Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Aug 6, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #1,126 of 1,141
I kept the amp running for past 2 days at almost untolerable volume levels. Today when i came home, a miracle has happened. Some bass has started coming out. Previously i used to keep the volume knob of D2 at 11'o clock. Now I have to keep it between 12 and 1'o clock. But sound quality has tremendously improved. I am still keeping wmp graphic equalizer sliders few notches higher. But I can happily conclude that i now enjoy some awesome bass. Well its not in good quantity, but of really good quality.
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #1,129 of 1,141
I am trying to concoct a library listening rig for my laptop based around a ATH-A700. I know the A700's dont need an amp, but I was looking to use it mostly as a DAC, since the line out on my Dell E1505 is unacceptably noisy.

Would the D2+ be a good candidate for this? Or would I be just fine (and save ~$130!) with a USB sound card like the Turtle Bay Audio Advantage Micro?

I'm not adverse to getting a D2+ if it is going to be a definite improvement in sound quality, as I'm assuming the D2+ has a better DAC, but since the A700 doesn't "need" amplification is putting down $170 for the D2+ truly necessary just to get a slightly better DAC?

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #1,131 of 1,141
I have been reading around for a couple of days and yet to make a decision. I have a pair of shure SCL4 and i was thinking about getting the d2+ boa , the problem is I have been seeing people talking about them being bass light and brittle. The SCL4 is not the warmest IEM out there so I am afraid they will have bad synergy. Any thoughts?

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #1,132 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My A900 sounded a lot better with the D2 than with no amp, so i suspect the A700 will scale up with an amp as well, especially one with a nice DAC inside.

No, not really. There's differences, but they're not amazingly different.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #1,135 of 1,141
im also interested getting D2+boa coz i need a dac + amp for my laptop
tested it before as amp with creative zen and i hear no diff.. havent tried as dac

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #1,137 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading around for a couple of days and yet to make a decision. I have a pair of shure SCL4 and i was thinking about getting the d2+ boa , the problem is I have been seeing people talking about them being bass light and brittle. The SCL4 is not the warmest IEM out there so I am afraid they will have bad synergy. Any thoughts?

I have both the SCL4 and D2 Boa (not the plus). And I do not notice any bass improvements. I have the T2 with bass boost and it does give the SCL4 and nice kick. I have not heard the T4 but would suggest the ibasso T4 or Fiio over the D2 Boa if you want more bass out of the SCL4s.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #1,138 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojoarmani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the iBasso Boa be used to listen to FLACs from the computer using the USB connection and not the audi-in on the lapotopo?

Just plug the into usb. The audio will come through automatically. Windows will identify it as a usb audio device. But depending on the media player you use, you should use the ASIO plugin for Windows XP and WASAPI plugin in Windows Vista/7.

As a side note has anyone tried swapping caps in this amp? I've searched for a thread or post about this but haven't come across any. My Boa came with Elna 22uf 25v radial Stargets > Shenzhen Wandiantong Electronics 4.7uf 100v box > Chemicon 10uf 50v radial which all appear to be on the input side (before the volume pot). Because it's so tight I can't see if these are in parallel or serial, but I suspect parallel. I've already swapped the Stargets and Chemicons with equivalent Silmic II's. And I have to say that the music has gained some control & clarity... it's interesting. Gain was particularly in the bass & mid ranges. Although the top end is also a little clearer there's still a bit too much sparkle here. Have to replace the Shenzhen box caps yet.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,139 of 1,141
Sorry to drag up an old thread but it would be nice to hear some opinions of Boa users that still own the amp/DAC that now have some miles on them. I think it was Headphone Addict that mentioned in this thread about some other Ibasso amp that didn't reach it's full potential until it had 300+ hours on it. My D2 Boa has over 250 hours on it now and I can still hear improvements, Listening to Mark Isham's Blue Sun album there is a very real and organic sound to his trumpet, Listening with Etymotic Er4's there is nothing missing from the music, very nice. To anyone who is looking for a good USB DAC/Amp I think it would be hard to find anything better for the $'s spent, just be patient with the burn-in process....:wink:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back