iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Dec 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,036 of 1,153

Quote:
Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

So for the ipod setup, will that sound really bad bypassing the DAC? I bought the LOD because I heard you want to avoid the ipod's converter. Will the LOD and amp sound better than the ipod's headphone jack into the amp? Or did I make a mistake buying the LOD, thinking I could use the D4's DAC?

Every one of your questions can be answered by plugging A into B, listening for an hour or so, then plugging A into C, listening for an hour .....

Rinse, repeat, then come back and tell us which combination YOU like best. Thats the only opinion that really matters, and you already have the kit - win-win, really. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #1,037 of 1,153
I guess I'm just too excited for it to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the input.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #1,038 of 1,153
Pulled the trigger. Will pair it with the fi quest when I get some moolah next month or feb.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,039 of 1,153
Ok what the hell. I got my D4 the other day and was all ready to write up my first impressions..now I just hooked it up again and now have no sound. My ipod into the aux in works, but from usb in as a dac/amp I now have no sound. My computer recognizes it.."USB Audio DAC" and the volume is at 100..

I don't get it. It worked perfectly the first 2 days..I can't figure out what's going on. Everything is set up exactly how it was before.

Any ideas?
triportsad.gif

edit: nevermind, this doesn't seem to be the d4's fault. I did the sound test thing and it worked. for some reason my media players aren't switching to the usb line it seems. My computer speakers are still getting the sound when the D4 is on. trying to figure out what changed..

edit again: got it working. I guess if I plug in the D4 with my players open, they don't switch from my line out to the DAC. If I plug in the D4, then open them, it plays through it. alright....lol

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #1,041 of 1,153

Quote:
umm help guys.. Does anyone have the same problem with me? My Headphone Jack went loose out of nowhere and the left sound sometimes dead. Anyone know how to fix this??

I would have someone look at it that knows how to use a soldering iron. It would seem that possibly the socket has come loose from the solder points internal in the amp. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #1,042 of 1,153

Quote:
umm help guys.. Does anyone have the same problem with me? My Headphone Jack went loose out of nowhere and the left sound sometimes dead. Anyone know how to fix this??

[size=medium]
I had the same issue a while back, so contacted ibasso who sent me a couple of replacement parts. Had to get someone to solder them in though!

[/size]

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #1,043 of 1,153
I just got mine today...it does a respectable job pushing my HD600s...better mid-bass than I expected from a small portable, but starts clipping and distorting just a touch at around 3 o'clock on the dial.  I want to add that I wouldn't be able to listen at that level for too long anyway.  The DAC is definitely good enough to reveal your source's quality, or lack thereof.

With headphones that are easier to drive, I could see this being an "all-in-one" solution for just about anyone.  

After just 2 hours, I'm happier than I thought I'd be...we'll see how much burn-in helps. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,044 of 1,153
I can't wait. UPS here takes forever. I've been waiting since 10 in the morning and it's already almost 4. My patience is getting tested here. LoL.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #1,045 of 1,153
Just got it at 7:45 ish. All I can say is that it brought out the mids of my PRO 900. I'm pretty impressed. Connected to the computer via USB right now. I'll try to test using my phone if I can here any difference amped and unamped. It's good that I didn't expect too much or else I would be a little upset. I'm content though. I don't regret anything. It did improve my headphones' mid. It had tighter bass, no distortion on parts of songs where it'll distort unamped. Highs are not sibilant. I love it.

Happy customer here :D Hope it improves with burn-in.

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,046 of 1,153
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info in this thread. I just received my d4 a half hour ago, and am really enjoying it, placebo or no!

I thought my laptop sounded good (and it did), but so far in going back and forth over a couple of my favourite songs a few things have already jumped out to me.
I've found with the d4 (via my akg 272hd phones) the music sounds more accurate (more guitar-like, flugelhorn-like etc.), has better separation of instruments, and better balanced (everything seems more readily audible without being forced - I don't have to really adjust volume or eq to catch details in the music).

I almost regretted the purchase, having somehow missed the primer on the upcoming d6, but considering I'll be using it pretty exclusively with my laptop and relatively undemanding headphones (akg 272hd at home and ath m50 at the office), the $50 upgrade lost its appeal... of course, the d4 is also tried and tested, so I knew what I was getting.

Cheers,

Timothy

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,048 of 1,153
I'm looking to get an amp for my ER4P/S. Does anyone have any thoughts whether the D4 could be a good combo? I'll be using it almost exclusively with my ipod classic. I like the etymotic sound so I'm not trying to alter/overshadow it, but rather to compliment it.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #1,049 of 1,153

Quote:
I'm looking to get an amp for my ER4P/S. Does anyone have any thoughts whether the D4 could be a good combo? I'll be using it almost exclusively with my ipod classic. I like the etymotic sound so I'm not trying to alter/overshadow it, but rather to compliment it.

Didnt you like the recommendations given by kostalex, daveDerek and others in the Skylab's thread ? I thought it was good advice, freely given, from people who have actually heard the combinations they recommended.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,050 of 1,153

Quote:
Quote:

Didnt you like the recommendations given by kostalex, daveDerek and others in the Skylab's thread ? I thought it was good advice, freely given, from people who have actually heard the combinations they recommended.

I totally appreciated the advice, though I haven't responded yet! I actually wrote this question first (11:31 as to 11:44), although honestly, your tone sounds like you're policing the forum! Did I do something wrong? The question still remains and no one in that thread has mentioned this amp. I thought this would be the appropriate thread to ask that specific question!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back