Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #901 of 1,141
I got Boa about 3 weeks ago, did 200+ hours burn-in,
and I can say that Boa is not better than I expected.
It has some sound quality, transparency, however, less-attractive.
And you know, it's hard to roll opamps.

Though Boa is good for new portable amp user imo.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #902 of 1,141
I find that the source can be a limiting factor but everyone's milage will vary. Sure is hard to roll opamps. :^)

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #903 of 1,141
well I ordered yesterday and they said they would ship today when i emailed to confirm delivery address due to paypal error in sending the wrong address.

isao - perhaps it wasn't as good as you expected given the hype around it, which is understandable. However, it is hard to believe that the predator, pico and 2Move all deliver sound that is SO much better. Especially since they are cutting into the territory of very good home desktop DACs and amps.

Remember, a portable unit is portable and whilst you don't want to sacrifice sound too much the convenience of quick charging and battery life is key. Admittedly the Predator does better here than the ibasso on battery life and portability and flexibility - but $350 difference I would rather put on a better can.

Overall the D2 boa is probably better than just 'good'. Tell me how good it is once you listen to a microshar/govibe 5/pa2v2 type device and don't forget about the quality of the source file!!!

Opamp rolling is easy in the Boa - just get a soldering iron....none of this lazy newbie dip-socket nonsense. I think we're beyond the lego stages of life (three year olds could roll using dip sockets). All the best opamps are SOIC anyway
tongue.gif

Even the fabled OPA627 i think comes in soic. not everything comes in dip without a browndog.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #904 of 1,141
I've just sent my viper back in exchange for a Boa.....i hope it won't dissapoint me.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #905 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've had both and I chose the Boa
biggrin.gif
Just the convenience of USB charging and longer battery life won me over. They almost sound the same to IMO, but the Boa has better spacial imaging but less bass IMO.

Thanks for you opinion. I already sent mine back, i guess there is not much point fixing it since this happened the second time already. Looking foward for the Boa.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #906 of 1,141
My Boa has been sent back to fix a dodgy headphone socket. Haven't heard too many issues with these so this is probably an isolated occurrence. Have to say that my PC and laptop soundcard outputs are (predictably) not that pleasing to return to.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #907 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Boa has been sent back to fix a dodgy headphone socket. Haven't heard too many issues with these so this is probably an isolated occurrence. Have to say that my PC and laptop soundcard outputs are (predictably) not that pleasing to return to.

Overall the boa build seems to be excellent. I have had a couple of small problems, but nothing significant enough to send the unit back for repairs yet though. The main power lite tends to want to stay off most of the time. At first I thought it just needed charing but it contiunes to do it after being fully charged. Just as well actually, in my home office I must have 100 lites glowing from various electronics. Sometimes I want to shut them all off, other times I like the effect. I can tell when the unit is on without the light so it is really not a big deal.
My stock interconnect busted on both ends within 2 weeks. Really a terrible cable. Not at all designed for portable use. But the up side is that it forced me to get a copper/silver hand made cable that is absolutely wonderful. Built extremely well, obviously built to take a beating, and adds all kinds of suble nuances to the music coming from my phones which was already great with the little boa.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #908 of 1,141
D2 BOA is good as nice amp...really good fit with my im716

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #909 of 1,141
I have alot of issues with the viper, at first was the grounding issue....very loud static when i charge and play it at the same time. iBasso said i am not suppose to charge and play it together. Then the opamp failed and now this. I really hope the Boa would be much better in terms of build quality. Just to make sure this time, the Boa can be charged while playing at the same time right?

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #910 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have alot of issues with the viper, at first was the grounding issue....very loud static when i charge and play it at the same time. iBasso said i am not suppose to charge and play it together. Then the opamp failed and now this. I really hope the Boa would be much better in terms of build quality. Just to make sure this time, the Boa can be charged while playing at the same time right?

Yes the boa can be charged while playing with no problem. That is how it is designed. When you have it plugged in via the USB port, there is a little toggle switch that controls whether the unit is charging or not. The only reason that the switch is there is that you only want to charge the boa when it actually needs a charge or you will cut down on its battery life. As to how long between charges, I am getting way beyond what ibasso claims.
I easily get 40+ hours between charges.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #911 of 1,141
Its true that the battery last very long. I mainly used it with my ipod on the go and i had to charge my ipod at least twice before the viper runs dried.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #912 of 1,141
I have a couple of questions, my boa will work fine when using with my iPod, but when I use it with my (and other) laptops using the usb, I get no sound at all, could this be a probem with the usb cable? My other question, it will work fine with my laptop when using a mini to mini cable from my headphone jack out from my laptop to the input of my boa but this doesn't bypass my soundcard, is that correct? Thanks.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #913 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of questions, my boa will work fine when using with my iPod, but when I use it with my (and other) laptops using the usb, I get no sound at all, could this be a probem with the usb cable? My other question, it will work fine with my laptop when using a mini to mini cable from my headphone jack out from my laptop to the input of my boa but this doesn't bypass my soundcard, is that correct? Thanks.

Chances are you just need to set the Boa as the default audio playback device on your laptop after you've connected it via USB. If you're working in Windows, you can find this option by opening the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon in your Control Panel.

As for your second question, you are correct. All you're doing there is amplifying the headphone-out of your laptop's built-in soundcard.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #914 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chances are you just need to set the Boa as the default audio playback device on your laptop after you've connected it via USB. If you're working in Windows, you can find this option by opening the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon in your Control Panel.

As for your second question, you are correct. All you're doing there is amplifying the headphone-out of your laptop's built-in soundcard.

Thanks for the answer to the 2nd question, but my boa was working with my laptop and it doesn't work with other laptops anymore. I do have it as my default, that's why I'm thinking it may be the cable. I didn't know if anyone else have had this problem or if it's the boa itself. thanks again.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #915 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

problem solved, just found another usb cable and it works great again, it was the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back