iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 6, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2,671 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yup read that too. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a few questions regarding rolling opamps:

1) What are the buffers for? And what does bypassing the buffers do? I've read that the AD8656 /w bypassed buffers has received a lot of praise, so I want to try it eventually.

They help with impedance matching of the outputs and headphones, and can also improve the current output of the amp if the main opamp isn't powerful enough, plus they also can help tune the sound if the sound of the main opamp isn't quite what you are looking for.

2) Will certain opamp combinations increase or decrease the volume/gain from the D10? I'm using the D10 with the knob at 3 o'clock right now with my DT770-250 ('05), so I just want to know if some combinations might decrease the volume output.

They can, but I have not paid much attention to the volume knob positions with alternate opamps, as long as the normal listening volume is adequate for me with all my headphones.

3) Can you use the opamp chips provided both for the main sockets (is this the correct term?) and the buffers? Meaning I can use the AD8656 for the main socket and I can place the AD8656 as buffers as well? What difference does this make?

Yes, but you'd need 3 AD8656 to do that and it only comes with 2 of them. I do have three total, and that combo is a little to brihgt for my tastes.

Any additional information anyone might want to provide will be appreciated as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Just read through the thread and you'll find lots of info about how different opamp combos work.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #2,673 of 4,153
I just did the opamp-rolling. No sweat
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks for the step by step guide.
Now, my current combo is . ADA4841-2/AD8656 . Almost similar to stock combo, but seem to be little brighter/sparkle. Nice synergy with UM3Xs
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll leave this combo for a while, for burn-in (mental and physical).

I also tried AD8656/bypass, not bad too. Very little hiss, little bigger soundstage. Will consider this in my next opamp rolling. Now reading the opamp's datasheets to appreciate their performance
smily_headphones1.gif

1 question. Is it possible to put the bypass at L/R opamp slot? Example : bypass/AD8656

Thank you.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2,674 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Now, my current combo is . ADA4841-2/AD8656 . Almost similar to stock combo, but seem to be little brighter/sparkle. Nice synergy with UM3Xs
smily_headphones1.gif

I also tried AD8656/bypass, not bad too. Very little hiss, little bigger soundstage. Will consider this in my next opamp rolling. Now reading the opamp's datasheets to appreciate their performance
smily_headphones1.gif

1 question. Is it possible to put the bypass at L/R opamp slot? Example : bypass/AD8656

Thank you.

Then you'd have no sound.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2,675 of 4,153
Could any well-informed and knowledgable head-fier KINDLY summarise the salient points of (and the discussion so far on) Ibasso D10? It will be very useful and helpful for general users/potential buyers of Ibasso D10.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2,676 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks HA. I've actually started to read and search through the thread for various bits of info, but it's a bit daunting to do so for a 179-page thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Really interested in rolling the opamps, but I've only got around 25 hours on my D10 so far and haven't mustered enough moxie to open it up so far.

If you go to page 30 of the thread and scroll down a bit, you will find a post that I made that lists some of the characteristics of opamps that work, and some opamps that don't work in the D10. This is, by no means, a complete list, but at that time, it was all that I had tested to date.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2,677 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that all of my Norah Jones albums sound the same way at higher volume levels...I think it may be the fault of the recording engineers. The recordings sound overdriven to me. They are the only albums that sound this way.

Hmmm...listening now...I don't get any overdriven sound at all...as someone who has done some (semi-pro) recording and mixing, my experience tells me that Norah Jones's vocal style does not lend toward clipping while recording (She's a very laid-back singer whose songs aren't about high volumes or aggressive tones). Without hearing what you hear, it is difficult to say what is really happening.

But her engineers are ALL well respected, industry vets with decades of experience.

Between Jay Newland (Nocturne, Missy Higgins 10x platinum release "The Sound of White"), Arif Mardin (Aretha Franklin, Bee Gees, Bette Mittler), Husky Huskolds (Grammy winning engineer - Tom Waits, Ani DiFranco, Fiona Apple), it is 99.99999999999% IMPOSSIBLE that there is an issue with the recording process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely agree with you on the sound. That's why I've been using it often to see if the amp makes it better. I love Norah Jones but have found her voice a bit harsh at times without an amp. the D10 really smoothed her voice where it was really nice with no shrill or harshness up until now.

Again, not sure what's going on. Her voice is not harsh to me, either amped or unamped. Without getting into unimportant detail, I know her vocal chain (equipment used) is very, very high end and was specifically matched to her vocals.

I think the telling information is when you listen to her live. Not a hint of harshness.

Hope this helps

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #2,678 of 4,153
I don't know who else here are listening or have tried the EL8201 buffers/AD744 (output bypassed class A) besides HiFlight and HPA.
I've always liked heavily class-A biased amps having owned Krell class-A mono-blocks.
I PMed HiFlight that I really like them. He suggested that I share my impressions here.
I had the AD8656 opamp before this.
My set-up is an iHP-120 > D10 DAC/AMP -> ER4S/ER4P. I let them cooked overnight before listening.
I listened to two songs that I am very familiar with, Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over and the Police's Tea In The Sahara.
Compared to the stock buffers/opamp, On Hotel California, the bass is deeper, more pronounced, more weight,and more body.
The ER4S has much better bass than the ER4P, I compared both. I heard the the same with the Tea In The Sahara, which also
has some deep bass and kick drums. Also, the EL8201/AD744 are less bright than the stock or AD8656.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2,679 of 4,153
Hello everyone,
My ibasso d10 arrived at head-fier bonthouse's place today (samurai connections) a diyer here in NL. My ibasso had taken an unfortunate hit a week ago on myd esk and although it was working hwile not being moved around, if i moved it too much the signal would cut out. Luckily he is good with a solder iron and the unit is now FIXED! Whic makes me very happy because it is the most useful, best little piece of audio gear I have bought so far (well probbably the best piece of gear, period). I hope to have the new topkit soo nwhich he will install.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2,680 of 4,153
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

hehe; then you'de have some really built up silence
smily_headphones1.gif
the buffers would really make the most of it
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2,683 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Its funny really! Bonthouse only has the ibasso for a day and now its the number one on his to buy list. I have already converted 2 people to ibasso, lol.
Greetings, Anouk,

But I get the credit for making you buy one! So, if it wasn't for me they wouldn't buy them either...
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #2,685 of 4,153
Quote:

^^^ .. Ha ha ha
smily_headphones1.gif
... The proof of MLM and pyramid scheme existence in head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
T

That is exactly what I was thinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back