iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #2,656 of 4,153
Just a note
playing Philip Glass Solo Piano
is very authentic with the D10 (228CA/8656) - HFI-780 mod.
from the deep bass to the clear treble
the DAC section
feeding a Shek H1 removes details, dynamic, space while giving a similar balance (2227),
feeding a D3 smoothes the sound with less resolution, too (nevertheless fine)
D10, DAC+amp, is more like being there.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #2,657 of 4,153
There is a ground spring under the pc board, towards the back. Ensure that you compress it lightly so that it does not get snag to the case. I use a very small screw driver to lift the opamp and buffers slightly before I lift them off with my fingers.

Also, I don't remove the volume knob. I just unscrew the four screws on the front then pull the board from the front.

When putting the board back in, make sure that the LEDs at the back are aligned to their holes.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #2,659 of 4,153
At the side of the board where the caps are located there is some antistatic foil frapped around the board. Do no wrinkle it by sliding in the board in the case. - Handle with care.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2,660 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a ground spring under the pc board, towards the back. Ensure that you compress it lightly so that it does not get snag to the case. I use a very small screw driver to lift the opamp and buffers slightly before I lift them off with my fingers.

Also, I don't remove the volume knob. I just unscrew the four screws on the front then pull the board from the front.

When putting the board back in, make sure that the LEDs at the back are aligned to their holes.

Yep, forgot about the spring. Thanks, Wuwhere.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2,661 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the side of the board where the caps are located there is some antistatic foil frapped around the board. Do no wrinkle it by sliding in the board in the case. - Handle with care.

Hmmm...never noticed it before...I'll have to take a look

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #2,662 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, forgot about the spring. Thanks, Wuwhere.

beerchug.gif

Excellent how-to steps.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2,663 of 4,153
Quote:

Hmmm...never noticed it before...I'll have to take a look

Unfortunately you will notice it when it is tearing.
Always slide in smoothly.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #2,664 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, it's that dangerous to roll opamps, eh?

No it isn't. I have never damaged opamps with ESD... They will get physically damaged due to repeated insertion-removal much sooner.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do pay attention to grounding my hands a while before I touch them. But not with bracelets
regular_smile .gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #2,665 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it isn't. I have never damaged opamps with ESD... They will get physically damaged due to repeated insertion-removal much sooner.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do pay attention to grounding my hands a while before I touch them. But not with bracelets
regular_smile .gif

I agree with hopeless...I have made up hundreds of opamp kits and adapters, and have never had one damaged by static electricity. My iron, however, is a grounded iron, and of course it never hurts to err on the safe side.

Virtually all of my PMs and emails regarding "bad" opamps are ones that have been damaged by inserting with the polarity reversed.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #2,667 of 4,153
Quote:

Fuseboxx, first let's answer your questions: I feel the D10's best attributes are its clarity, detail and "speed" (no smearing). I agree with you that the D10 isn't the fullest or has the most bass response. However, the bass it has is very tight and punchy...

I feel the D10 does slightly better as a DAC than stand alone amp (actually, I feel it does both jobs admirably). Mainly because other stand alone amps tend give me a fuller sound...

I can't vouch for the "speed" since I never really was able to translate the concept of PRaT to my listening, but I agree with this for the most part. Although just to clarify, I didn't say that the D10 isn't the fullest or has the most bass response
biggrin.gif
In fact, I find the D10 to be quite full and bassy.

The reason why I say I prefer it as an amp is because when I use it chained with my iPod Classic, I still experience that detail and spaciousness I hear when using it as a combo, which is IMO the D10's greatest asset aurally.

Thanks for the Opamp Rolling guide as well! If I'm able to find a ground strap and static bag, I might gather up the courage to open up my D10 in a few months
dt880smile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know that I can answer the last question. I prefer to use it as a DAC and AMP at the same time, and use it a lot with my Macbook to listen to music with my custom IEM.

Well, if you find time to do a comparison, it would be appreciated since I'm quite intrigued to hear other people's impressions/comparisons of the D10 as a:

- standalone amp
vs
- standalone DAC
vs
- combo

Particularly what traits in SQ are more attributed to the amp vs the DAC sections, and how they are retained as a combo unit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like what I said above regarding how I prefer the D10 as a standalone amp rather than a standalone DAC, I find that as a standalone amp, the sound is thinner and the bass is less punchy compared to when used as a combo. That's why I initially said that I think the fullness of the sound is more attributed to the DAC.

Although:

Caveat 1: I'm open to the fact that what I probably perceive as bass response and fullness of sound might also be due to how airy and spacious the sound from the D10 is, which is especially notable since...

Caveat 2: I'm using a pair of Beyer DT770 '07 250ohm headphones, which have been recabled with cryo-treated Mogami cables. This makes the DT770 more sensitive with a heightened bass response as compared to the stock version.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #2,669 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't vouch for the "speed" since I never really was able to translate the concept of PRaT to my listening, but I agree with this for the most part. Although just to clarify, I didn't say that the D10 isn't the fullest or has the most bass response
biggrin.gif
In fact, I find the D10 to be quite full and bassy.

The reason why I say I prefer it as an amp is because when I use it chained with my iPod Classic, I still experience that detail and spaciousness I hear when using it as a combo, which is IMO the D10's greatest asset aurally.

Thanks for the Opamp Rolling guide as well! If I'm able to find a ground strap and static bag, I might gather up the courage to open up my D10 in a few months
dt880smile.png

Well, if you find time to do a comparison, it would be appreciated since I'm quite intrigued to hear other people's impressions/comparisons of the D10 as a:

- standalone amp
vs
- standalone DAC
vs
- combo

Particularly what traits in SQ are more attributed to the amp vs the DAC sections, and how they are retained as a combo unit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like what I said above regarding how I prefer the D10 as a standalone amp rather than a standalone DAC, I find that as a standalone amp, the sound is thinner and the bass is less punchy compared to when used as a combo. That's why I initially said that I think the fullness of the sound is more attributed to the DAC.

Although:

Caveat 1: I'm open to the fact that what I probably perceive as bass response and fullness of sound might also be due to how airy and spacious the sound from the D10 is, which is especially notable since...

Caveat 2: I'm using a pair of Beyer DT770 '07 250ohm headphones, which have been recabled with cryo-treated Mogami cables. This makes the DT770 more sensitive with a heightened bass response as compared to the stock version.

I've done all the testing I wish to do (including as a DAC and as an AMP), and posted it in my big USB DAC Amp review - I have a link to all my reviews in my public profile "about me" section.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2,670 of 4,153
^ Yup read that too. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a few questions regarding rolling opamps:

1) What are the buffers for? And what does bypassing the buffers do? I've read that the AD8656 /w bypassed buffers has received a lot of praise, so I want to try it eventually.

2) Will certain opamp combinations increase or decrease the volume/gain from the D10? I'm using the D10 with the knob at 3 o'clock right now with my DT770-250 ('05), so I just want to know if some combinations might decrease the volume output.

3) Can you use the opamp chips provided both for the main sockets (is this the correct term?) and the buffers? Meaning I can use the AD8656 for the main socket and I can place the AD8656 as buffers as well? What difference does this make?

Any additional information anyone might want to provide will be appreciated as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back