Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #331 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealcatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't seem to do anything. I know when I received the boa it was charged and the blue led was off.

turn the volume knob all the way to the left, towards the jacks. you will feel a pretty tangible click.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #332 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by copse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
turn the volume knob all the way to the left, towards the jacks. you will feel a pretty tangible click.

Thanks, it worked. I wasn't turning enough, it was tight and I didn't want to break it.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #333 of 1,141
hm when you first plugged in your boa into the pc, did it automatically install new drivers? since it asks me if it wants to look for some drivers, which i click yes to, and it says it fails to find drivers <_<

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #334 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatsosixsixsix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm when you first plugged in your boa into the pc, did it automatically install new drivers? since it asks me if it wants to look for some drivers, which i click yes to, and it says it fails to find drivers <_<

It should be automatic. Try a different usb port. If it fails to install again, reboot and try again.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #335 of 1,141
Currently listening to the silver Boa as we speak (via usb). Not too shabby at all. I'll refrain from reviewing because: a. electrical and mental burn-in should be given a proper amount of time, and b., I'm by no means an even remotely capable reviewer, especially compared with some of the gurus on this ridiculously helpful site/community.

Edit: One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two gain settings. When I flick the switch there is just a slight perceptible change in volume. Perhaps this normal to portable amps, or the maker's intention, but I thought the difference in gain would be greater.

Edit 2: I'm listening to the Boa with ATH-A900 (40 ohms) and UM2s (27 ohms)

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #336 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: One thing I have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two gain settings. When I flick the switch there is just a slight perceptible change in volume. Perhaps this normal to portable amps, or the maker's intention, but I thought the difference in gain would be greater.

yes, i noticed that too. i would have thought the volume shift would have been greater. though besides change in volume, for some reason i feel the sound changes a bit too. i like it much better in high gain even though i'm pretty sure i should be driving my headphone (k271s) with the low gain setting.

i have been listening to the dac/amp mostly now. there is definitely a change in the sound (when i bought the amp, i was skeptical about SQ change as opposed to only a volume change) it is pretty friggin awesome! i cannot really articulate the change but there is definitely more separation between different sounds for instance. i am really liking this. will be listening to it through the amp only in the office today, lets see how that goes.

though i still do wonder why i have to turn the volume knob pretty much all the way with the ipod to obtain listen-able levels.

with most of the impressions in this thread about the boa, i am never sure if folks are talking about the capabilities of the boa's amp or dac/amp. i wonder if some folks could clarify.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #337 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by copse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i noticed that too. i would have thought the volume shift would have been greater. though besides change in volume, for some reason i feel the sound changes a bit too. i like it much better in high gain even though i'm pretty sure i should be driving my headphone (k271s) with the low gain setting.

i have been listening to the dac/amp mostly now. there is definitely a change in the sound (when i bought the amp, i was skeptical about SQ change as opposed to only a volume change) it is pretty friggin awesome! i cannot really articulate the change but there is definitely more separation between different sounds for instance. i am really liking this. will be listening to it through the amp only in the office today, lets see how that goes.

though i still do wonder why i have to turn the volume knob pretty much all the way with the ipod to obtain listen-able levels.

with most of the impressions in this thread about the boa, i am never sure if folks are talking about the capabilities of the boa's amp or dac/amp. i wonder if some folks could clarify.

Are u trying to drive low sensitivity, high impedance phones?

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #338 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealcatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't seem to do anything. I know when I received the boa it was charged and the blue led was off.

Maybe turn it past zero until it clicks off.

That's how the Viper works.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #340 of 1,141
hm tried it on another pc and it didnt work either
do i happen to need a dedicated sound card on my pc?

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #341 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are u trying to drive low sensitivity, high impedance phones?

I am trying to drive the AKG K271s phones. impedance 55 ohms, sensitivity 91db SPL/mW. i'm not sure if that qualifies as low sensitivity but i don't think that is high impedance? (i'm new at this stuff, so please pardon my ignorance!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatsosixsixsix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm tried it on another pc and it didnt work either
do i happen to need a dedicated sound card on my pc?

no you do not. perhaps you need to update your drivers. see what onboard sound chip you have and research for updated firmware. that might work.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #342 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit 2: I'm listening to the Boa with ATH-A900 (40 ohms) and UM2s (27 ohms)

With my Senn HD600s (300ohm), the high gain seems to make a huge difference to the SQ. Low gain, and the music seems somewhat flat. High gain and the cans really start to sing.

I'd say anyone with integrated sound on a laptop should get one of these, considering the portable amp ability it's a steal, and I'm sure iBasso could have charged a lot more.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #343 of 1,141
There isn't a huge difference in gain but as noted above, the sound quality, to my ear, takes a bit of a jump when set to the high gain position.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #344 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't a huge difference in gain but as noted above, the sound quality, to my ear, takes a bit of a jump when set to the high gain position.

hi jamato, are most of your impressions on the boa based on the dac or also on the amp too? just wondering. i have listened to both by now, of course i have very little burn in time (left it running last night in dac mode) and i find there is a bit of a difference between dac and amp-- the dac sounds better to me. a little clearer and more bass impact. i am using akg k271s phones. i am glad i saw this thread and bought this amp though. perfect for the price. thanks a lot!

edit: just wanted to mention i've listened to a lot of various kinds of music with this amp-- radiohead, nicolo paginini, nusrat fateh ali khan, l subramaniam, pearl jam, nick drake, etc. most of my files are mp3s at 192 kbps or more (most are in the 256 range, some 320) and q8 ogg files. my laptop source is a dell inspiron, on board sound, linux alsa and portable i drive it with a rockboxed ipod video (5.5 G) with a headphone out (LOD in the mail!)

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #345 of 1,141
A very quick minireview regarding my experience with Ibasso by a total beginner
redface.gif

Shopping:
Easy.
Minor problem in getting a tracking number, but a quick question on their webpage solved it within hours. Delivered to Norway in 3 days, in perfect condition, ready charged to be to used
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound:
I have been using the headphone out on my Sony 5200es feed by a Squeezebox mostly. I have also used the headphone out out on my pc.
What I noticed the most with the usb/dac running, was that all sounds were more isolated/separated than before, and that I could dig "deeper" into the music, hearing sounds I had not heard before on records I am quite familiar with (Led Zeppelin/Porcupine Tree/Indochine/ASian Dub Foundation to name a few)
One thing that stood out, was that I was able to follow the decay of cymbals longer than before. Everything was much clearer.
I have also been running this with my Se w850i, and I had the same experience there. I have normally had the phone on bass boost in the eq, but I had the feeling that the bass was equivalent with flat eq when running through the Boa as amp.

All in all, a very well spent 119€ delivered to my door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back