iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Nov 8, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #1,021 of 1,153
I'm happy to report that my brand spanking new HD600's sound fabulous out of the D4 via USB only.  I may throw a battery in it to see how much of a difference I notice, but right now I couldn't be happier.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,022 of 1,153

Quote:
I'm happy to report that my brand spanking new HD600's sound fabulous out of the D4 via USB only.  I may throw a battery in it to see how much of a difference I notice, but right now I couldn't be happier.

Nice...BTW...throw the battery in!
biggrin.gif

Be assured to know that you got really good headphones that do scale very well...you know for down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,023 of 1,153

Quote:
Nice...BTW...throw the battery in!
biggrin.gif

Be assured to know that you got really good headphones that do scale very well...you know for down the road.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL.. You're as evil as ever.. trying to spend other's hard earned money..   I am really impressed with the 600's, but if you'd like to donate your 800's to a worthy cause (namely me) I'll gladly accept them as an early Christmas present..  
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,024 of 1,153

Quote:
LOL.. You're as evil as ever.. trying to spend other's hard earned money..   I am really impressed with the 600's, but if you'd like to donate your 800's to a worthy cause (namely me) I'll gladly accept them as an early Christmas present..  
tongue.gif

It's always fun spending other people's money.
smile.gif

But seriously...down the road, if you could get to try your HD600s (maybe at a local meet) with a really nice desktop amp (ideally tubes IMO), could give you another perspective. But it does seem that the D4 can respectively drive my HD800s for a portable amp.

Oh...I think I'll pass on donating my HD800s.
wink.gif
  But if I ever do hit the lottery...they're yours.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #1,026 of 1,153

Quote:
It's always fun spending other people's money.
smile.gif

But seriously...down the road, if you could get to try your HD600s (maybe at a local meet) with a really nice desktop amp (ideally tubes IMO), could give you another perspective. But it does seem that the D4 can respectively drive my HD800s for a portable amp.

Oh...I think I'll pass on donating my HD800s.
wink.gif
  But if I ever do hit the lottery...they're yours.
tongue_smile.gif

LOL.. all it takes is a dollar and a dream...  now don't forget to buy your tickets... 

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,027 of 1,153

Quote:
LOL.. all it takes is a dollar and a dream...  now don't forget to buy your tickets... 

I usually do...can't win without the tickets (just slightly higher odds at winning over not buying them
wink.gif
).

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,029 of 1,153
When I remove the battery, I can attach a USB charger to the D4, select switch to USB, and I can listen to my DAP through Line in with my headphones plugged in to the Headphone out.

Hope I'm not damaging anything...

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #1,030 of 1,153
No, you aren't going to hurt anything. USB isn't always the purest form of DC with a lot of artifacts on it but it works fine. You could also use an adapter with a USB out for the power but the computer is ok. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #1,031 of 1,153
That should be fine. USB power may not be the highest voltage, or cleanest source, but if you are not noticing any artifacts from it then enjoy your music!

Quote:
When I remove the battery, I can attach a USB charger to the D4, select switch to USB, and I can listen to my DAP through Line in with my headphones plugged in to the Headphone out.

Hope I'm not damaging anything...

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,032 of 1,153
hi

Just got the Mamba. With an iPad and the USB out it's very nice.

Anyway, this thing is going to KILL ME with batteries. (don't tell me to use the 5V. My phones eat 5V for breakfast :D  ).
that pretty cool lithium charger (thanks for the link), back a ways in this huge thread looks like the ticket.

My questions:

1) how long before these batteries start putting out a lot less than 7V? (in hours). Or any battery for that matter. 
2) Any positive thoughts on these chargers?
3) any body else know of a better deal on these (Amazon), or a better charger system?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #1,033 of 1,153
My D4 is on the way and I have some (extremely stupid) questions.

I'm confused about how I'll use this in my setup. I went with a portable amp/dac as I don't want to be tied to my desktop, though that is where most my listening will be done. Also, I didn't want to spend a ton.

1. For use with my ipod, I ordered an LOD. So I would set it to battery, run the ipod through the LOD into the AUX IN, then obviously headphones through the headphone jack. That would use the D4 as an amp/dac combo. Is this all correct?

2. I don't know how I should use it with my computer setup. I have an m-audio recording sound card (can get model if needed), which I run into a mixer, into an amp that drives my speakers/sub at my desktop. As of now, I plug my headphones into the headphone out of the mixer. If I went from that out into the D4 wouldn't it be double converted? Is that bad, good, explosion? Should I bypass the D4's DAC (how..?) or should I just go computer usb into the d4, and headphones into it? That would be using the combo, correct?
-If I wanted to use batteries and my computer as the source, would I hook it up by usb input but set it to battery? or run my comp into the aux in?

3. What's the gain button/switch for?

4. How do I handle volume? More source, less amp, vice versa? Currently with my ipod straight into my denon's, I don't listen at full volume..so at what setting does the amp do best?

Thanks, I know the answers to these questions must be horribly obvious to most of you, but I'm pretty confused as it's my first one.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #1,034 of 1,153
Quote:
1. For use with my ipod, I ordered an LOD. So I would set it to battery, run the ipod through the LOD into the AUX IN, then obviously headphones through the headphone jack. That would use the D4 as an amp/dac combo. Is this all correct?

That would use the D4 as an AMP only. You would need a computer (or iPad with the Camera Connection Kit) to provide USB audio to take advantage of the DAC.

2. I don't know how I should use it with my computer setup. I have an m-audio recording sound card (can get model if needed), which I run into a mixer, into an amp that drives my speakers/sub at my desktop. As of now, I plug my headphones into the headphone out of the mixer. If I went from that out into the D4 wouldn't it be double converted? Is that bad, good, explosion? Should I bypass the D4's DAC (how..?) or should I just go computer usb into the d4, and headphones into it? That would be using the combo, correct?
-If I wanted to use batteries and my computer as the source, would I hook it up by usb input but set it to battery? or run my comp into the aux in?

You would bypass the sound card for this, and plug the D4 in via USB again, not via the Aux In. If you use a headphone cable and the Aux In you are using the D4 as an Amp, but not a DAC.

3. What's the gain button/switch for?

Determining how much voltage is sent to the output. For low-impedence IEMS and headphones you would want to use the lower setting, for higher imedence, and harder to drive cans you would want the higher setting. Personally I find the lower gain setting sounds better and use it exclusively, turning up the volume for my Grado's

4. How do I handle volume? More source, less amp, vice versa? Currently with my ipod straight into my denon's, I don't listen at full volume..so at what setting does the amp do best?

Your source should be line out, or volume all the way up. You will then control headphone volume using the D4's volume knob.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,035 of 1,153
Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

So for the ipod setup, will that sound really bad bypassing the DAC? I bought the LOD because I heard you want to avoid the ipod's converter. Will the LOD and amp sound better than the ipod's headphone jack into the amp? Or did I make a mistake buying the LOD, thinking I could use the D4's DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back