iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #362 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am confused now after so many complaints about its quality.

Should I go for it or should I wait a few more weeks until all problems are cleared by iBasso ?

If you are a 'first adopter', go for it. If you are like me, wait until the bugs are worked out. The D1 is a 'tight' device; the D2 exhibits problems for some and not others.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #363 of 615
I opened it and from what I could see it definately wasn't of a bad quality. This thing with hissing isn't a thing that really sets the quality down. I think they just tested the unit with an unpainted case and it worked. Now they painted them and the color (or anodization) simply doesn't allow connection of the case to the Ground of the PCB. It's not a real problem because it is easy to fix and I think that if you send it back they could fix it for you.

So all in all I am really pleased with the D2.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #364 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso apparently made some "made to order" high gain version of the D2 for a customer. The Low gain version is the original version that the average customer was supposed to get. They sent some of the high gain version's out to a few of us here by mistake, and then sent replacement "low gain" versions PCB to replace the high gain.

Thanks. How do you tell the two versions apart?

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #365 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am confused now after so many complaints about its quality.

Should I go for it or should I wait a few more weeks until all problems are cleared by iBasso ?

After 209 hrs burn in my D2 sounds excellent with my ALO 780's with Vampire cables.Almost as good as my Pico.IMO
I never used the Dac yet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #366 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 209 hrs burn in my D2 sounds excellent with my ALO 780's with Vampire cables.Almost as good as my Pico.IMO
I never used the Dac yet.
biggrin.gif

can you compare them both as an amp/dac?

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #367 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you compare them both as an amp/dac?

I never used the Dac yet.I only used the amps with CD's.
All I can say is they sound close as an amp only in SQ.
It may be my ears only.I will eventually be able to compare the DAC's.
But working out of town 12-16 hrs a day gives me little spare time.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #368 of 615
With my ALO 780's, I experienced *no* quality issues with the D2. I received a low gain version, plus when I play music w/ it plugged into the AC adapter, I don't hear any static at all unless I turn off the unit.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #369 of 615
I haven't listened to my D2 in a couple of days I think, and I will be comparing it to my Predator and Pico again tomorrow at 11am with exactly 300 hours on it.

Then I start rolling opamps depending on the results, which I will post here MINI-REVIEW of FOUR USB DAC amps - RSA Predator, Headamp Pico, iBasso D2, Headstage Lyrix - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

The only thing that was hurting it last time I listened was a little bit too pronounced bass and a little bit less bass control than I wanted, when paired with ALO modded 780's. It sounded very similar to a Super Macro 3 with 11/07 update and AD797, which is a great Grado amp, so when I tried it with my RS-2 I found the D-2 does shine and strut it's stuff better with those. It just wasn't better than the Pico or Predator.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #370 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. How do you tell the two versions apart?

I havent been able to at a casual glance. I'll take a more detailed look at the two tonight.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #371 of 615
I've tried the mod about the grinding the casing paint off, it works....the static is really gone. But unfortunately i still have the buzz during low gain and power plugged in. I'll run from battery from now on.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #372 of 615
My D2 died this afternoon.......everything was working fine until this afternoon, after work, switch it on.....power light still on but no sound anymore. Tried everything, usb, analong, without charger, with charger.....its dead..
frown.gif
trying to contact iBasso.....i am having thoughts of changing it to the P2....any suggestion??

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #374 of 615
I think it died because it was defective from the beginning. I believe there was a part that wasn't right from the beginning on. Or maybe too much static that was killing something.

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #375 of 615
i didn't kill it, it killed itself........just turn it on one day and it was gone.....no sound whatsoever......i'm wodering if they will let me change to the P2 instead.....i tried the DAC on the D2 and i don't like it, anyone can tell if the D2 or the P2 is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back