iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Mar 25, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #871 of 1,153
As much as the amp is good, I think the DAC is its most proficient part. As has been said in this thread, its DAC is amazing; it is dual, meaning a few modifications and it could be balanced, has great chips and very low noise in the DAC circuit. The headphone output isn't perfect for highly sensitive balanced armature earphones, but it is very good.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #872 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as the amp is good, I think the DAC is its most proficient part. As has been said in this thread, its DAC is amazing; it is dual, meaning a few modifications and it could be balanced, has great chips and very low noise in the DAC circuit. The headphone output isn't perfect for highly sensitive balanced armature earphones, but it is very good.

I noticed that too about the D4 amp not pairing particularly well with the GR8 which are moving armature. The T3 amp pairs much better imo. The D4 dac on the other hand is quite good, better than the D10 imo.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #873 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that too about the D4 amp not pairing particularly well with the GR8 which are moving armature. The T3 amp pairs much better imo. The D4 dac on the other hand is quite good, better than the D10 imo.

I know it is better then the D10, would it compare to others as the V DAC and the DAC Magic,the reason I'am asking is because I would be using it with aaudio gd c-2 amp for about a year or so.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #874 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it is better then the D10, would it compare to others as the V DAC and the DAC Magic,the reason I'am asking is because I would be using it with aaudio gd c-2 amp for about a year or so.

Well, I can tell you that it doesn't compare with the V-Dac. That's why I'm buying the used one from LeTiger you were apparently interested in. My brother bought a V-Dac a couple weeks ago and I tested it against the D4 and the V-Dac was better to my ears in almost every way...bass, soundstage, transparency, imaging, etc. The D4 is a heck of a good portable though.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #875 of 1,153
I presume since I need something intermediate for now, I don't want to buy the V dac as I would prefer getting a decent DAC in about a year as the audio gd d-19, would the D4 suffice until then.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #876 of 1,153
In that case you might as well use the D4 until you get the Dac-19. It's more than sufficient, not a bad dac at all. I decided to get the V-Dac because I really like the sound of it with tube amps and think I'll be happy with it for a long time. But I've learned here on head-fi to never say never.
wink_face.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #878 of 1,153
I wouldn't say compare necessarily. It is one of the best DAC implementations I've heard in any portable amp/DAC combo. In other words, I'd be silly to say it is better or worse other options. I wish however, that it had more DAC options as USB is really limiting. It is certainly in PICO territory if that is what you want to know, but I was equally impressed with another dual DAC which is under production, but it has no amp section.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #879 of 1,153
Quote:

I wouldn't say compare necessarily. It is one of the best DAC implementations I've heard in any portable amp/DAC combo. In other words, I'd be silly to say it is better or worse other options. I wish however, that it had more DAC options as USB is really limiting. It is certainly in PICO territory if that is what you want to know, but I was equally impressed with another dual DAC which is under production, but it has no amp section.

its nice to know the PICO DAC is somewhere near
smily_headphones1.gif

could the D4 DAC be used for sometime with a top tier desktop amp as the New C-2

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #880 of 1,153
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its nice to know the PICO DAC is somewhere near
smily_headphones1.gif

could the D4 DAC be used for sometime with a top tier desktop amp as the New C-2

I agree the D4 and Pico DAC are somewhat close in presentation and performance, and very good considering they are portable to boot! And yes, it can be a good match for $700-$1200 amps. My Digital Link III and Apogee mini-DAC were a nice step up, but at a considerably higher cost. Those are not out of place driving my ZDT or WES, although the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC was another nice step up from there. It never ends...

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #881 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevier5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the fix and I no longer hear clipping, haven't had too much time to evaluate but I like what I hear. This was my first experience soldering SMD's, it was pretty easy - at least after watching a couple how-to videos on youtube. I did spend a good bit of time practicing on some old computer hardware though.

I've found that a simple (though perhaps highly erroneous - you guys tell me) test is the simple 25 htz wave file online at

http://burninwave.com/download/freq25.wav

It's very easy to examine low bass responce - for instance, when I use the USB power to run by Sennheiser 580s, the bass response is weak and turns to mush as the volume goes past 7. When I use battery power, the volume can go slightly past eight before turning to mush, and the bass between 7 and 8 becomes much stronger and clearer. It's probably the easiest and most obvious way I've found yet of seeing the effect of power on the sound.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #882 of 1,153
I was speaking about clipping on the DAC section, which madwolf found is due to a possible design defect. Wasn't talking about the difference between the battery and usb power (though I definitely hear a difference between the two, even with my low impedance denon d2000's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that a simple (though perhaps highly erroneous - you guys tell me) test is the simple 25 htz wave file online at

http://burninwave.com/download/freq25.wav

It's very easy to examine low bass responce - for instance, when I use the USB power to run by Sennheiser 580s, the bass response is weak and turns to mush as the volume goes past 7. When I use battery power, the volume can go slightly past eight before turning to mush, and the bass between 7 and 8 becomes much stronger and clearer. It's probably the easiest and most obvious way I've found yet of seeing the effect of power on the sound.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #883 of 1,153
does this little fella pair up well with IE8's..?? Since im selling most of my gear off i want to have a small setup to use
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #884 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this little fella pair up well with IE8's..?? Since im selling most of my gear off i want to have a small setup to use
smily_headphones1.gif

An Op amp rolled D10 is a better match for the IE8. The superficial differences/improvements were quite subtle to my ears though.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #885 of 1,153
i need help with headphones i have Koss Porta Pro they sound good to me but i tryed Shure SRH-840 they sound good but not that much better. i sold them. now looking agin my price cap is $160 shipped they got to pair well with the D4/Clip+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back