iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3,901 of 4,153
I don't think I ever recommended using the headphone out to drive another amp if you are just using the dac section of the D10. That would put another circuit in the signal path. I would use it with the line out not the HP output.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #3,902 of 4,153
I think at one point I may have noticed that the D10 line-out was softer and less dynamic sounding, and the output level was not as high as my Pico DAC only. I found that using the headphone out as a preamp with opamp upgrade installed sounded slightly better with my low gain amps, where I could turn up the volume of the D10 for a higher output level. With proper volume matching the D10 line out is probably not really worse.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #3,906 of 4,153
Got some doubts about the D10 and amps in general.

For what i've read from the D10 manual, if i plug the optical cable, the AUX will act as line out, and HP out will be ignored. Then, if i plug my headphone to the aux input, the D10 will only act as a DAC? There will be no amplification?

I wish to use D10 for my headphone and speakers. DAC for speakers, DAC/Amp for headphone. Both using USB (for charging) and optical. Is that possible? Where should i plug connectors for this to happen?

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #3,907 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got some doubts about the D10 and amps in general.

For what i've read from the D10 manual, if i plug the optical cable, the AUX will act as line out, and HP out will be ignored. Then, if i plug my headphone to the aux input, the D10 will only act as a DAC? There will be no amplification?

I wish to use D10 for my headphone and speakers. DAC for speakers, DAC/Amp for headphone. Both using USB (for charging) and optical. Is that possible? Where should i plug connectors for this to happen?

The optical takes precedence, if both optical and USB are plugged in, charging is possible, but signal from optical will be heard.

You can listen to either headphone out or line out (from Aux In/Out), but not both at the same time. Aux out takes priority over headphone out.

Hope this helps...unfortunately, you cannot feed your powered speakers and listen to the D10 headphone out at the same time.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3,908 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The optical takes precedence, if both optical and USB are plugged in, charging is possible, but signal from optical will be heard.

You can listen to either headphone out or line out (from Aux In/Out), but not both at the same time. Aux out takes priority over headphone out.

Hope this helps...unfortunately, you cannot feed your powered speakers and listen to the D10 headphone out at the same time.

I was thinking that both at the same time would not be possible.

But, if i want to listen to speakers, i should plug in Aux, and if i want to change to headphones, i should plug in HP out?

Correct me if i'm wrong: the HP out with optical connection will act as DAC/Amp, while the AUX (in this case, only DAC) will act as line out, without amplification. Is that so?

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #3,910 of 4,153
Quote:

...if i want to listen to speakers, i should plug in Aux, and if i want to change to headphones, i should plug in HP out?

Yes. The D10 searches for input signals - Coaxial, if no coaxial it seeks Optical, if no Optical it seeks USB - and delivers to Aux, if no Aux then through the Amp section to Headphone Out.

Quote:

...the HP out with optical connection will act as DAC/Amp, while the AUX (in this case, only DAC) will act as line out, without amplification. Is that so?

Yes.

So some of your possible scenarios are:
  • You have Optical and Aux connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC only listening to the Optical input.
  • As above but also USB connected. You're using it as a DAC only listening to the Optical input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have USB and Aux connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC only listening to the USB input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have Optical and Headphone connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the Optical input.
  • As above but also USB connected. You're using it as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the Optical input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have USB and Headphone connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the USB input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
I hope that clarifies in sufficient detail.

Have fun with it - it's a great combo device!

BTW, I find the Aux output to be considerably less in voltage than my other DACs so you may be pushing the volume control up on your speaker Amp when you are using it as a DAC (but the sound is great
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #3,911 of 4,153
Very comprehensive and accurate overview, Webbie...Probably should be a sticky on the D10 thread!

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #3,912 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The D10 searches for input signals - Coaxial, if no coaxial it seeks Optical, if no Optical it seeks USB - and delivers to Aux, if no Aux then through the Amp section to Headphone Out.

Yes.

So some of your possible scenarios are:
  • You have Optical and Aux connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC only listening to the Optical input.
  • As above but also USB connected. You're using it as a DAC only listening to the Optical input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have USB and Aux connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC only listening to the USB input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have Optical and Headphone connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the Optical input.
  • As above but also USB connected. You're using it as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the Optical input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
  • You have USB and Headphone connected and turn D10 on. You're now using the D10 as a DAC/Amp through the connected headphones listening to the USB input but you can also be charging the battery via USB at the same time - if you switch the charge switch on at the back.
I hope that clarifies in sufficient detail.

Have fun with it - it's a great combo device!

BTW, I find the Aux output to be considerably less in voltage than my other DACs so you may be pushing the volume control up on your speaker Amp when you are using it as a DAC (but the sound is great
wink_face.gif
)

I will put it on the first post of the thread if you don't mind.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #3,913 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very comprehensive and accurate overview, Webbie...Probably should be a sticky on the D10 thread!

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will put it on the first post of the thread if you don't mind.

No probs.

Glad to be of help wherever I can.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #3,915 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by pounce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know why the light next to the volume knob of the D10 would be blinking when I am plugged into usb and have the toggle on the back switch to usb?

It means the battery is low and needs a re-charge. Flip the toggle switch at the back. The red LED should turn-on to indicate charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back