It sounds like it would work well with a majority of music. Could you look over at the P4 thread? We are having a discussion of the P4 vs the P-51 Mustang, and a member thinks the P4 is much better. Anyone else who has experienced both amps, feel free to chime in as well.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #158 of 774

Quote:

Netbook charger? So it has a power brick now? I guess the extra power requires it lol

Will the D6 be able to power both the dac and amp entirely from USB like the D4?
I imagine the difference in power between the battery and usb will make an even bigger difference in sound than the 9v did with the D4.

Yes, you can run the D6 from the USB for the dac and amp, or go the 12 volt battery for the amp and get quite a boost in power, and to me, it is noticeable with more needy phones. A huge plus!

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #159 of 774

Fantastic! I'm set on getting an iBasso and was leaning toward the D6 over the D12 but would love to get an informed opinion first.
Eagerly awaiting some insight =).
Quote:
I should also be able to get off a brief comparison between the D4, D6 and D12 in the next day or two, as my PB2 and D6 are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I am expecting the major differences to be in the type of battery used, method of recharging, type of input connections needed, etc. rather than great differences in SQ.

While I do like the higher output voltage swing of the D6 and PB2, I also like the convenience of just being able to swap a 9v battery in my D4 when needed. There are times when it is not possible or very inconvenient to connect an adapter for recharging.

While some might fault iBasso for introducing so many new products, I feel that they are not creating obsolescence but rather providing choices at differing price points. Not really very different from the automobile manufacturers.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #160 of 774

Quote:

Quote:
I don't know of anyone that has heard the PB-2 yet, except for iBasso so I not sure anyone can help you at this time. I would guess in a few days there will be some PB2's out there as well as the D6. 

thanks for the reply. you will be getting i assume?     :)

yup, will read up on any impressions/reviews.

cheers

I have both on the way!!!!
Very excited!

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #161 of 774
I did receive both my D6 and PB2 today.  The D6 is should not be considered as a replacement for the D4 but rather an evolution that further refines the already excellent D4 DAC and provides a different power supply for those who prefer recharging to replacing batteries.  The additional voltage swing when operating on batteries will also provide some additional driving power if needed.  The SQ with the stock opamps is excellent.  Although the D4 and D6 use the same stock buffers, the L/R opamps are different. 

I think it is a wise choice by iBasso to keep both the D4 and D6 available, as depending upon ones needs, either one is a superb choice. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #162 of 774

Looks good. What about sound quality compared to the D12?
Quote:
I did receive both my D6 and PB2 today.  The D6 is should not be considered as a replacement for the D4 but rather an evolution that further refines the already excellent D4 DAC and provides a different power supply for those who prefer recharging to replacing batteries.  The additional voltage swing when operating on batteries will also provide some additional driving power if needed.  The SQ with the stock opamps is excellent.  Although the D4 and D6 use the same stock buffers, the L/R opamps are different. 

I think it is a wise choice by iBasso to keep both the D4 and D6 available, as depending upon ones needs, either one is a superb choice. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #164 of 774
i hope someone might want to share their experience on this new amp/dac...
im really interested to hear some...comments about its sq.

beyersmile.png

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #165 of 774
If keystrokes here are any indication, I have to wonder if iBasso may have shot themselves in the foot slightly by releasing this so soon after the P4. I guess its all revenue, and $30 more per unit at that, but the focus would seem to have shifted onto the newer model. I guess it isnt every day that you get a powerful portable amp with dual DAC chips 'thrown in' for only $30 more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back