iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #556 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, try it with the new OPA1611A but the stock buffers, and then compare to a P-51 mustang and you will have a hard time telling which is which. With the stock LMH6655 the sound is a bit fuller, richer and more powerful but a little more forward and aggressive as well (in a good way), although at the expense of worse battery life.

Done that already, the bass punch and depth is indeed there. However I listen at very low levels and my portable cans are either highly sensitive IEM's or Grado. By removing the buffers I have more "room to play" with the volume knob. Cheers.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #557 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really if I where to start from Point zero, An Ibasso D2+ Boa, would have been a better starting point, It already have a Build it battery, charger and run off 5V which is sufficient. It could easily last 20 hours.

I have been looking at the various ibasso design and noted that D2+, D4 and D10 shares the same circuit topology for the AMP section. Single L/R and 2 in one IC buffers. They are like copies of each others. but with different choice of IC and capacitors. The D2 uses less expensive Op-Amp and lower quality capacitors than D4 and D10. The D2+ however does not contain Sockets for the IC, Which means that the Circuit board could me more compact reducing unwanted trace inductance and capacitance. The D2+ could be modded to the same component as the D4 or D10 and have the potential to sound better. The D2+ is simply oozing potential. It will not be able to do 9V like the D4 or Optical like the D10, But the AMP section have the same or even better potential.

When fitted with Toshin UTSJ output caps D10 sound uncanny similar to a D4. And I believe the same would hold true for D2+, Plus it is possible to use the same OP-AMP for the D2+ whatever that fits the D4. It is harder to Roll OP-AMP as soldering is needed but I think the effort would be worth it.

The older D2 uses Transistor buffer and could not be modded the same way.

Hmmmm this concept is really interesting.... just wondering,
1. how much mod is needed to the d2+
2. how different is the dac vs dual dac in d4?

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #558 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunch Money /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I also have a noob question: when burning in, do you need to have headphones plugged in?

I have the same question
redface.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #559 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by malalol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same question
redface.gif

I am going to guess yes, I wouldnt think it would do much being on...as, and Im guessing here, the current has to go somewhere, Ive burned a couple of amps on autopilot with a pillow over the phones

BUT, I felt bad after, its kind of cheating...well your cheating yourself out of the experience!

I burned my D4 in the old fashioned way by listening, it is the only way to fly, you can appreciate how the sound opens up and develops...and you shouldnt burn in the amps all in one shot either, it should be done in phases, other more experience headfiles can elaborate.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #560 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im going to say simply just get the D4, much better amp section, dual DAC is no contest or comparison...just apples to oranges, and I feel there is a bit richer sound when you use the battery (9V) with the D4, though some say they notice no difference...all of this is subjective anyway!

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #561 of 1,153
I have a question about buying/shipping a D4.

They say on their website that the buyer is responsible for duties, fees, etc.

I'm in the US (Detroit Area), how much does it cost to ship and all extra fees "out the door" on top of the price of the amp itself?

I'm thinking about this amp, but I don't want to be surprised by extra fees.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #564 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer-33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi i payed $241 shipped to the usa in kansas so shipping was $22.00 hope this helps you

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

So it should be roughly the same for me, give or take I would think.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #565 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamer-33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif
iam looking at the Shure SRH840 for $145.00 do you think these will pair well with the D4 has anyone paired these two. thank for any info that will help me out .i need bass, mids, and hights
o2smile.gif
dt880smile.png
beyersmile.png

Look here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6238128-post2500.html

Look in the "Neutrality" section. He mentions 840s.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #566 of 1,153
Just got my D4 yesterday and started listening straight out of the box, can say that I'm very satisfied with the sound and bang for buck.

Thank you to all the posters in this thread which have kindly shared their opinions so that people like myself (lurkers) can make a better informed decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I can confirm that you can run a dap (iphone, ipod ..etc) into the aux in while running on usb power from a pc , without having to disable the usb dac in windows, as I have read earlier that use of a dap with the d4 requires that the d4 unit be run solely on the 9v battery.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #567 of 1,153
Can anyone give an example of a nice big head phone to use with the D4? Thinking about HD650, will the D4 give the 650 what they need? Or would it be smarter to buy a cheaper Sennheiser (or Shure) model so that one doesn't waste head phone potential so to speak?
regular_smile .gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #568 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give an example of a nice big head phone to use with the D4? Thinking about HD650, will the D4 give the 650 what they need? Or would it be smarter to buy a cheaper Sennheiser (or Shure) model so that one doesn't waste head phone potential so to speak?
regular_smile .gif

It can drive an HD600 decently but not loudly in 5v mode, and can get much louder in 9v mode where the impact and presence is much better even at moderate volumes. For low to medium volume levels you don't need to install a battery. I don't know about HD650, as I found them to be much pickier about what amp they work best with.

A Grado HF-1, HF-2, RS-1 or Denon D2000/5000/7000, or ATH-ESW10 or an Ultrasone of some sort would be easier to drive and may be a better match. (only mentioning ones I have heard with the D4).

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #569 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can drive an HD600 decently but not loudly in 5v mode, and can get much louder in 9v mode where the impact and presence is much better even at moderate volumes. For low to medium volume levels you don't need to install a battery. I don't know about HD650, as I found them to be much pickier about what amp they work best with.

A Grado HF-1, HF-2, RS-1 or Denon D2000/5000/7000, or ATH-ESW10 or an Ultrasone of some sort would be easier to drive and may be a better match. (only mentioning ones I have heard with the D4).

Ultrasone 750/2500 either open:close are great phones for the money

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #570 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Im going to say simply just get the D4, much better amp section, dual DAC is no contest or comparison...just apples to oranges, and I feel there is a bit richer sound when you use the battery (9V) with the D4, though some say they notice no difference...all of this is subjective anyway!

You may not have noticed from earlier posts, but I have a D4. My biggest problem with it is that I need to keep changing batteries, and that is a pain IMO.

I'm not sure if you have tried both D2+ and D4 before you made the comment that there is no contest/comparison for their DAC; I have not, but I have compared their amp section before; D4 is definitely better, but not by leaps and bounds.

Madwolf's suggestion to mod the D2+ is quite appealing; the built-in batt would solve my problem of keep replacing batts, and if the sound is anywhere close to D4 for both DAC and Amp I would be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back