iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #841 of 1,153
I don't know what it is, but the more I listen with the D4, the more I can hear and appreciate the difference vs not using it (with my iphone 3g and Westone 3s, via a pure copper and silver/gold alloy dock). At first I couldn't hear much of a difference, to be honest. It seemed that the bass was a little tighter, but it was so close I couldn't really tell for sure when A/Bing. It's my first amp, and I'm really just getting into head-fi equipment in general, so some of it may just have been inexperience.

Even still, since I got it, I've used the D4 exclusively, just because, and now after a couple weeks, when going back, I can really tell the difference, for sure. Especially in the openness, for lack of a better word (is this transparency?), and in the size of soundstage (much wider with D4). On the iphone headphone out, it still sounds good, but the sound is a little more congested (by congested I mean the opposite of openness) and the soundstage is noticeably smaller. The sound is just not as airy or detailed and frankly not as enjoyable after coming from the D4 with topkit.

I don't know if burn in literally changed the sound enough that I would have noticed more even initially, or if just listening for a while has shown me the nuances, and it's just easier to notice the differences that make the sound slightly worse, vs noticing the differences that make the sound slightly better.

I don't know which... all I know is that I'm loving the sound with the D4, and it's only getting better with time.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #842 of 1,153
It's surprising how close the D4 with OPA1611A class-A biased opamps can come to the $375 P-51, $399 DACport, or $449 Nuforce HDP with all my universal and custom IEM, and even some full size phones. The DACport and HDP are slightly better, but not 2x better based on price.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #843 of 1,153
Seems iBasso shipped my D4 with DHL, and not EMS like when I ordered the T3
frown.gif
Getting ready for some long waiting time here. With EMS I had the T3 delivered in 3 days. And also I'm a bit disappointed that it took iBasso 48 hrs from my order to actual shipment. Wellwell, hopefully it's because they are busy making awesome new amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #844 of 1,153
My D4 is now in Leipzig, Germany. My guess is the amp will have visited more countries than me when it arrives here
o2smile.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #845 of 1,153
MY D4 IS BROKE. AFTER 57 DAYS AND LESS THEN 100 HOURS I SENT IT BACK TO iBasso FOR REPAIR bad capacitor ITS BURNT I HEARD A POP THEN SEEN A FLASH THE AMP WAS ON AND AT 2:00 THIS REALY SUCKS IT COST $26.00+ INSURANCE WITH USPS TO SEND BACK. AFTER ALL OF THIS I CAN SAY I DID LOVE MY D4. I AM JUST MAD IT BROKE SO QUICK
angry_face.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #846 of 1,153
I can't see the thumbnails very good. Sorry it broke. It can happen with anything, as we know.

I just got a Leica lens for my Leica camera. They produce the finest lenses in the world and the best built. I have to send it in as the focus is off. Frustrating but stuff happens.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #847 of 1,153
Well my D4 is running both line out and headphone amp out perfectly, at the same time, feed by USB. I can feed my monitors with crystal clear sound AND let my headphones burning in.

The best thing is that if the amp is turned off the line out function still works and the headphones are dead silent. So no need to change cables! I and don't see any resolution loss on the amp out with the line out connected, it's damn wonderful!

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #848 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer-33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MY D4 IS BROKE. AFTER 57 DAYS AND LESS THEN 100 HOURS I SENT IT BACK TO iBasso FOR REPAIR bad capacitor ITS BURNT I HEARD A POP THEN SEEN A FLASH THE AMP WAS ON AND AT 2:00 THIS REALY SUCKS IT COST $26.00+ INSURANCE WITH USPS TO SEND BACK. AFTER ALL OF THIS I CAN SAY I DID LOVE MY D4. I AM JUST MAD IT BROKE SO QUICK
angry_face.gif

I know it sucks, but..you will get the refund for your shiping costs.
And also you'll have a new D4!
See the positive.
wink.gif

(i also sent my D4 to them and got the new one very very quickly)
iBasso support really works

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #850 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a Leica lens for my Leica camera. They produce the finest lenses in the world and the best built. I have to send it in as the focus is off. Frustrating but stuff happens.

Yeah, and Jamato's lens cost like - what - four times a D4?!
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't sweat it - it's not what happens, it's how the company treats you after it happens that counts. My sense is the iBasso is good in this respect.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #851 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, and Jamato's lens cost like - what - four times a D4?!
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't sweat it - it's not what happens, it's how the company treats you after it happens that counts. My sense is the iBasso is good in this respect.

35mm Summicron ASPH, more like 8 times or more but who is counting. :^)

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #852 of 1,153
Well I'm having a bit of trouble with my USB output... it lags pretty bad sometimes and it makes my wireless mouse and keyboard unresponsive. If I unhook the USB cable from D4 the problem vanishes away.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #853 of 1,153
Just curious, does D4 used as a Dac/Amp shrink the soundstage and suppress the highs for anybody else? Just had the crazy idea to compare the aux out with the headphone out and discovered that with the same volume(adjusted to vocal, by Michael Jackson if you are curious) the aux out seems much more spacious(more spacious than I've ever heard the UM3X!) and harsher on the high end. Just trying to make sure I'm not crazy.

edit: not at all saying that the aux out is overall better, the headphone out manage bass much better and has a livelier mids as well as not being harsh at all.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #855 of 1,153
I'm so busy enjoying the D4's dac/amp-combo with HD650's I don't have time to surf head fi. Feels good to actually enjoy the gear for a change, head fi usually makes me chase new gear more than enjoying what I have
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back