Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #781 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easier said than done with 300GB on the server and 160GB for OS, work data + apps on the laptop :wink:

500gb externals are running like 125 bucks on sale now a days =P

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #782 of 1,141
Hi All!

Firstly-A BIG thank to everybody for a very helpful thread!

You all basically convinced me to pull the trigger and get a Boa...
I'm ordering tomorrow!
This will be my first portable amp so I'm very excited!

Just need a bit of reassurance as the Boa and Headrooom ToatalBitHead work out at pretty much exactly the same price for me shipped...wondered if any of you had had/listened to both and could give me a quick comparison?

I mainly listen to Prog Metal, Thrash Metal, 60's rock and some acoustic and classical, all ALAC or at least 320kbps MP3 and I'll be using Shure SE210's (for now) with custom moulds(long story)...

Thanks again!

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #783 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
500gb externals are running like 125 bucks on sale now a days =P

Yep, but I already have one for offsite backups and I don't really want to have yet another one. I'll see if I can fix this when I get a chance, or I'll make local copies onto the laptop when I want to play something (at least for a while)...

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #784 of 1,141
boa just arrived

little dac amp feel impressive
very little and very shiny in grey

sound nothing special at the moment really

ears very demanding though

burn in in progress

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #785 of 1,141
hey, what would be considered the next step up from a boa that is a usbdac

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #786 of 1,141
Headamp Pico USB/DAC
wink.gif

BTW does anyone know the impedance range for the Boa..?? I just ordered one for my PK1's..... Hopefully it was a wise choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #787 of 1,141
drives hd600 and ps-1 ok after somehours burn in the changes yet mentioned in progress

seems to lack speed (and prat) , which is among the most important factors in my list ( fun ) ; most of the portable amp I've tried based on opamp lack speed and lack big presence

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #788 of 1,141
I would say don't waste time with portables unless you need them - a proper desktop set is going to generally be better per $$$.

I need them as I already have a very nice desktop dac but it's just a smidge too big to pocket and take with me on a trip with a laptop.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #789 of 1,141
Got a small problem wit the Boa, the cable that came with the Boa is beginning to break. If I use it anymore, it's bound to snap off. I was wondering if there is another cheap alternative to this cable rather then buying the 19 Euro cable that iBasso offers at their site (iBasso)

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #790 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say don't waste time with portables unless you need them - a proper desktop set is going to generally be better per $$$.

I need them as I already have a very nice desktop dac but it's just a smidge too big to pocket and take with me on a trip with a laptop.

just a try out , and I need a portable solution for the laptop

worth 200$ ? as an ultra portable dac amp , which is cheap , that one can use both out of a laptop on tour ( foobar dsp loaded of course ) and out of any line out / usb out , 300% plug and play , I would say yes -

far away from my home rig§ ? yes , no doubt about it , far

want to wait a 200hr burn in at least though to say last words on sound

btw sound signature change more then slightly swtiching gain position , which is a good thing

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #792 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a pity rolling not available anymore , even though solder at hand can do , still have to open it ..

Yes it is a pity, my Boa came alive when I installed an LM6172 on the headphone socket.
biggrin.gif
I do not use it as a DAC but to test I rolled a bunch of op-amps and there are some interesting options depending on the sound you are looking for.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #793 of 1,141
Jul 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #794 of 1,141
thanks , now I'm asio-ed club too

I expect the most improvement from burn in . I'm expecting a better ambience , separation and positioning of sound but i'm not expecting speed / prat improving much .

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #795 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems to lack speed (and prat) , which is among the most important factors in my list ( fun ) ; most of the portable amp I've tried based on opamp lack speed and lack big presence

Im a newb but what do you mean when you say lack speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back