iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 20, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #376 of 615
They have the same amp station, the D2 only has the additional DAC.

Why exactly didn't you like the DAC?

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #377 of 615
With the DAC input.......it just doesn't sound right, sounds like it cannot scale properly.....everything just don't sound right when i turn it loud....but when i switch to the analog.....it sound so much better....everything is just better....bass, soundstange, focus......do you have the P2?? Have you heard it?

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #379 of 615
I have both the P2 and D2. With the same opamps, the sound is the same. My D2 DAC sounds superb. Better than my D1. I hear no audible differences between my D2 DAC and my Headroom Ultra Micro when feeding the D2.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #380 of 615
D2 hopup kit now available: (2) LM6172 socketed opamps, plug and play.
PM for details.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #381 of 615
Got my Low gain unit and did the static mod even though I didn't hear much static. The paint was covering the ground connection area so I thought it would be a good idea, a metal nail filer worked perfectly. Fired up the new unit and didn't hear much of a difference, if anything it is a little warmer then the high gain unit. One internal difference is the pot, I noticed they were different, similar in size but one had numbers and the other didn't. while messing with the volume I noticed a little play in the new pot and it is easier to turn, the old one is kind of stiff. The new unit sounds great out of the box, i'm curious how the LM6172 opamps change the sound (HiFlight)? I'm happy with iBasso's C service and if the Viper dies after the warranty expires I have a replacement
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #382 of 615
My D2 is sounding very good. I still have the stock opamps in use as I have been working 12 hour shifts and no time but to listen some. The amp section is very good and lifelike in my opinion. It is very clean and transparent. This is a nice addition to portable amps or dac/amps.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #383 of 615
I just updated my review with my 310 hour results of the D2. Burn-in indeed was a good thing for the D2.
biggrin.gif

If I was on a budget of $200 or less, and needed a USB DAC amp then the D2 is simply a no-brainer - but it didn't really keep up with the big boys like a Pico and Predator (in the $500 neighborhood) till after 300 hours. My P2 burned-in twice as fast, before it burned up.

MINI-REVIEW of FOUR USB DAC amps - RSA Predator, Headamp Pico, iBasso D2, Headstage Lyrix

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #384 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 hopup kit now available: (2) LM6172 socketed opamps, plug and play.
PM for details.

Now that I am done burning in the D2 I am going to roll in the two 6172 Friday/Saturday. I will also try the ISL50002 and THS4032. Stay tuned...

I just have to remember if I have both 6172 yet, I know I have one of them...

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #385 of 615
jamato, you were saying that iBasso are selling a different internal clock? do they sell any other opamps as well? I've sent mine back, might as well ask them to ship those to me together with the new D2 next trip.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #386 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jamato, you were saying that iBasso are selling a different internal clock? do they sell any other opamps as well? I've sent mine back, might as well ask them to ship those to me together with the new D2 next trip.

I think you'll find he means the IC as Interconnect, since that's what I saw on their web site when I ordered my D2
wink.gif
not sure about opamps though. For my D1 I got great service from forum member Hi-Flight so unless I can source some UK opamps then I'll be trying the kit (kits?) he's supplying.

Not had more than a few hours use of my D2 so far but it won't be a candidate for mobile use with my ACS T2 iems, the pop at turn on/off is a killer with custom iem and the volume too high just after the on position. Had thought I'd got a high gain unit but when I tried it with Senn PX200 at work the volume range is much more acceptable.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #387 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll find he means the IC as Interconnect, since that's what I saw on their web site when I ordered my D2
wink.gif
not sure about opamps though. For my D1 I got great service from forum member Hi-Flight so unless I can source some UK opamps then I'll be trying the kit (kits?) he's supplying.

Not had more than a few hours use of my D2 so far but it won't be a candidate for mobile use with my ACS T2 iems, the pop at turn on/off is a killer with custom iem and the volume too high just after the on position. Had thought I'd got a high gain unit but when I tried it with Senn PX200 at work the volume range is much more acceptable.

The pop at turn on is only on high gain mode, which for IEMs is obsolete anyway. You should use the low gain mode for IEMs. You will also have a better volume control. I am using low gain mode on Grados and my volume is at 10 o'clock in DAC mode which is loud enough. So there is definately no need to turn on the high gain mode if you don't have demanding phones with high impedance.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #388 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Low gain unit and did the static mod even though I didn't hear much static. The paint was covering the ground connection area so I thought it would be a good idea, a metal nail filer worked perfectly. Fired up the new unit and didn't hear much of a difference, if anything it is a little warmer then the high gain unit. One internal difference is the pot, I noticed they were different, similar in size but one had numbers and the other didn't. while messing with the volume I noticed a little play in the new pot and it is easier to turn, the old one is kind of stiff. The new unit sounds great out of the box, i'm curious how the LM6172 opamps change the sound (HiFlight)? I'm happy with iBasso's C service and if the Viper dies after the warranty expires I have a replacement
biggrin.gif

I think you may be right. The only difference I see between the low and high gain version is the Vol pot. The low gain has "A10K" on it, and the high gain has "B50K"

I still find the high gain version not to my liking. It drives my cans easier but it certainly doesnt sound better. I dunno. Has anyone heard from iBasso on when we are supposed to send these High gain versions back??

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #390 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were supposed to send it back when you got the low gain version, and they would refund you the shipping.

Thought so too..but it sounds like some people plan on keepin both...at least for a while
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back