iBasso D2+ Boa Vs. cmoybb for Shure SRH40s....
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cris0631

Head-Fier
Hello. I'm new to the this. I just got the Shure SRH840s from Guitar Center for $169.99 (on sale) and I can't decide on which amp to get. The headphone sound great off my ipod classic unamped but I want to get an amp to make it sound its best. I want to get cmoybb b/c i think the my headphone is lacking bass IMO. I don't feel the oomph!...and as for the ibasso i just read a lot of good remarks about it. I wanted to get the D4 before the D2 but i'm on budget.

So i was thinking....

would the ibasso D2+ boa give me the bast boost that i need like the cmoybb?...

the cmoybb is cheaper. so how does it compare with the D2+ boa? is it on par?

and also. I don't have LOD right now. Would a fiio LOD suit my needs or should i spend more for an expensive one?

thanks guys!

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 8
You may get the increased oomph from either of those, I imagine.  The D2+ is probably the better amp, plus you can swap out the little opamps inside the D2+ for different ones to tweak the sound, including opamps for increased output current for that "oomph" you want.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply. But i decided to get the cmoybb for now.(i just ordered it haha) I'll probably get the D2+ boa when i find myself an ipod 5.5 that i can rockbox. I didn't know that changing the opamps can provide more bass. Is it easy? I mean do i have to solder? Sorry newb here. ehe.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 8
The only thing keeping me form buying the new cmoy is that is had 9 dB bass increase which might be too much. My Fiio E5 had about 3.5 dB bass increase and that was almost enough. The 2.02 cmoy had 6 dB bas increase which seems perfect, but I don't know about 9 dB. Please let us know how it is when you get it.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. But i decided to get the cmoybb for now.(i just ordered it haha) I'll probably get the D2+ boa when i find myself an ipod 5.5 that i can rockbox. I didn't know that changing the opamps can provide more bass. Is it easy? I mean do i have to solder? Sorry newb here. ehe.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Yep. I just got mine yesterday. So far so good. Way better than w/o an amp. It does sound like the bass is boosted too much for some of my songs. I just turn down the volume when that happens b/c i think I'm hearing some pops on my headphones.
blink.gif

Quote:
The only thing keeping me form buying the new cmoy is that is had 9 dB bass increase which might be too much. My Fiio E5 had about 3.5 dB bass increase and that was almost enough. The 2.02 cmoy had 6 dB bas increase which seems perfect, but I don't know about 9 dB. Please let us know how it is when you get it.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 8
lol yeah exactly, and I have the crossfades which are much more bass heavy than the 840's to start with. I think Cmoy went a little too far with the whopping 9 dB... I don't know what headphones can handle that well without distorting anything or hearing 'popping' in the headphones lol.

Quote:
Yep. I just got mine yesterday. So far so good. Way better than w/o an amp. It does sound like the bass is boosted too much for some of my songs. I just turn down the volume when that happens b/c i think I'm hearing some pops on my headphones.
blink.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 8
'Pops' can also be an indication of the quality of the recordings both regarding codec and the recording itself. Some amplifiers can have the habit of exposing small details among which codec limits and sounds made during the actual recording.

Just keep the volume on a suitable listening level.  

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Cool . I did not know that nfo. That's why i want to get an ipop 5.5 so i can rockbox it. Play some lossless files. Right now I only have the 1st gen nano rockboxed and an ipod classic.

Quote:
'Pops' can also be an indication of the quality of the recordings both regarding codec and the recording itself. Some amplifiers can have the habit of exposing small details among which codec limits and sounds made during the actual recording.

Just keep the volume on a suitable listening level.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back