iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #2,687 of 4,153
How accurate is iBasso's claim that battery life is around 30 hours when used as a standalone dac/amp and 20 hours when used as a combo? And for what gain setting is this?

I charged my D10 via the AC adapter several days ago and the charge time was quite exact as said on the manual - around 6 hours.

I've been using it since over the past 3 days mostly as a combo unit so I figured that if I use it around 7-8 hours a day, the battery life claim is correct. Can't say/remember exactly if I use it that much though.

Would the fact that I use it almost at full-gain (gain switch up; knob at 3 o'clock) affect the battery life? In other words, does a high gain setting drain the battery faster than a low gain setting?

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #2,688 of 4,153
The more power you use from the amp the faster the battery goes down. The energy has to come from battery and it depends upon the current draw of the phones you are using.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #2,690 of 4,153
I was supposed to ask if when charging, is it not advisable to only charge halfway and then use the D10/recharge the unit again after sometime? Must it always be drained before charging and fully charged after charging?

Then I read this and found it interesting. From Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

LiPoly batteries must be charged carefully. The basic algorithm is to charge at constant current (1C to 2C depending on manufacturer) until each cell reaches 4.2 V, the charger must then gradually reduce the charge current while holding the cell voltage at 4.2 volts until the charge current has dropped to 10% of the initial charge rate at which point the battery is considered 100% charged.

Balance charging simply means that the charger monitors the voltage of each cell in a pack and varies the charge on a per-cell basis so that all cells are brought to the same voltage.

The charge should not be terminated on reaching a cell voltage of 4.2 V because the capacity reached at that point is only 70% of full capacity; charging at the reducing current necessary to hold the cell voltage at or very near 4.2 V must be continued until the charge current drops to 10% of the initial charge rate.

It is important to note that trickle charging is not acceptable for lithium batteries; Li-ion chemistry cannot accept an overcharge without causing damage to the cell, possibly plating out lithium metal and becoming hazardous. Most manufacturers claim a maximum and minimum voltage of 4.23 and 3.0 volts per cell. Taking any cell outside these limits can reduce the cell's capacity and ability to deliver full rated current.

Most dedicated lithium polymer chargers use a charge timer for safety; this cuts the charge after a predefined time (typically 90 minutes).

Yet on iBasso's Owner Manual for the D10, it says:

"The D10 has overcharge protection; you can leave the D10 plugged and no over-charging concerns."

I wonder how iBasso handled this in light of the bolded statement above.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #2,692 of 4,153
BURN IN QUESTION:

If I plug the D10 into my USB from the computer and let er rip..... should I switch the charge switch to on or off? Can I do both at the same time? Better to kill a battery then recharge / do over?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #2,693 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by shredder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BURN IN QUESTION:

If I plug the D10 into my USB from the computer and let er rip..... should I switch the charge switch to on or off? Can I do both at the same time? Better to kill a battery then recharge / do over?

You can do both. I usually drain the battery on mine before the I charge it again.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #2,696 of 4,153
I leave mine on charge all the time. The battery has a certain amount of cycles. A cycle is a total discharge and recharge. If you discharge 1/4 and recharge you have 1/4 of a cycle. I prefer to cycle my battery much less as it will last longer and I find no reason to discharge my battery all the time.

To burn in I leave the switch on.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2,697 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet on iBasso's Owner Manual for the D10, it says:

"The D10 has overcharge protection; you can leave the D10 plugged and no over-charging concerns."

I wonder how iBasso handled this in light of the bolded statement above.

Most manufacturer's include circuitry on Li-ion powered devices to prevent the battery from ever seeing these conditions.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2,698 of 4,153
I got about 28 hours of run time on battery when used as an optical DAC/amp with the AD8656 opamp and bypassed buffers.

I tried once to test the hours with the Hiflight top kit using it as a USB DAC/amp, but at 23 hours I discovered iTunes was locked up and the battery was not drained yet, However, I have no idea how many hours of that 23 was with no music playing (middle of the night).

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #2,699 of 4,153
Try the LT1355. 1 mA per channel of quiescent current and sounds better than two LME49710.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #2,700 of 4,153
I just received the ibasso D10 about 30 minutes ago. I have an apple powerbook G4, and wanted to know if there is a way to know if both the amp AND the DAC are being used when I connect to the powerbook G4, versus G4. How can I use both the amp + dac, the dac by itself, and the amp itself and know that I am doing so?
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back