Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Aug 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #976 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone side by side the Boa with the Headsix? I have both on my desktop right now and have been A/B-ing them with my MS2i Alessandros. I'm hearing a bit tighter, more detailed and deeper bass on the Boa and just a smidge of a veil on the highs, although the latter seems to be a stretch. The Boa only has 17 or so hours on it so it is not burned in.

Both are excellent units. Fully burned in, the boa is slightly better in pretty much every respect. Once burned in, I have noted no "veil" of any kind with the boa if paired with the right kind of headphones.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #977 of 1,141
What do you mean by "right kind of headphones"? With the "right kind of headphones" the Boa could sound like a whale fart. (obligatory smiley)
That saying, the veil seems to be more subjective and may be a product of greater detail on the high end bringing recording issues foreward.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #978 of 1,141
Just some questions on my new "baby": What's a good source for a quality 12" USB cable? The one with the Boa is way too long. Also....the finish on the Boa is a bit bright and a real fingerprint/scratch magnet. Anyone find some sort of "sleeve" to protect it? The little bag is a bit bulky and I hate having to fish it out/in every time.

What is the proper way to burn this unit in?

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #979 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posted my Boa back to iBasso on July 22 to fix the headphone jack. After an e-mail enquiry I was told it hasn't arrived yet - should only take 4-6 business days so it should have been there more than a week already. Hopefully it turns up soon...

It has arrived at iBasso
normal_smile .gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #980 of 1,141
Airmail can take weeks. The best is express, though expensive it only takes 3 to 4 days.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #981 of 1,141
do you guys have any experience with these amps and the stock SE530s? I'm thinking about getting one of these amps, and now that i see the D3 is coming out I'm really taking an interest into it. Headphone Addict had a great review of many portable amps, but he had specially modified SE530s. Just want to see how much of a difference in opinion there might be.

Also, what's an opamp and how/where do I get the "upgrades" if need be. A lot of people seem to be doing that. Thanks so much!

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #982 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by clixer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any info on when it will be available?

The only info I found on the Net:
MAD-07+ (iBasso D3)
(in development, progress 70%)

Five grain of AAA battery power supply. Uses the PCM2706+WM8740 chip. I2S contact surface. Outside high quality portable usb sets at the sound card, has the line input output function. The built-in four channel ear puts.

Volume: 90 x 56 x 22 mm. Weight: 130g (does not contain battery).
It is from the www.mini-audio.net site translated with babelfish- 5/23/2008.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #983 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you guys have any experience with these amps and the stock SE530s? I'm thinking about getting one of these amps, and now that i see the D3 is coming out I'm really taking an interest into it. Headphone Addict had a great review of many portable amps, but he had specially modified SE530s. Just want to see how much of a difference in opinion there might be.

Also, what's an opamp and how/where do I get the "upgrades" if need be. A lot of people seem to be doing that. Thanks so much!

I have the stock SE530s paired with the boa and it an excellent match. So far I have found that the boa in fact pairs the best with the 530s of all my headphones. You definitely would not be disappointed.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #984 of 1,141
I just tried to use a separate USB cord for my iBasso D2 Boa and was surprised to find out that it did not work. The same occurred when I tried to use the iBasso USB cord on my MP3 player.
One of the functions of portable music systems is that they be PORTABLE. Having to carry multiple cables with the same connectors on each end is an asinine design flaw that could have been easily predicted and remedied. While I love the Boa, I was rather sad to see that iBasso stooped to using proprietary cables.
Are there any shorter (~30 cm) USB cables offered by iBasso or other manufacturers that would work for the Boa? At least a shorter cable would take up less space.

Thanks,
Sam

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #985 of 1,141
I have a number of USB cables and they all work with the Boa. There isn't anything proprietary. You appear to have jumped to a conclusion that is not conclusive. Right now I am using a white 1 foot USB cable.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #986 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a number of USB cables and they all work with the Boa. There isn't anything proprietary. You appear to have jumped to a conclusion that is not conclusive. Right now I am using a white 1 foot USB cable.

Hey Jam... are you using a cable with a ferrite bead? If not, have you noticed any difference? I have considered this but I was looking for a short cable with a ferrite bead.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #987 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jam... are you using a cable with a ferrite bead? If not, have you noticed any difference? I have considered this but I was looking for a short cable with a ferrite bead.

I haven't really A B'd them. I just use whatever cable is near, which is normally the short white USB I use for my dock. I can try the ferrite and will get back.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #988 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoxfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the stock SE530s paired with the boa and it an excellent match. So far I have found that the boa in fact pairs the best with the 530s of all my headphones. You definitely would not be disappointed.

Awesome! Thanks so much. Now I'm just waiting for either the Boa to be back in stock or for the D3 to come out and see how that is. Thanks again!

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #989 of 1,141
Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem:
Quote:

the cable works great for what its meant to be - used for the DAC, but when i tried to use the cable to say, import the pictures i took of it - it did NOT work. the usb cable doesnt work as a normal cable (?!) but works fine with the boa.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...y-thee-335615/

For some reason it does not want to work with my Cowon D2 cable and my Cowon D2 does not like the iBasso cable.
What is frustrating is that this is the first cable I have run into that did not work on the Cowon.

EDIT: I just grabbed another cable (the fourth one) and it worked on both....weird.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #990 of 1,141
Strange, I don't know what to say. I have no issues. Maybe a defective USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back