iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Oct 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #3,436 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One is a 8pin SOIC and the other is a 64VQFN, How did they look similar ?

hehe, sorry I guess you missed the facetiousness/sarcasm
ksc75smile.gif
i thought I made it obvious enough for all peoples and the use of the tongue smile, but I guess not. of course they look nothing alike. I have no idea how such a mistake could be made, very odd indeed

Quote:

Maybe they did that to torture me. Cause If they me all 8 wrongly I would not have tested it. If they send me 2 I would manage to test it fully. I could still test the Hi-C mode, Normal mode and some in-between modes, it is just a solder rework away.
The only configure I would not be able to test is the double BUF634 on each side with the Browndogs, But I did not get that anyway.

But since they sent me one I could test it only halfway. and I am left wondering what to do or how to test.

frown.gif
triportsad.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I sympathize, that must have been very frustrating and easy to think they did it to torture you
wink.gif
but i'm sure they didnt

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #3,437 of 4,153
Based on the great reviews in this thread I ordered a D10, along with a topkit from Hiflight. The last 24 hours has been an ear-opening sound experience.

Up until now I've done most of my listening through my iPhone 3GS and Grado SR80is's and been really happy. Overall I found the sound pretty inside my head but with well defined and detailed instruments. However at times I found the sound brittle, especially female voices (even with lossless audio).

When the D10 first arrived I plugged in my iPhone and Grados and immediately noticed that the sound was warmer, and the instruments a little bit more spread out. I then connected the D10 to my Macbook Pro via USB, setup the midi out, and suddenly discovered a whole different sound! Rich, clear, nice soundstage, clean base. Wow!
L3000.gif

I let it burn in last night and installed the 2141CA/EL8201 topkit. Turned it on and ... another wow moment! Bigger soundstage, richer tone in all instruments, powerful bass. Awesome.

I'm letting it burn in more as we speak. On my last listen I found the bass big but a little undefined. Hoping it will tighten up. Other than that it's already pretty great.
icon10.gif

I also ordered a Toslink to mini cable (Toslink to Toslink was included with the D10 and rather than get an adapter decided to get a single piece cable). Can't wait to hear that!

Any idea how much burn-in before things start to settle down?

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #3,438 of 4,153
We compared the D10 with the TLE2141 class-a/EL8201 to the P-51 side by side out of an iPod and the D10 comes pretty close - the P-51 has a slight lead in airy-ness and open-ness with a slight difference in the mids as well, but overall it's very good.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #3,439 of 4,153
I have opa1611, opa211 and buf634 on the way from TI. Should be fun comparing those opamp. Need to order those brown dog adaptor... Planning to use opa1611ca *2, buf 634 Hi-C *4. I'm sure the battery drain will be huge too. But as long as it doesn't finsh before my h140 does, I'm happy
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #3,440 of 4,153
I dont know if class A has any benefit on the 1611, its already a very smooth, but detailed opamp. all the same i'm gonna give it a whirl as well. the 1611 i'm running currently are plain as they are, I only had the browndogs which place one on top of the other rather than side-by-side, so not so suitable for the class A mod, but I have some of the side by side versions on their way and will make class A 211 and 1611. BTW, the 1612 does indeed make a very good buffer

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #3,441 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know if class A has any benefit on the 1611, its already a very smooth, but detailed opamp. all the same i'm gonna give it a whirl as well. the 1611 i'm running currently are plain as they are, I only had the browndogs which place one on top of the other rather than side-by-side, so not so suitable for the class A mod, but I have some of the side by side versions on their way and will make class A 211 and 1611. BTW, the 1612 does indeed make a very good buffer

No worry... I have 4 of each on the way to play with
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #3,442 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have opa1611, opa211 and buf634 on the way from TI. Should be fun comparing those opamp. Need to order those brown dog adaptor... Planning to use opa1611ca *2, buf 634 Hi-C *4. I'm sure the battery drain will be huge too. But as long as it doesn't finsh before my h140 does, I'm happy
biggrin.gif

With 4 Hi-C BUF634s, I would suspect that your H140 will outlast the D10! CA does not take much more power, but full bias to Hi-C with 100 ohm resistors, the current draw is about 15ma/device. With 220 ohm resistors, the draw decreases to about 8ma each. The bandwidth also decreases with the larger value resistor.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3,443 of 4,153
How can the buf634 even work though at the low voltage of the D10? It might work for a short while but the voltage will dip right away with the current draw.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3,444 of 4,153
Then, do the experiments. See how long the D10 can sustain with buf634. That is the beauty of the D10. We have many 'hackers' around here, I am sure, one of them will found the 'golden' opamps combo, and leveled-up our beloved D10
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #3,445 of 4,153
No pain no game... No harm trying though... I'm sure madwolf will be ahead of me..

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #3,446 of 4,153
yeah madwolf does certainly seem to be leading the pack, I will be suitably impressed if yo can get the BUF634 running for more than a few hours

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3,447 of 4,153
I did not know there is a competition going on. Much less in the lead. To be honest when I bought the D10, I have no intention of modding or even rolling op-amp. I wounder how many of you would believe me. I would have chosen a much cheaper amp maybe D2 Boa if I were to start all over.

I have my D10, with 2*OPA211 in the LR and 2* LME49600 in High Bandwidth mode running for more than 12 hours yesterday. And now on the same set of battery I am running 2*ADA4899 and 2*OPA634 in High bandwidth mode (Yes my replacement OPA634 are in
darthsmile.gif
). For the 12 hours running 2*OPA211 and 2*LME49600 the volume is at 12 o'clock powering my HD595. I am surprise it last this long. It is still strong while I am typing this. My aim was to test the battery life but since it is more than 12 hours I guess there are nothing to complain about and 4 BUF634 is a possibility.

Sound wise BUF634 beats the 8201, no contest here. There is a certain confidence that the BUF634 bring. With the 8201 there seem to be something missing around the mid. With BUF634 it is all there balance smooth and effortless.

The LME49600 and BUF634 are as expected very similar, but there is a difference in how they sound. But within the short test I cannot pin down the differences. I wounder how much time I would need as it is very close.

Hopefully I would get some time this week to test out the difference between the Normal mode and Hi-C modes of the BUF634. and maybe get the double socket browndog to test out double buf634 in the D10.

And
confused_face_2.gif
I have yet to start my capacitors rolling !!!!!

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #3,448 of 4,153
I am not sure whether there is post about this article here yet. I saw the brief reviews of iBasso D10 in What Hi*Fi? October 2009, page 11.

iBasso D10 Headphone amp review - from the experts at whathifi.com
1) 279 GBP. Quite pricey in UK, compared in US or other countries.
2) With Grado SR60i, Quote:

#Against
Slight loss of attack and softness to bass

But, with my IEMs, the bass is solid. Might be they can try the opamp-rolling, the get better sound.

Thank you.

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #3,449 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not know there is a competition going on. Much less in the lead. To be honest when I bought the D10, I have no intention of modding or even rolling op-amp. I wounder how many of you would believe me. I would have chosen a much cheaper amp maybe D2 Boa if I were to start all over.

it was a figure of speach, but yes there has been lets say a holy grail of runing OPA637/BUF634 or similar, so I was only referring to the fact that you seem to be the one pushing forward at the moment. its not a competition so to speak. so with your statement above, I take it you dont use optical?? I dont understand, the D2 to these ears via USB is not as pleasant as the D10.

Quote:

I have my D10, with 2*OPA211 in the LR and 2* LME49600 in High Bandwidth mode running for more than 12 hours yesterday. And now on the same set of battery I am running 2*ADA4899 and 2*OPA634 in High bandwidth mode (Yes my replacement OPA634 are in
darthsmile.gif
). For the 12 hours running 2*OPA211 and 2*LME49600 the volume is at 12 o'clock powering my HD595. I am surprise it last this long. It is still strong while I am typing this. My aim was to test the battery life but since it is more than 12 hours I guess there are nothing to complain about and 4 BUF634 is a possibility.

ok interesting indeed. I will have to get some BUF634 afterall, I always assumed they wouldnt be stable in the D10 due to lower current and the fact the they tend to be picky even under ideal circumstances.

Quote:

Sound wise BUF634 beats the 8201, no contest here. There is a certain confidence that the BUF634 bring. With the 8201 there seem to be something missing around the mid. With BUF634 it is all there balance smooth and effortless.

agreed, with 8201 as buffer with 1611, there was something in the mids that I couldnt quite put my finger on either, as you will see in my posts on the subject a couple of pages ago. its interesting that you had the same experience. OK BUF634 it is.

Quote:

The LME49600 and BUF634 are as expected very similar, but there is a difference in how they sound. But within the short test I cannot pin down the differences. I wounder how much time I would need as it is very close.

man I hope this is the last opamp roll, I have now spent pretty close to the cost of the dac itself again in opamps. although I havent even attempted to sell any off, I might do that, since I have a tin chick full of them that i'm not using including both topkits.

Quote:

Hopefully I would get some time this week to test out the difference between the Normal mode and Hi-C modes of the BUF634. and maybe get the double socket browndog to test out double buf634 in the D10.

LOL, I think i'll leave it at 2, I like my battery life how it is

Quote:

And
confused_face_2.gif
I have yet to start my capacitors rolling !!!!!

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
good luck with that, blackgate or silmic?? the muse sounded ok (latest update) for the brief time I ; listened to them.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #3,450 of 4,153
I received my D10 a couple of days ago. It's obviously not burned in yet, but with the stock opamps they definitely sound less harmonic then the P51. I ordered the latest topkit from HiFlight and hope things will improve. I do like the DAC straight out-of-the-box in combination with P51. I'm using the great looking iBasso CB01 as an interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back