Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
May 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #137 of 1,141
The sound is a little more distant, a little more stage. There is a little more separation of sounds. It is very early to know for sure but this is what I am hearing right now. I am listening with the Ed. 9, which I find can dissect the sound very well for me while still being musical.

May 24, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #139 of 1,141
Jam,
If I remember correctly that manual said that when both the usb and line in is plugged in - the usb has a higher priority. This seems to mean that you can't listen to an external source while usb is plugged in. The "switch" to line in automatically happens when usb is plugged off. The switch on the back only seems to be activating charging but doesnt stops usb signal from feeding the amp. I'll try this later meanwhile you may please chime in.

May 24, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #140 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can this be used just as a DAC?

Not as a stand alone dac. It is either a amp and dac or just an amp. You could use it like a dac and the amp section as a preamp into an amp, which you can do with most amps like this but it sounds clean enough that it would work well.

May 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #141 of 1,141
I see thanks for that. I don't have any experience with pre-amping, how exactly would that work with my DV 332?

May 24, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #142 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by musica08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jam,
If I remember correctly that manual said that when both the usb and line in is plugged in - the usb has a higher priority. This seems to mean that you can't listen to an external source while usb is plugged in. The "switch" to line in automatically happens when usb is plugged off. The switch on the back only seems to be activating charging but doesnt stops usb signal from feeding the amp. I'll try this later meanwhile you may please chime in.

Just did this...running audio out from my laptop, the moment I plugged the analog IC into the front the USB audio shuts off. This is the case with the charge toggle on and off.

So...seems the analog input has priority.

May 24, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #144 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by daco63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Jam. Are there two AD8656's for the DAC and L/R, or is there another?

Dave

I don't know I will have to look again.

Starting to love the sound of the amp. Very dynamic with a real kick to it. Bass is coming around very nice and the amp is clean with a nice frequency extension.

May 24, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #145 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see thanks for that. I don't have any experience with pre-amping, how exactly would that work with my DV 332?

You turn up the 332 to almost max, turn the amp/dac to the lowest volume. The amp/dac will need an IC to connect it to the input of the 332, where your source goes, and the amp/dac now control the volume of the 332 because you use the volume control of the amp/dac instead of the volume control on the 332. That is was a preamp does, it pre amplifies the signal going into an amplifier.

May 24, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #146 of 1,141
Hi guys, thanks for answering my preivous questions.

Still wondering about the driving capability of the Boa. Will is drive just as well as a Mini3 or Pico?
(im planning on getting a portable for AKG sextetts, which I think are 600ohm. Yeah, I know a home amp would be better, but im looking for portable).

Thanks

May 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #147 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x10 on the idea of comparing BOA and MOVE. Just borrow one from my friend and I like the sound of the MOVE so much, but its DAC is really bad and I'm looking a better alternative.

I'm assuming you *are* talking about the original MOVE.

And I'm also gonna assume the 2MOVE's DAC is much better.

I think the DAC aspect of the Boa or 2Move is the most important thing to me right now.

May 24, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #148 of 1,141
I thought the Boa was sounding too good.

I started comparing using the amp section with Monica II and then the Amp with the USB dac. Damn, the USB dac sounds better. Monica don't let me down. This is bothersome as Monica is an excellent dac and I don't want anything to outdo her. I really am serious but what can I say? I will actually work on Monica, give her a lift and maybe some implants to get the spacial presentation I am hearing with the Boa dac. Frustration but I guess a good thing for the Boa users.

I guess I also need to do some comparisons of the amp section with other amp sections of other amps to make sure it is Monica or the output of just the amp section of the Boa but it is very early in the listening and burn-in phase.

May 24, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #150 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So for a first amp, this is just press buy button and get over it?

It was for me...after following closely the thread on the D2 Viper for a couple of months. Hard to believe that they would follow the Viper up with something radically worse.

Resale value of the ibasso amps has held pretty well on the fs forum here, so that is also encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back