iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Oct 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #3,421 of 4,153
Iwant to let everybody know that I have created a new thread dedicated to all sorts of iBasso D10 modifications. I love nicknames and slang as much as anyone but it sure makes a barrier of entry to the audiophile world when nobody un-initiated knows what to call anything!!! As suggested, I will reiterate that this thread is for the iBasso D10 Cobra!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...ations-448183/

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #3,422 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I tell you what texas instruments has really got it going on!! I ordered my parts from them not even 48 hrs ago, they were packed and shipped within an hour of making the order and they arrived this morning!! that has got to be the most efficient order I have ever made and by a long shot. so just soldering in the OPA1612 now to try it out; I still need to go pick up some SMD or small metal film resistors for the class A mod of OPA1611 qand OPA211. time to start searching for a suitable low power dac design to adapt for portable use, utilizing the PCM1794A (1 per channel)

Qusp any news on your OPA1612 ?
Have you tried it ?

bye
Manuel

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #3,423 of 4,153
iv got the D10 and the cable with the ipod dock fitting at one end from ibasso.
when i plug it into the ibasso aux Line in... nothing the iphone/ipod plays from its tiny internal speakers. niether will link up to the D10.

iv try various combos. headphones plugged in first/last, after power is on before.
the rest wort fine..usb, octical ...

any ideas

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #3,424 of 4,153
Did you turn the power of the D10 on after you plugged in the iPod? Sometimes I have to turn the power off and back on.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3,425 of 4,153
iv done alittle of everything, even resetting the op amp and buffers to the original. removed the battery plug for a few sec, ahh. it goes back tomorow. all hail the Apogee Duet. hope that things better as a amp/dac for my mbp set up. will drive my 325is. unless the d10 fixes itself in the next 8 hours

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #3,426 of 4,153
Have you tried another source such as a portable CD player to verify whether the problem is with the D10 or with the LOD.

Also, make sure that the USB and Optical cables are UNPLUGGED when using the Aux Input, as the they will override, even with no signal present.

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3,427 of 4,153
yep all was unplugged. the line works with any source including, iphone ipod touch nano ,mac book ect with the normal headphone jack input.
its not the cable as it the second one as i returned the first one that also did this. the fuction of the iphone......ect works with all its function. it work the irst time i used it untill i unplugged it. then not again. everything thing else ie optic perfect. wierd. 6 hours till the post office opens, and then rise duet, rise.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #3,428 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolnerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iv done alittle of everything, even resetting the op amp and buffers to the original. removed the battery plug for a few sec, ahh. it goes back tomorow. all hail the Apogee Duet. hope that things better as a amp/dac for my mbp set up. will drive my 325is. unless the d10 fixes itself in the next 8 hours

The problem is with the LOD - some LOD do not have the correct pins shorted to tell the iPhone to switch from speaker to line out. Some newer iPods have the same issue with being incompatible with LOD made for the older iPods. If the iPhone is making noise, then it is the dock that is nad. If the iPhone is silent with the LOD, and the D10 is still not playing music, then turn the D10 on and off with no USB or optical cable plugged in.

I compared the Apogee and D10 side by side and they were on a similar level in terms of sound quality.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #3,429 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuel74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qusp any news on your OPA1612 ?
Have you tried it ?

bye
Manuel

yes.... just now I am using 2 x OPA1611(IA)/EL8201 and OMG!! I think I have a new contender for my favorite combo, I need to spend more time with this combo, but so far without switching back to the 4214CA (new class a topkit) I do feel that the topkit has a fight on its hands at least to these ears and with my gear. I havent tried with a variety of cans at all yet, so maybe not as consistent across the board, but with OPA1611(x2)/EL8201 buffers there is zero hiss with JH13, great bass slam and immediacy, beautiful and delicate shimmering highs, wonderfully textured mids and the widest/deepest soundstage I have heard directly out of the D10 amp section (yes perhaps bigger than topkit). power/drive seems about on par with the topkit combo, I have some OPA211 arriving in a couple of days, will see how similar they really are, will mod to class A.

I am still unsure if the mids are just a tiny tiny bit recessed, which could explain the wider more expansive stage, will find out after more listening, but I dont think so, seems overall pretty flat across the range, with no gaps or dips to mention, very well matched to the JH13. the speed even seems perfectly matched, i'm not sure I want to put the topkit back in
tongue.gif
they really have my toes/fingers tapping, very musical/engaging, yet very detailed sounding.

bear in mind I also have the blackgate mods, which is starting to burn in nicely now at about 150hrs. i'm wondering how the 1612 will go in buffer, so I soldered a couple up to test out, before I do ron, can you see anything in the spec of the OPA1612 that might cause issues in buffer?? its rail to rail

@woolnerc: its definitely your LOD man, sounds like its a regular (outdated) ipod LOD and does not present the correct resistance (not a short although shorting to ground will work with a warning) between the serial ground pin and common ground pin. you will need to get an iphone type LOD to use your iphone with ANY amp, so switching amps will not do you any good.

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3,430 of 4,153
Greetings, I've gone through the opamp list on the first page, and I'm not sure where to start. I've got the stock two that came with the unit, but havn't tried yet.

I'm very happy with the lack of hiss or noise when pairing the D10 with my UM3X (with um56 tips), and I'm rather happy with the sound and it's output (actually, the reduced output at the low end of amping is a plus). I yern for slightly *less* bass though. Maybe only 1-2db less from around 300hz down to 50. It's just a touch I know that much, everything else I'm generally happy with. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any decent EQ for most of my listening experience, so I thought I'd try a different opamp. Any suggestions (either of the two delivered or of a non-stock one). Thanks!

for a reference, three source materials that I'm using as a gauge are:

Internet Archive: Free Download: Ayurveda Live at Joe Squared on 2009-09-27
Internet Archive: Free Download: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals Live at Floydfest 8 on 2009-07-24
Internet Archive: Free Download: Emmitt Nershi Band Live at Floydfest 8 on 2009-07-23

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #3,431 of 4,153
I am terribly busy this 2 week and hence sorry for the lack of update.

I have ordered 8 pieces of BUF634, but when it arrived
I only got 1 BUF634 and 7 pieces of DAC5681. It is a really frustrating mix up for me by my supplier. The worst part is that the BUF634 was already in few weeks back but I did not discover the error as I did not open up the packaging. I only found out when I open the package.

Nevertheless I proceeded it making my lone BUF634 for the D10.
As shown on the photo one BUF634 is fitted on a socket with some rework wire. I did not get the Browndog adapter as suggested by theory_87 cause it would require 4 BUF634 for a D10. I decided to use a simpler 2 Chip solution, unfortunately, I only have 1 at the moment and could only confirm that my mod is working.

BUF634.jpg

Sound wise it is preferred over the highly popular 8201 and very similar to LME49600
But I could only test with one side with BUF634. It is very mellow.

I have decided to configure my lone BUF634 in High bandwidth (Hi-C) mode.

I am glad that QUSP liked the OPA1612, It is a nice confirmation of what I heard. Hope to hear your comments of OPA211 or OPA2211 soon. I like this as well.

I finally manage to make my ClassA adapter for TLE2142. Compared with the standard TLE2142. I must say that if you try TLE2142 you must make it class A. The standard TLE2142 is filled with sibilance.

I hope that I could get my 7 replacement BUF634 within next weekend from my supplier so that I could complete my testing. theory_87 if you want we could meet up for you to hear some of the OPAMP I have.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3,432 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I only got 1 BUF634 and 7 pieces of DAC5681. It is a really frustrating mix up for me by my supplier. The worst part is that the BUF634 was already in few weeks back but I did not discover the error as I did not open up the packaging. I only found out when I open the package.

As shown on the photo one BUF634 is fitted on a socket with some rework wire. I did not get the Browndog adapter as suggested by theory_87 cause it would require 4 BUF634 for a D10. I decided to use a simpler 2 Chip solution, unfortunately, I only have 1 at the moment and could only confirm that my mod is working.

BUF634.jpg

Sound wise it is preferred over the highly popular 8201 and very similar to LME49600
But I could only test with one side with BUF634. It is very mellow.

I have decided to configure my lone BUF634 in High bandwidth (Hi-C) mode.

I am glad that QUSP liked the OPA1612, It is a nice confirmation of what I heard. Hope to hear your comments of OPA211 or OPA2211 soon. I like this as well.

I finally manage to make my ClassA adapter for TLE2142. Compared with the standard TLE2142. I must say that if you try TLE2142 you must make it class A. The standard TLE2142 is filled with sibilance.

I hope that I could get my 7 replacement BUF634 within next weekend from my supplier so that I could complete my testing. theory_87 if you want we could meet up for you to hear some of the OPAMP I have.

sounds good. But i'm tied up with my project for this week. there is a headphone meet today in 1.5h time... are you going?

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #3,433 of 4,153
Quote:

[IG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/madwolfchin/BUF634.jpg[/IMG]

nice work there, I can see how they mixed them up like that; being that they look so similar and all
tongue.gif
looking forward to your impressions when they arrive, that may just end up being the last mod I make to the D10

Quote:

yeah i'm looking forward to hearing the 211 as well, will see on monday I imagine. what is your thoughts on the 1611 midrange?? i'm still uncertain if its just a tiny bit recessed. I only have a couple of hours on them, and have not done any comparisons as yet, havent even switched back to the topkit. regardless, its a great sound with very good body, delicacy and the largest soundstage of any opamp I have tried in D10

Quote:

yes I agree there for sure, have you modded the 211 to class A yet?? I plan to do this when they arrive. well after my SMT resistors get here, although it would probably sound better with nude S102s
evil_smiley.gif
which I may just do for kicks

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3,434 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice work there, I can see how they mixed them up like that; being that they look so similar and all
tongue.gif
looking forward to your impressions when they arrive, that may just end up being the last mod I make to the D10

One is a 8pin SOIC and the other is a 64VQFN, How did they look similar ?

Maybe they did that to torture me. Cause If they me all 8 wrongly I would not have tested it. If they send me 2 I would manage to test it fully. I could still test the Hi-C mode, Normal mode and some in-between modes, it is just a solder rework away.
The only configure I would not be able to test is the double BUF634 on each side with the Browndogs, But I did not get that anyway.

But since they sent me one I could test it only halfway. and I am left wondering what to do or how to test.

frown.gif
triportsad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

theory_87: I did not know about the headphone meet where did you see that ?

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #3,435 of 4,153
Quote:

One is a 8pin SOIC and the other is a 64VQFN, How did they look similar ?

Maybe they did that to torture me. Cause If they me all 8 wrongly I would not have tested it. If they send me 2 I would manage to test it fully. I could still test the Hi-C mode, Normal mode and some in-between modes, it is just a solder rework away.
The only configure I would not be able to test is the double BUF634 on each side with the Browndogs, But I did not get that anyway.

But since they sent me one I could test it only halfway. and I am left wondering what to do or how to test.

frown.gif
triportsad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

theory_87: I did not know about the headphone meet where did you see that ?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/si...2009-a-448677/
and
Singapore Can Slam 2009! - SGHeadphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back