iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Sep 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #3,407 of 4,153
TLE2141-CA and EL8201 as a buffer I assume is the TopKit but I could be wrong but I am enjoying it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #3,408 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "new" Topkit is the 744?

The latest and probably final Topkit for the D10 is composed of a pair of TLE2141s mounted on a 2 to 1 adapter and modified to run Class A bias. The buffers are the excellent EL8201 and a set of modified dummy opamps are also included. The dummy buffers change the SQ a bit. Some prefer the dummies, others the EL8201s. This combination does not hiss even when used with very sensitive IEMs.

The AD744OBCA Topkit sounds very good with most phones, but some users have reported hiss and/or some sibilance when using sensitive IEMs or phones.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3,409 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest and probably final Topkit for the D10 is composed of a pair of TLE2141s mounted on a 2 to 1 adapter and modified to run Class A bias. The buffers are the excellent EL8201 and a set of modified dummy opamps are also included. The dummy buffers change the SQ a bit. Some prefer the dummies, others the EL8201s.

What's the difference with/without the buffers? I haven't even been around my portable rig enough to mount the 744 kit I have, heh. I am a master procrastinator.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #3,410 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference with/without the buffers? I haven't even been around my portable rig enough to mount the 744 kit I have, heh. I am a master procrastinator.

There are some differences in soundstage and bass impact seems to be a bit stronger without buffers, but overall tonal balance and that elusive sense of realism is greater with the EL8201 buffers, IMO.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3,411 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some differences in soundstage and bass impact seems to be a bit stronger without buffers, but overall tonal balance and that elusive sense of realism is greater with the EL8201 buffers, IMO.

Soundstage using the TLE2141 Class-A is better with the EL8201 buffers, and it is less bright and open/airy without them - so with a bright IEM the dummy buffers might be a better choice. For me this new top kit is the FIRST one to sound good with all three flagship custom IEM - the UE11Pro, JH13Pro and ES3X. Usually what is good for the ES3X and JH13Pro isn't very good with the UE11Pro, and visa versa. Now the problem is solved!

And, it's the first one to sound decent with the IE8 without sounding too bright with everything else.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #3,412 of 4,153
I prefer the sound with the buffers. I find that without the bass is slightly lacking and there is a thinness to the sound I don't enjoy. With the EL8201 buffers the sound fills out and dynamics improve. There is a transparency that is excellent with dummy buffers but I find this may because there is lacking upper bass and to my ear, low bass impact.

The soundstage is big and airy with a sound you can get lost in. Great fun!

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3,413 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride1685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am still using my stock USB cable as well, but did notice an improvement in clarity and soundstage placement when switching drivers. perhaps this can be contributed to placebo effect but either way i am pretty thrilled.

i have considered upgrading to a kimber USB cable, and for only about $50 i don't think there is a huge loss if it doesn't provide a huge improvement. i will at least be confident that things will not get any worse and if i upgrade my phones in the future, perhaps there will be some more to be gained.

I do hear a difference between some USB cables, and I thought that the sound quality improvements introduced with the Kimber USB cable were worth the cost of the cable. In fact, likely a few months into the future when I have a bit more funds than I do right now, I'll likely add a $200 USB Spotlight Whiplash Audio Locus Design cable. From my experience in the past, when there's more in a USB cable, I hear it. At that time, I'll also keep the AQVOX USB ASIO driver in mind to squeeze the most from my D10 via USB. I've always enjoyed the difference when I've been able to by-pass the Windows mixer in the audio signal path in the computer.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3,414 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do hear a difference between some USB cables, and I thought that the sound quality improvements introduced with the Kimber USB cable were worth the cost of the cable. In fact, likely a few months into the future when I have a bit more funds than I do right now, I'll likely add a $200 USB Spotlight Whiplash Audio Locus Design cable. From my experience in the past, when there's more in a USB cable, I hear it. At that time, I'll also keep the AQVOX USB ASIO driver in mind to squeeze the most from my D10 via USB. I've always enjoyed the difference when I've been able to by-pass the Windows mixer in the audio signal path in the computer.

I'll admit when I tried the $200 Locus Design Spotlight I didn't try it on my best USB DACs (PS Audio and Apogee), but with the CARAT-TOPAZ and D10 I didn't think it made much of a difference. The improvements may be beyond the ability of an inexpensive USB DAC to resolve.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #3,415 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll admit when I tried the $200 Locus Design Spotlight I didn't try it on my best USB DACs (PS Audio and Apogee), but with the CARAT-TOPAZ and D10 I didn't think it made much of a difference. The improvements may be beyond the ability of an inexpensive USB DAC to resolve.

I'm interested in the USB cable to which you compared the Locus Design Spotlight (and between the two of which noticed not much difference).

I've heard a difference with USB cables back when I was using an MASantos-built Alien USB DAC, where the Monster "Ultimate Performance" (heavier construction) cable introduced really noticeable improvements in sound quality over an A-to-B USB cable that came with a Creative USB sound card I had purchased.

With the D10, I've heard:
Kimber USB cable > a heavier USB cable that came with a WD USB drive > D10 stock USB cable = Monster "High Performance" A-to-miniB USB cable.
I have to say, though, that I believe I'm already well into the diminishing returns branch of the Benefit vs Cost curve with the Kimber.

I may want to reconsider the Locus Design Spotlight purchase (and use those funds toward a HiSoundAudio Studio II when that product is offered). The main competition for my listening time using the D10 these days comes from the AMP3.

I would like to know, though, what USB cable it was to which you compared the Locus Design Spotlight USB cable.

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3,416 of 4,153
Just successfully rolled the black gates into my D10. I was a EE undergrad but have not soldered anything in 20+ years. Managed to do this with my feeble fine motor skills and poor eyesight. I already like them after only 30 hours of burn-in. Really look forward to hearing these improve. Can already hear the speed that people talk about.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and tricks. I plan on consolidating these into a single post along with a few things I discovered (by making a few mistakes!). I am running the 743/8616 top kit and think that I will have to buy this latest one.

As an aside, rhw recruited me from a Yammy thread (kind of). I was dead set on buying a Yammy and he noticed the D10 in my signature. Pointed me to a couple of specific pages in this thread and the next thing I knew I had caps on order from Parts Connexion (who by the way is great). Happy to be aboard. This is fun stuff.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3,417 of 4,153
i have just purchased HiFlight's latest topkit and am interested in learning more about other mods, including the black gate caps. perhaps we can open up this discussion to any and all other mods that people have successfully performed (or unsuccessfully performed...please offer up words of warning!) on their D10s.

below is a list of modification categories that i have learned of that seem to demonstrate a noticeable and cost-effective gain in performance on the D10:

- rolled op-amp/buffers
- alternative capacitors
- alternative cables
- alternative software....e.g. media players/drivers

has anyone tried mods related to the following:

- battery swap
- terminal/connector swap
- application of contact enhancer (to connectors and/or op-amp/buffer pins)
- volume pot swap
- DAC swap

i know this is a bit of a broad category and perhaps suitable for another thread but i thought this was as good a place as any to talk about ways to "max" out this little box of magic.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #3,418 of 4,153
I think a new thread is in order for the above post freeride1685, that is simply too much of a wide topic to cover in here without too much OT; only 3 I havent done are battery, volume pot and DAC swap, but as I said I think it better in another thread

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #3,419 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeride1685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have just purchased HiFlight's latest topkit and am interested in learning more about other mods, including the black gate caps. perhaps we can open up this discussion to any and all other mods that people have successfully performed (or unsuccessfully performed...please offer up words of warning!) on their D10s.

below is a list of modification categories that i have learned of that seem to demonstrate a noticeable and cost-effective gain in performance on the D10:

- rolled op-amp/buffers
- alternative capacitors
- alternative cables
- alternative software....e.g. media players/drivers

has anyone tried mods related to the following:

- battery swap
- terminal/connector swap
- application of contact enhancer (to connectors and/or op-amp/buffer pins)
- volume pot swap
- DAC swap

i know this is a bit of a broad category and perhaps suitable for another thread but i thought this was as good a place as any to talk about ways to "max" out this little box of magic.
ksc75smile.gif

Try them and let us know. The latest pot on the D10 is an Alps but I guess you could try digital but I don't care to do that. Maybe finding the lowest internal resistance battery might be worthwhile, if you can get the stats on one. I used to use contact enhancer but find that over time it degrades and I have used them all (well almost all) over the years. Dac swap? I don't care to mess with all the contact unless I have a wave desoldering device, which I don't. I then would want to socket and I don't think there is room for that. I guess if a proven dac is truly superior then a SMD dac would be ok but let us know. :^)

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #3,420 of 4,153
well, from the previous posts, I have a sense that I am not as knowledgeable as i initially assumed, but that is a welcoming and expected conclusion at this point in my experience on head-fi!

those of you who asked questions regarding further experience relating to batteries, etc., in previous posts....i will do my very best to create and report on another new post, regarding updates to the D10!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back